Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank you Josh Doctson..Thank You!!

Taylorcooley1

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/34248/jay-gruden-says-big-games-are-coming-for-josh-doctson

...Part of Doctson’s early lack of productivity -- 11 catches, 189 yards and three three touchdowns -- stems from being more like a rookie. It’s hard to understate how much he lost by practicing only a couple weeks his first year because of injuries. The 2016 first-round pick was always considered a good route-runner, but he had to learn how to run routes the way Washington wanted so they synched up with the quarterback.

Teammates consistently say he makes “wow” plays in practice, and the confidence level in him keeps increasing.

Not one and done

...Not all issues stem from Doctson’s newness. There have been times in games where he’s broken free and either wasn’t part of the progression or not seen. Other times, Cousins appeared to work too quickly away from him or not give him a chance downfield.

Sometimes, Doctson has been unable to make a tough but makeable catch -- against Kansas City; a diving one vs. Dallas. Sometimes it’s not selling a fake well enough. But he does learn: Against Dallas, he showed patience off the line then widened the corner with a plant outside and cut back inside to catch a 1-yard scoring pass.

“He pays attention to detail. He has to experience it and see it himself so when he sees it, it becomes easier and easier,” Redskins receiver Brian Quick said.

Doctson displays a fire on the field, but can be a quiet guy in the locker room, engaging with teammates but not loud or boisterous. He declined to be interviewed for this article. Even Cousins admitted he was still getting to know Doctson, but called him a “good person; an intelligent person.”

“He isn’t as aloof as he comes across when you get to know him. He is a student of the game on the field. He wants to do it right. He is not a know-it-all,” Cousins said.

The quarterback delivered a message to him shortly after his diving catch.

Cousins said he told him: “‘Let’s make sure this isn’t a one-and-done thing. Let’s make sure this is a repeatable thing and something that people expect to have happen not just next week, not just this season, but hopefully for seasons to come.’ That’s where the vision needs to be and then we have got to work in a way where that can become a reality.”

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@goskins10 @bedlamVR

Guys, words on this internet thing sometimes get lost in Translation.. I’m probably one of his biggest fans here, I’m def not anti Doc. Huge fan and believer.

Just some of his quirks I’ve seen through the television, which admittedly means nada. Aloof in the cool and distant form not anything else. 

All this will be moot once Kirk begins to really trust him and give him the 8-10 targets  I’ve been calling for since about week 2. I’ve stated I felt he could contribute 60-75 catches and 900-1100 yds with 8+ TDs before the season, so I’m a believer in him. Don’t let my pseudo psycho evaluation from afar mislead you, love the kid... It was just a feeling I’ve had after seeing him in action. I believe in Josh and hope he gets there ASAP.

I didn't really take it as "anti-Josh". I assume you are a fan or you would not care.

I honestly just took issue with the whole "lolly-gag" thing and then especially mentioning him in your opinion "not knowing where is on the field and being awkward crossing the goal line" associating  that with the Seattle game. 

As for the "lolly-gag" and not knowing where he is, here are three quotes from what @Skinsinparadise posted that are also in the thread below (a really good read if you have not read it yet). 

"Doctson displays a fire on the field, but can be a quiet guy in the locker room, engaging with teammates but not loud or boisterous."

“He isn’t as aloof as he comes across when you get to know him. He is a student of the game on the field. He wants to do it right. He is not a know-it-all,” Cousins said.

“He pays attention to detail. He has to experience it and see it himself so when he sees it, it becomes easier and easier,” Redskins receiver Brian Quick said.

As for the catch in Seattle - he had just stretched his entire body out to catch a ball off the grass, cradled it, and rolled/bounded a good 5 yds. Of course he had no idea where he was. Most of us would be in traction after bouncing on the ground like that with or without a ball. I know I would. 

I think the expectations are unrealistic sometimes. Yes, he is still clearly for all intents and purposes a rookie - it also says that in the article. But he made an all world catch bouncing on the ground. I just find it hard to find any fault with him on that play. 

@goskins10 definitely agree with you on the Seattle play, it was more the first TD can’t remember against who, where he was still upright and running in. The Lilly gagging phrase implies laziness so  it’s the wrong description. But just getting set and know where you are going. 

I think Kirk has diplomatically implied what I was trying to say, And you are right that it’s just probably a function of not practicing and still getting his bearings on everything. 

On 8 November 2017 at 8:28 PM, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I just want to know that he’s present and on point. I get the sense he’s aloof or unaware. The bomb he caught at the beginning of the year he looked unaware where he was on the field and was awkward crossing the goal line

I get what you mean here. I thought that on the early season score.

Great great catch in Seattle though, and he looks fired up on the field now.

Promising signs.

Archived