Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is There a 2017 Injury Update Thread? If Not, Voila! Now We Have One

kleese

27 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

It's frustrating to see Roullier sidelined. He may not be able to play C (his snapping hand is broken) but he should be able to play guard. Does anyone have more specifics on the situation and especially why he wouldn't play G?

well, ideally he'd be our starting center so they may just not want to put him in if he could further injure himself and delay him getting back at center

14 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

It's frustrating to see Roullier sidelined. He may not be able to play C (his snapping hand is broken) but he should be able to play guard. Does anyone have more specifics on the situation and especially why he wouldn't play G?

I thought the plan was to play Trent this week and slide Ty over to G?

I heard that somewhere, not sure if it will happen though. 

I'm a little worried when it comes to Allen's and Trent's injuries. Both have those type of injures that could linger over into next season, even when they say they're healthy to play. Worse thing would be to have them play through the pain or come back too soon then end up becoming sidelined for an extended period of time or have a career ending situation.

15 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

He is a rookie and it's not that easy to learn all the Oline positions. Also, as a rookie, not sure you want a guy that does not have full use of both hands while in the trenches. You don't need to grab but you need to push and have leverage. It may be "just a hand" but that is pretty critical when your entire job is to push other guys your size and bigger around. 

Better to have some patience, let him heal properly and get some mental reps and continue to learn. Ideally he will replace Long at C and they can move Long to G, his more natural position. Anything to help show Lauvao the door. 

4 minutes ago, RonBurgandy said:

I'm a little worried when it comes to Allen's and Trent's injuries. Both have those type of injures that could linger over into next season, even when they say they're healthy to play. Worse thing would be to have them play through the pain or come back too soon then end up becoming sidelined for an extended period of time or have a career ending situation.

I get the concern for Allen. Lis-franc can be career ending unfortunately. But he is young. I am hoping he comes back. 

What specifically is more troubling about Trent's injury, other than knee injuries suck? He should be able to get treatment and rest it and come back OK. Maybe a missed something. Is there a new report out or something with additional detail? 

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

He is a rookie and it's not that easy to learn all the Oline positions. Also, as a rookie, not sure you want a guy that does not have full use of both hands while in the trenches. You don't need to grab but you need to push and have leverage. It may be "just a hand" but that is pretty critical when your entire job is to push other guys your size and bigger around. 

Better to have some patience, let him heal properly and get some mental reps and continue to learn. Ideally he will replace Long at C and they can move Long to G, his more natural position. Anything to help show Lauvao the door. 

He is a C/G (he played both in college). Also, you can play OL with a broken hand as long as it's not the snapping hand for a center (I played C in college and have seen it done).

There is some missing piece of information here, since we have a Band Aid OL and we're bringing guys off the street to start games, yet we'd sit Roullier rather than put him into a slot he can play and has already played for us in games this year.

What gives?

2 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

He is a C/G (he played both in college). Also, you can play OL with a broken hand as long as it's not the snapping hand for a center (I played C in college and have seen it done).

There is some missing piece of information here, since we have a Band Aid OL and we're bringing guys off the street to start games, yet we'd sit Roullier rather than put him into a slot he can play and has already played for us in games this year.

What gives?

Of course you "can" play it with one hand but why? I think you are looking for some controversy or conspiracy where there is just plain common sense. The guy is a rookie. And playing C/G in the NFL is different than college. Much more to know and learn.

You have some who can play G, why push a rookie to play with a bum hand? Makes more sense to let him heal properly, especially long term. 

We played Dallas fairly close the first time and our lines are much better with Williams/Nsheke/Scherff/Ioaniddas back (and Bergstrom having more experience in our system).  On top of that, we have Everett and potentially Spaight and Nicholson back.  Perine also looks to have maybe found a groove.  

This game should look a lot different this go around.  

If I’m understanding PFF right, it’s not the Zeke injury holding their offense back but the offensive line injuries.  Apparently their talent falls off a cliff after the starting five.

If Collins or Tyron Smith is out, Kerrigan and Smith could have an All-Pro type of day

On 11/28/2017 at 8:58 AM, goskins10 said:

Of course you "can" play it with one hand but why?

So you don't go 5-7. So your QB isn't taking direct hits all game. So you have an opportunity to move the ball on the ground. 

I'm sure Roullier was pissed that he couldn't play.

I'm not putting the OL shortcomings on Bergstrom - I actually thought he wasn't too bad. But whenever I see Kouandjio enter the lineup I'm dreading the worst. At least Cousins is still healthy.

14 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

So you don't go 5-7. So your QB isn't taking direct hits all game. So you have an opportunity to move the ball on the ground. 

I'm not putting the OL shortcomings on Bergstrom - I actually thought he wasn't too bad. But whenever I see Kouandjio enter the lineup I'm dreading the worst. At least Cousins is still healthy.

There is zero reason to have played Chase. I stand by the unequivocally. It's just not smart to play a guy on one hand when you have other bodies. Small chance of a short term, with a very high risk of long term loss. Not a smart team decision.   

Injury-wise, I’m bummed that Roullier, Nicholson, Spaight and Allen are all missing valuable experience.  The first three could all be future starters for us (Allen already is of course), but we (and the FO) will enter the offseason uncertain about their prospects.  

The line injuries (Allen/Ioannidas and the entire oline) have been especially painful.  They can (mostly) hold their own against poor lines, but are getting abused by decent lines.  Hope the FO is able (and makes a point) to find some good competition/depth early in the draft.  

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

There is zero reason to have played Chase. I stand by the unequivocally. It's just not smart to play a guy on one hand when you have other bodies. Small chance of a short term, with a very high risk of long term loss. Not a smart team decision.   

On what do you base the very high risk? Let's walk through it shall we?

When assessing risk you start with the hazard (trust me, I get paid to perform risk assessments). What are the hazards here? Here are my takes:

The two biggest hazards as far as I can tell are <insert event> causing further damage, and <insert event> delaying healing

Now let's look at the risk, starting with severity. Let's use a 1-5 scale where 1 is no harm incurred, 2 is injury possibly requiring medical attention, 3 is injury requiring medical attention but not surgery, 4 is injury requiring surgery and 5 is career-ending injury

So, we ask, which best describes the outcome if he takes a direct hit to the hand? I would say 4 if there is nothing to protect the hand. You could go overboard and say 5 because someone could step on his hand, but that is an independent risk that exists regardless of the current state of his hand, i.e. it could be that severe even with a completely healthy hand. 

Let's move on to occurrence. How likely is this to occur? Again, let's use a 1-5 scale where 1 is incredible (1 in a million), 2 is improbable (unlikely in normal circumstances, 1 in 100K), 3 is occasional (it happens, 1 in 1000), 4 is probable (happens about 1 in 100 times) and 5 is frequent (1 in 10). Given that we have two guys on the team with broken hands, I'm going to say it is occasional (3). I would argue against frequent or probable - you are much more likely to see players out with a hamstring or knee problem than with a broken hand. Let's go with 3.

So, severity of 4 and occurrence of 3 = risk score 12, which is high in my system (1-4 low, 5-10 medium, 12-25 high). This means you need to mitigate the risk in order to proceed.

Based on my limited internet search abilities and with the caveat that I have no orthopedic training I did find several pages where orthopedic surgeons stated that with an appropriate padded cast, a player could expect to return to football within 1-2 weeks, with no risk of re-injury. Yep. No risk. Additionally, the return time was said to be even shorter for those having had surgery as opposed to healing with a cast only. Roullier had surgery.

So, with mitigation of using an appropriate padded cast on the affected hand, there is now no residual risk at all.  At this point, the risk assessment is over since there is no risk. This is why I think there must be another reason he was out.

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, just that the injury doesn't seem to me to be enough cause for concern to hold him out, especially when you've got guys so much less talented protecting Cousins.

1 hour ago, MassSkinsFan said:

On what do you base the very high risk? Let's walk through it shall we?

When assessing risk you start with the hazard (trust me, I get paid to perform risk assessments). What are the hazards here? Here are my takes:

The two biggest hazards as far as I can tell are <insert event> causing further damage, and <insert event> delaying healing

Edit

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, just that the injury doesn't seem to me to be enough cause for concern to hold him out, especially when you've got guys so much less talented protecting Cousins.

While I admire your interest in this - but really? About a guy with bum hand being sat down? I really do not mean this to be rude, but I lost interest after "Let's walk through it...." Sorry, just not that important to me. 

Headed to the golf course. Have a great weekend. At least the team can't lose again this Sunday - better take that back with this group. 

8 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

I'm not sure a one handed rookie playing his secondary position would have been much better thant Ty and Arie at LG

Shouldn't we see a couple OL IR's additions today? Or are they just waiting so not to show their hand?

I may be in the minority, but I see no real reason to play these guys anymore until they're healed up. Screw long developing plays and the W/L record.. Season over, get well, keep Kirk healthy (with safe play calls) and hope for a better draft pick.

Archived