Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank you Josh Doctson..Thank You!!

Taylorcooley1

Yeah you can never judge a 1st round wide receiver until year 3.  Literally the last rookie wide out to have a crazy stand out year was Randy Moss lol.  All the superstar receivers today were mediocre as rookies.  So I have ZERO problems with how Doctson is progressing, I dont know why some people in this thread are overly critical on basically a rookie, especially after such a great victory in Seattle

2 hours ago, UKskins said:

Brian Quick wants to fight you over this comment.

I mind just take @Skinsinparadise in that... :)

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

I was getting killed for pointing that out, KC underthrew to Doc again in a critical scenario. He has to lay that up and out there, let Doc go and get it. You would think he would understand that by now, and certainly did it with the diminutive D-Jax. 

That’s a tough throw under duress and you’re talking about a difference of maybe 5 feet.  In some funky weather, on the road.

Im no Kevin Shehan, but not every throw is perfect and that’s when your WRs have to make a play.

credit to Doctsy for getting it done.  

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

Grades Scaled for Victory, lmao....

Not every victory.  But here and there there are circumstances that dictate you just say “good job everybody” and move on.

playing without 4 of your starting OL (and best backup tackle), 2 most reliable targets, in Seattle, against a team that has ended the skins season multiple times in the playoffs recently, yeah, you get a win in those circumstances, and I don’t give a good God Damn how you do it, everybody gets a pass. :)

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That’s a tough throw under duress and you’re talking about a difference of maybe 5 feet.  In some funky weather, on the road.

Im no Kevin Shehan, but not every throw is perfect and that’s when your WRs have to make a play.

credit to Doctsy for getting it done.  

The issue is this, He has been doing it, It's not based on one throw, and just the hesitation to do it. Hope he develops and improves over the next few games, could be a special WR IMO. 

oh, He is in DC as the QB so scrutiny comes with the job, contract status only adds to that dilemma. 

Josh Doctson made play after play after play like this at TCU. It takes WRs time to adjust to the NFL, especially the route combinations and the speed of the game. He has a few drops but has also made some great plays. He made a great adjustment to the ball on the play yesterday.

Kirk did under throw it a little but that is where WRs earn the trust of their QB. They need to show them they will get the ones that aren't necessarily the most perfect throw. It's that chemistry and trust that the the QB trusts the WR not to give up on a ball that's not perfect. That he will go fight for it and make a play. And for the WR to know his QB trusts him and will give him a chance to win some contested balls. 

Considering the conditions and the pressure Kirk was getting, it was just a great play by them both. I hope it's just the start of a long and productive relationship.  

Great catch.  And I loved the play call. It is exactly what I had been clamoring for with our patchwork OL - 3 step deep loft fade.  Better late than never yesterday; maybe Jay was saving that up for when he needed it. Doctson is that go get the ball WR type, as he finds his niche in the league. That type of play call is perfect for him, and our OL.

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Great catch.  And I loved the play call. It is exactly what I had been clamoring for with our patchwork OL - 3 step deep loft fade.  Better late than never yesterday; maybe Jay was saving that up for when he needed it. Doctson is that go get the ball WR type, as he finds his niche in the league. That type of play call is perfect for him, and our OL.

I am pretty that play had been called more than once during the game. Just Kirk either didn't have the time or the confidence in that weather and quite frankly in Josh to let it go. I hope he got some more confidence in Josh and will give him more chances. In fairness, that was a really great Dline and with 4 oline starters out - and a few of the #2s - they did amazingly well. 

Doc Walker was calling them Hogs 3.0... LOL Cooley got a kick out of it but also agreed. Not at all saying they were as good but more making the point about so many injuries. 

2 hours ago, Ludomaniac said:

Yeah you can never judge a 1st round wide receiver until year 3.  Literally the last rookie wide out to have a crazy stand out year was Randy Moss lol.  All the superstar receivers today were mediocre as rookies.  So I have ZERO problems with how Doctson is progressing, I dont know why some people in this thread are overly critical on basically a rookie, especially after such a great victory in Seattle

ODB jr second best year was as a rookie and by some standards might have been his best. Boldin had a crazy good year as a rook.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I am pretty that play had been called more than once during the game. Just Kirk either didn't have the time or the confidence in that weather and quite frankly in Josh to let it go. I hope he got some more confidence in Josh and will give him more chances. In fairness, that was a really great Dline and with 4 oline starters out - and a few of the #2s - they did amazingly well. 

Doc Walker was calling them Hogs 3.0... LOL Cooley got a kick out of it but also agreed. Not at all saying they were as good but more making the point about so many injuries. 

Its one of my favorite plays. I am sure there were other times it was called and me not notice. I think Kirk took something off that throw to give Doc a chance. I like the deep under thrown ball tried on days when an offense is largely grounded.

I eventually get annoyed watching deep balls ONLY attempted on 7 step drops from the pocket. Sack after sack.... I love the deep fade - the QB rarely to never gets hit. The rollout, basic things tried to help out an over matched OL yet still ft. the deep ball and your big playmakers. 

Yeah the OL did great. We all knew there would be a blown assignment, like on the safety. Expectations should have been in check by all fans after perusing the injury report.

No one is talking about it but victory was not a given after the Doc catch. Our OL manned up and we pounded the rock down their throats for the winning score. It's not often we win games like that. You know the OL loved that play call.

19 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Just want to see Doc become a focal point of the offense. He needs to have a 8 or 9 catch game for over a hundred and a couple td's. We need to see that type of game soon and hopefully it's coming. 

I agree.  I think it's coming.  I think he's starting to earn some trust and confidence.  And, well, he's healthy.  So it might be a necessity anyway.

I said in a prior post in a thread somewhere that I would throw Doctson and Pryor 7 or 8 balls each in the first 15-20 plays, short stuff, just to get them involved early, since Crowder and Reed are both unavailable.  Say what you want about them as receivers, they are the most talented pass-catchers on the team.  When you're depleted, you need your talent to just go make a play.

I have a lot more faith in Doctson or Pryor catching a short ball, shaking a tackle, and rumbling for a large gain than Grant or Quick.  though I liked what I saw from Quick.  Both Doctson and Pryor are physically more talented.  

That can change as you get guys like Reed and Crowder back, and maybe some of the OL, where you might be able to run the ball a bit more.  But until then, I think the plan should be to feature the guys who have the skills to do something special on any given play.  

My $.02

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

If you wanna run the ball, try throwing some of those on first down early in the game, keep the hounds at bay. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Haven't you heard?  We run on 1st down.

Yeah, pretty much the two things that have me in the HOLD on Jay, running when obviously running, and clock mgt. I would love to see some of his playbook, because I know that running on first and then screen on second and long pages need to go missing. lol. 

I think the catch earlier in the game was even better to be honest. He WAS NOT the intended target and made a great play against Sherman. It has become clear that Josh at this point in his career isnt going to be a big "separation" type receiver. You are going to have to take chances to get him the ball. But it is also clear that he will go all out to cover his QB as well.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I think the catch earlier in the game was even better to be honest. He WAS NOT the intended target and made a great play against Sherman. It has become clear that Josh at this point in his career isnt going to be a big "separation" type receiver. You are going to have to take chances to get him the ball. But it is also clear that he will go all out to cover his QB as well.

Great point, if he had not gone for the ball that was thrown over Davis I think, it could have been INT maybe. Made a great grab 

Yeah, just throw it up and see what happens. Stop trying to be "By the book" or "By the numbers"

Eli Manning spent years throwing bull**** to Plaxico Burress, and that connection was wildly successful

Not sure i agree with this. He is just 8 games into his career. He may not just be blowing by people if that's what you mean. But there are very few WRs who get "big" separation on every play. That is a pretty good secondary. Football is a game of inches. Not sure what the expectation is here. 

Archived