Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Cousins Play For The Skins In 2018

Veryoldschool

Will Cousins Be Back In 2018?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cousins play for the Skins in 2018?

• Yes, as part of a LTD.
    • Yes, on a tag for a year
    • No, the Skins tag him and manage to trade him
    • No, the Skins let Cousins walk and he signs a LTD with another team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:02 PM

For the majority that want Cousins gone for a rookie and saying "go and get a Wentz" do you realize we are not picking 1 or 2? Any team that needs a QB could jump before us and draft a QB (none are even all that impressive)  and then what? 

Also,  if you want Cousins gone because you think the FO is dysfunctional, how do you think this same dysfunctional organization will fit better with a rookie or QB unfamiliar with how things roll? 

I know the season is ending in disappointing fashion but the right thing to do is keep our own in house talent and work on the defense. 

BTW folks remember this is all supposed to be a form of entertainment.  Seems some of you are mentally exhausted when it comes to this team. We cannot control any of these decisions they make. Even if you decide not to spend on merchandise and games the TV revenue will do them just fine. So please try to enjoy! ?

16 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Now, as far as those SD radio guys not having a clue about the team... are you sure? OK, I'll admit... Gruden has LATELY been saving those TO's for near the last quarters of the games instead of wasting them all in the 1st and 3rd for menial reasons.

They implied the current structure of our O line is our typical O line at its best.   McVay was the brains behind Jay -- I like McVay but it was Jay's offense not the other way around.  And they made it pretty clear that their main dose of the Redskins was watching what they saw last Sunday.

I don't expect some SD local sports reporters to have a handle on the Redskins - to me those guys came off as just passable as being conversant on the team let alone have the pulse on how to lay out the team's future.

6 hours ago, Audible_Red40 said:

No friggin clue what is going to happen, but will guess that they eventually get a LTD done.

You may not know precisely what is going to happen but you know it's going to involve quite a bit of :rofl89:for every other teams fans. 

We get to laugh at the Browns, 30 other teams fans get to laugh at us both.

2 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Based on what? Been playing a bit longer than Kirk and hasn't done it. I've watched him play 3 times this year. Looked like crap. I know he isn't crap, but he was those days.

I know. It was just a tongue and cheek between the two. That's why I put in "sometime."

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They implied the current structure of our O line is our typical O line at its best.   McVay was the brains behind Jay -- I like McVay but it was Jay's offense not the other way around.  And they made it pretty clear that their main dose of the Redskins was watching what they saw last Sunday.

I don't expect some SD local sports reporters to have a handle on the Redskins - to me those guys came off as just passable as being conversant on the team let alone have the pulse on how to lay out the team's future.

All they said as far as the Oline is we could use improvement in the Oline,QB, and Defense. Three pivot points at 3:37. OK, you disagree with QB and Oline. But if you think they're going to all stay healthy (Oline) next year and on out... think again. I personally would have liked to have kept McVay as HC and send Gruden to LA, but of course the timing for that was way off. Saying this is Jay's offense isn't really saying much. The game they saw was the Dallas game. And of course we repeated what they were talking about the following week with the Chargers. 

Now, as far as Kirk is involved (part of the pivot point)... and since I know most like to completely absolve Kirk from any responsibility I'd like to remind you of a few things:

Kirk for the season (so far) has a QBR of 54.5... that's out of 100
Kirk for the season (so far) has a passer rating of 97.7... that's out of 158.3
Kirk for the season (so far) has 5 games where he has thrown only 1TD in the contest.. we're 1-4 in those games. The only game we won is the only game he didn't accompany his 1TD with 1 INT.
Kirk for the season (so far) has 7 games where his QBR failed to even get into the 50's
Kirk for the season (so far) has 8 games where his passer rating failed to reach the 100's.
Kirk for the season (so far) has 22TDs (passing) to 9INTs... his career numbers of 2:1 TD:INT suggest at least one more terrible game is ahead. He's just under 2:1 now, one more bad game should settle him at his avg.

My biggest problems with Kirk are:

1) Lack of ability to create a play on the fly.  Lack of ability to scramble, extend the play, or make something out of seemingly nothing. 

2) He has awful ball security. When getting rushed and the pocket is collapsing he does not place two hands on the ball and secure it.  He keeps it in one hand. That is the reason he fumbles on the strip sacks. 

3) He is still below average at moving through progressions. He always, and I mean always looks for the primary target on each play. If he looks at his 2nd and 3rd options many times they are wide open and Kirk does not see them. I like QB's that do things like run through the progressions, look off the safety, and do other things to find the open man. Basically, he is a one read QB. 

If they keep him I am OK with that as long as it is not for 28 mil dollars or something crazy like that. He is taking up nearly 25 mil of the salary cap right now. Do I think Kirk cousins is worth 20% of the entire salary cap?  Hell no.

28 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

If they keep him I am OK with that as long as it is not for 28 mil dollars or something crazy like that. He is taking up nearly 25 mil of the salary cap right now. Do I think Kirk cousins is worth 20% of the entire salary cap?  Hell no.

I disagree with most of that critique but I'm burnt out on Kirk debates. :) I've probably written an encyclopedia of stats/narratives/sources that make the case for Kirk.  So I'll rest on that and agree to disagree.

As for the 20% drill.  I agree with you there.  But that IMO is likely a false narrative.  I've explained why on other threads and I don't feel like repeating it here but in short I think you get Kirk in the 15% cap range if you give into more than 2 seasons of fully guaranteed money in the contract.

The 34 million drill and Kirk not wanting to do a LTD -- to me is likely a combination of Bruce/Dan not willing to behave with Kirk the way they fawn over other players they like to keep in the fold and sign -- coupled with the guaranteed money issue.  In short, if Kirk doesn't care for Bruce/Dan because he sees them as incompetent and jerks and they refuse to commit to him long term -- then the remaining option is to keep Kirk in an expensive rental.

In my view, its Dan/Bruce holding the QB position in this hostage like situation via their dysfunction, stubborness and ego -- versus this being about Kirk holding the team hostage.   The 20% drill to me is on Bruce.  That would be because he decided to continue to play the game the way he's played it.

3 more games and then 3 months of Dan Snyder sitting on his hands amidst a steady stream of stupid news stories until Snyder makes a decision to transition tag Kirk or not.  If Snyder decides to tag him Kirks play another year for 29M, I think the chance of him signing an offer sheet with another club while under the transition tag is zero.  if Snyder doesn't tag Kirk I think Cousins bolts for a strong franchise, not the biggest offer, which is why I am confident he will not sign an offer sheet while transition tagged. 

Part of me really wants to see what the team could do in 2018 with reasonable health so even if it is just another stupid transition tag year.  Another part of me wants this impasse finally ended even if it means my favorite player by far moves on because I am sick of this story and it might be really fun to follow Kirk with a good franchise.  I assume Kirk is going to pick a strong team if free to choose rather than tie himself to a loser for the biggest deal.  I don't expect the Skins to manfully announce in the short term that they will be moving on from Cousins because that would be the decent and honorable thing to do, when has Snyder ever done that?  Snyder will want to feel in charge by kicking the can down the road as long as he can so I don't expect to know until March 15 or whatever the deadline is for tagging a guy.

19 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

if Snyder doesn't tag Kirk I think Cousins bolts for a strong franchise, not the biggest offer, which is why I am confident he will not sign an offer sheet while transition tagged. 

I agree with this part.  I think Kirk is telling the truth when he says money isn't the #1 thing.  I am sure he's determined to get a fair offer so money is part of the equation.  However, I believe him when he alludes to being unsure about this organization and is more or less auditioning them.  

I gather if Dan goes full blown meltdown in the offseason, Kirk bolts for sure.

Staying on topic, RG3 weighing in on Kirk's future, the irony: :)

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/robert-griffin-iii-listed-best-places-kirk-cousins-end-and-he-left-redskins?utm_content=buffer79818&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

...And, surely enough, come Wednesday afternoon, the stars aligned and the question was asked on NFL Live: Where, in Griffin's opinion, was the best place for Cousins to land this offseason?

"I think it depends on what he's trying to do," Griffin began.

...Don't worry, he doesn't stop there. In fact, he saved the good stuff for the latter half of his answer.

"He's had it all on his shoulders in Washington, and we've seen the result," Cousins' draft classmate continued. "But if he's got a great defense like, say, Denver, say, Jacksonville, it makes it easier for him as a quarterback. Whereas in Cleveland, he's gonna have to go in and he's gonna have to do more of the workload."

So, the Browns, Broncos and Jaguars are among the teams Griffin considers options for Cousins. But, uh, what about the one he's on right now?

"I don't think it's Washington, just because of, you've seen what's been going on," he said. "Do they want him there? Does he want to be there?"

This isn't to say that the former rookie of the year doesn't bring up valid points; Cousins has had to play with below-average defenses for much of his career in D.C. and the franchise hasn't exactly shown a ton of admiration for him.

But nevertheless, it was interesting to see Griffin declare wish such confidence that his old backup needs to bolt from the Redskins and head elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with this part.  I think Kirk is telling the truth when he says money isn't the #1 thing.  I am sure he's determined to get a fair offer so money is part of the equation.  However, I believe him when he alludes to being unsure about this organization and is more or less auditioning them.  

I gather if Dan goes full blown meltdown in the offseason, Kirk bolts for sure.

Staying on topic, RG3 weighing in on Kirk's future, the irony: :)

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/robert-griffin-iii-listed-best-places-kirk-cousins-end-and-he-left-redskins?utm_content=buffer79818&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

...And, surely enough, come Wednesday afternoon, the stars aligned and the question was asked on NFL Live: Where, in Griffin's opinion, was the best place for Cousins to land this offseason?

"I think it depends on what he's trying to do," Griffin began.

...Don't worry, he doesn't stop there. In fact, he saved the good stuff for the latter half of his answer.

"He's had it all on his shoulders in Washington, and we've seen the result," Cousins' draft classmate continued. "But if he's got a great defense like, say, Denver, say, Jacksonville, it makes it easier for him as a quarterback. Whereas in Cleveland, he's gonna have to go in and he's gonna have to do more of the workload."

So, the Browns, Broncos and Jaguars are among the teams Griffin considers options for Cousins. But, uh, what about the one he's on right now?

"I don't think it's Washington, just because of, you've seen what's been going on," he said. "Do they want him there? Does he want to be there?"

This isn't to say that the former rookie of the year doesn't bring up valid points; Cousins has had to play with below-average defenses for much of his career in D.C. and the franchise hasn't exactly shown a ton of admiration for him.

But nevertheless, it was interesting to see Griffin declare wish such confidence that his old backup needs to bolt from the Redskins and head elsewhere.

One of if not the most coherent and credible statements Griffin ever made.

16 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

One of if not the most coherent and credible statements Griffin ever made.

He lays on thick a key point that gets lost in the soup by some of the Kirk critics.   Kirk has the team on his back, its just about all him.  Life's much easier for a QB  when you have a defense that can actually hold down the opposition.    Kirk's never had that.  

It astounds me that some people get excited about life after Kirk.  Yeah what you get is the 32nd ranked defense in points allowed without a dude that will bail them out in games.   

What are the Redskins without Kirk and replaced with a JAG?  I think 2-14, 3-13, something like that.  If Dan/Bruce foul up negotiations again this offseason - do they deserve that kind of fate.  Yeah they do.  But as a fan, I can't stomach it so I am not rooting for it to happen.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He lays on thick a key point that gets lost in the soup by some of the Kirk critics.   Kirk has the team on his back, its just about all him.  Life's much easier for a QB  when you have a defense that can actually hold down the opposition.    Kirk's never had that.  

It astounds me that some people get excited about life after Kirk.  Yeah what you get is the 32nd ranked defense in points allowed without a dude that will bail them out in games.   

What are the Redskins without Kirk and replaced with a JAG?  I think 2-14, 3-13, something like that.  If Dan/Bruce foul up negotiations again this offseason - do they deserve that kind of fate.  Yeah they do.  But as a fan, I can't stomach it so I am not rooting for it to happen.

I don't think the NeverKirkers or He'sNotWorthTop5MoneyGuys know football. 

I am not excited about the possibility of losing Cousins either.  I think if they let Kirk move on Cousins will sign with a strong franchise and thrive and the Redskins will really tank.  I don't want them to tank and will be pleased if they succeed, I just expect the bottom to fail out if Kirk leaves.  

I don’t even understand how any fan could not want know Kirk back.   Imagine this if we had Keenum or Alex Smith this season we would be 2_11 right now and we would have been playoff eliminated in mid October.    Of course we all wish we were in meaningful December games right now but given how this year played out Kirk has only cemented himself not just as good but on verge of being elite

It’s so simple resign Kirk long term and we will be a perennial winner again.  Wouldn’t it be great to get back to glory days 

I like Kirk and voted for him signing a LTD with the Skins as if I was a betting man thats the way Id guess it plays out. 

But...

If you were Kirk what would you do?  Unlike some I don't think the Skins have treated him poorly.  They have paid him very handsomely.  But If I'm Kirk I honestly don't know if Id want to be a Redskin.  I think if he is smart (which appears to be the case) he would try to see what is available in FA.  Is there a team that has a quality FO and a team poised for good things?  Could be the Skins are his best option but there are certainly some other teams out there needing a QB that would also be willing to pay Kirk what the market says he is worth.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:47 PM, SkinsBoss said:

I don’t even understand how any fan could not want know Kirk back.   Imagine this if we had Keenum or Alex Smith this season we would be 2_11 right now and we would have been playoff eliminated in mid October.    Of course we all wish we were in meaningful December games right now but given how this year played out Kirk has only cemented himself not just as good but on verge of being elite

It’s so simple resign Kirk long term and we will be a perennial winner again.  Wouldn’t it be great to get back to glory days 

I think most Skins fan would like Kirk back.

I just think there's some concern giving him top 5 QB money.

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

We haven't had a QB this good since Joe Theisman in 1983. But some entitled fans seem to think this organization is capable of finding one that will be better. That is unbelievable to me.

Some were saying it was easy to find and start a QB now.  At the beginning of the season there was a lot of references to Mariota and Winston. They were picked 1 and 2 (where we will not be picking) and are both having worse years than Kirk Cousins.   Mariota's bad play has been excused by our own fans because the Titans have a winning record. I'm sure that would be fine in D.C right??  Then there was envy of us not having a QB like Wentz or Watson.  Yes, they are exciting but we know first hand that playing style leads to injuries.  Let's see how these young guys look next season when D coordinators focus on keeping them in the pocket knowing that both will be mentally concerned about their knees.  I wonder if the Bills,Jets,Cardinals or Browns think it is easy to draft a QB?

19 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I think most Skins fan would like Kirk back.

I just think there's some concern giving him top 5 QB money.

Those two variables are tied to the hip though.  It's not a pick one or the other deal.   It's like saying I want a pizza but am not willing to pay more than $5 for one.  If so realistically you don't really want the pizza because you know you aren't getting it at that price. 

Archived