Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happened to our Special Teams? - OP updated for end of regular season

TheItalianStallion

In 2016 our STs were #13 in the league, down from #6 in 2015.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst2016

As of week 7 (so the Dallas game isn't included yet, so the ranking will surely be subject to further downward revision) of this year we rank #23.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

In 2014 we were 20th, but during the GMSM years we were respectable to good. Now we're back to sucking. What gives?

11/1 update: no surprise here, our ranking went down. Now we're 25th.

11/21 update: ranking at 24th. No worse, but we're still bottom 10. Looks like this is who we are now, or who we're back to being.

12/21 update: thru week 15 we're 27th.

Final update: our ranking for the season is 22, so we did manage to claw out of the bottom 10. Hopefully next year we can get back to where we were during the GMSM years.

How about injuries? I'm not sure about it. But could it be possible that our depth guys are forced on the field on regular downs. Like the 5th corner and backup LB. So durning the week they need to focus more on playing there position instead of play special teams. They are also more tired when they come on the field when they play regular.

Guy like Thompson has less time to focus on special teams now he is used more. And a guy like Nicholson, who I think would be core special teamer, is now starting. 

Think Crowder was just not healthy early season. That had a big impact. He was special team ace. 

14 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

How about injuries? I'm not sure about it. But could it be possible that our depth guys are forced on the field on regular downs. Like the 5th corner and backup LB. So durning the week they need to focus more on playing there position instead of play special teams. They are also more tired when they come on the field when they play regular.

Guy like Thompson has less time to focus on special teams now he is used more. And a guy like Nicholson, who I think would be core special teamer, is now starting. 

Think Crowder was just not healthy early season. That had a big impact. He was special team ace. 

Its not just depth guys... we have starters in on ST all the time.  Norman played FG block vs Dallas, and Im pretty sure that's the norm.  I've seen Breeland on FG and Punt block too.  I have to imagine on FG we have at least a couple of our starting O-lineman anchoring the line and with so many along the line being hurt, were plugging in guys and the 'wall' of blockers to protect the kicker is diminished, could have had something to do with that block this past week. 

I'm sure all the injuries contribute, creating situations where the personnel is ever changing.

That still doesn't explain the fumbles and the decisions to take it out of the end zone and lose us roughly 7 yards a return, or Holsey being the first to touch the ball coming from out of bounds.  The fact is they've been dreadful at just about every part of special teams all season.

We have no gunner of Zoooote note...... We don't block kicks, and we get kicks blocked. It seems like we are more aggressive in trying to block kicks in the past year or so, though. It used to hurt to see Lavar and the other LBs standing watching game ending FGs, hands on their hips, presumed playing for fakes that never happen.  This has spanned decades.  It is a mistake to not try to block punts on days that our offense is atrocious, or field position is failing, and our returner is meh. I would like to see us try to hurdle the center on a FG try, when we have nothing to lose.

I heard that KCs ST coach has orchestrated 12 TDs for, zero against, in his time there. So it's likely not always personnel, unless KC targets special teams standouts on draft day, as a priority. 

I do think we need to give a 1 game pass to OL FG blocking woes in light of all our injuries.

I hate the new rules on onsides kicks. 

No idea why Corwder is muffing punts,, that is a concentration issue. Every bit of his game is off this year.

Kickoffs.. really, it's nearly impossible to measure them these days because hardly any kicks are ever returned.

the blocked FG,, bad snap, but Way did get it down. Rose missed.. bad weather, kicker signed off the street.. it's not entirely unexpected.

Other than punt coverage and returns, special teams are almost forgotten due to the kickoff rules removing about half their value.

What is the percentage of kickoffs actually returned as opposed to downed, or booted into the stands?

Our special teams are just kinda there. 

~Bang

I'd love to blame injuries, but we haven't had consistently good special teams for decades. Yet another once great Redskins tradition that's been left far behind. I remember when "Redskins" and "Special Teams" were practically synonymous. Started with George Allen, who practically invented special teams, and continued under Gibbs and the genius that was Wayne Sevier. 

KotWEAKa stinks. 

Well for one, our special teams coach is an idiot.  The way I define that is someone who choses to keep doing something over and over again even after seeing it fail miserably.  

Crowder has muffed 4 times on punts in the first 6 games.  He CONTINUES to send him out, and he dropped a 5th one.  Idiot. That also seems to stem to every other aspect.  "Why change whats failing" seems to be the attitude

18 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Well for one, our special teams coach is an idiot.  The way I define that is someone who choses to keep doing something over and over again even after seeing it fail miserably.  

Crowder has muffed 4 times on punts in the first 6 games.  He CONTINUES to send him out, and he dropped a 5th one.  Idiot. That also seems to stem to every other aspect.  "Why change whats failing" seems to be the attitude

Gruden has been asked about it. Basically he says the only other guy on the roster that has ever returned a punt is Fuller. I don't think they feel they really have anyone else to do it.

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

we haven't had consistently good special teams for decades.

That was true through 2014, but during the GMSM two years we jumped from 29th in 2014 all the way up to 6th in 2015, and were at 13th in 2016. Now we're back to the bottom 10. And I don't understand why. Have our STs personnel changed significantly since last year?

OP updated.

22 hours ago, kleese said:

Gruden has been asked about it. Basically he says the only other guy on the roster that has ever returned a punt is Fuller. I don't think they feel they really have anyone else to do it.

Yeah I took that comment as "we have no GM therefore: 

monkey.jpg

23 hours ago, kleese said:

Thats really poor planning.  What were they planning to do if he got injured?

Injuries have affected this area of the team pretty severely, too. That said, Kotwica SUCKS. I was unimpressed when they hired him and am even more unimpressed now. Our special teams are rarely a positive factor in any game, and guys don't even seem to know all the rules fully. His firing is LONG overdue, and I hope it comes at the end of this season. 

Archived