Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

15 minutes ago, visionary said:

Seems the Republican candidate should be in trouble too.

From what I've read up until now, even though he knew his campaign staff were collecting signatures for Brown, there seems to be some plausible deniability for him. It's obviously shady, but probably not illegal. It should be. His 'Regional Field Director in Charge of Recruitment" seems to be taking most of the heat. I think most, if not all, of the fraudulent signatures were collected by her. She's getting sued though. Maybe that'll bring out a little more info on if Taylor knew more about it. I didn't want to post two Virginian Pilot tweets in the same post, but here's a tweet from a little later.

****ing gerrymandered Scott Taylor's district too so that Republicans could squeak out wins there by shoving all of the black voters in Hampton Roads into the 3rd.  Makes no damn sense that my in-laws' well to do white neighborhood that is five minutes away from me votes in a different congressional district than I do.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

****ing gerrymandered Scott Taylor's district too so that Republicans could squeak out wins there by shoving all of the black voters in Hampton Roads into the 3rd.  Makes no damn sense that my in-laws' well to do white neighborhood that is five minutes away from me votes in a different congressional district than I do.

is that one of the required minority districts?....they do suck.

1 hour ago, twa said:

is that one of the required minority districts?....they do suck.

No it's a district where Republicans in 2010 said, "Hey there are a lot of black people living in urban areas along the James River.  Let's stick them all in one absurd district so the ones around them will go Republican."  And then after a court finally struck down their outrageous district four years later, they decided that it made sense to keep the white neighborhoods of Norfolk and the end of the middle peninsula separate from all of their surrounding area so that Republicans could keep the 2nd district white and Republican.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No it's a district where Republicans in 2010 said, "Hey there are a lot of black people living in urban areas along the James River.  Let's stick them all in one absurd district so the ones around them will go Republican."  And then after a court finally struck down their outrageous district four years later, they decided that it made sense to keep the white neighborhoods of Norfolk and the end of the middle peninsula separate from all of their surrounding area so that Republicans could keep the 2nd district white and Republican.

wiki says it is

The district's current configuration dates to 1993, when the Justice Department ordered Virginia to create a majority-minority district. At that time, portions of the old 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th districts were combined to create a new 3rd District.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia's_3rd_congressional_district#Historical_district_boundaries

I live in one as well

24 minutes ago, twa said:

wiki says it is 

I live in one as well 

It and the surrounding districts have been redrawn several times since 1993.  In 2014 a court struck down the district map as an unconstitutional because of it's extreme racial gerrymandering designed to keep the 2nd and 4th districts Republican.  As soon as they had to redraw it, the 4th went Democrat.  It's still gerrymandered, the third is one of the most partisan districts in the state despite the fact that Hampton Roads is one of the only purple places left in Virginia.  The second district would easily go Democrat too AND the third would remain a majority minority district if it weren't for how gerrymandered the region still is.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It and the surrounding districts have been redrawn several times since 1993.  In 2014 a court struck down the district map as an unconstitutional because of it's extreme racial gerrymandering designed to keep the 2nd and 4th districts Republican.  As soon as they had to redraw it, the 4th went Democrat.  It's still gerrymandered, the third is one of the most partisan districts in the state despite the fact that Hampton Roads is one of the only purple places left in Virginia.  The second district would easily go Democrat too AND the third would remain a majority minority district if it weren't for how gerrymandered the region still is.

So it IS a required minority majority district

Archived