Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

5 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'm for universal background checks and other measures as well.  Both sides fail us because they refuse to address common sense gun control.  Because it does not benefit their voter demographic.  

You can keep on supporting the left if you want.  I refuse to support either the left or right.  Both parties sicken me, tbh.  

This is beyond unreasonable and low information.

I am not talking about any one specific policy issue. Universal background checks is just the latest example that a bill is sitting in Congress and one side is actively killing any floor debate over how to do it. I am talking about the fact that the GOP doesn’t even allow debate to happen! There can be no debate if one chamber of Congress doesn’t propose or take up the others legislation. 

I don’t think you understand how Congress works. You may not like hearing this, but people like you are part of the problem.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 9

On what planet is Gary Johnson the sensible moderate on any issue?

Gary Johnson is in lock step position with Republicans on gun control.

https://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Gary_Johnson_Gun_Control.htm

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2019/08/02/fast-and-furious-formula-orig.cnn-business/video/playlists/stories-worth-watching/

(People would be safer it was easier to carry a gun in public.)

Edited by PeterMP

7 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

No on the mass shootings being an issue before Trump/2016 or no that both sides are failing us?

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/

No to both sides. GOP has done everything it can to make sure that nothing passes on gun control. If you cannot see that then it's useless debating with you.

35 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

On what planet is Gary Johnson the sensible moderate on any issue?

Gary Johnson is in lock step position with Republicans on gun control.

https://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Gary_Johnson_Gun_Control.htm

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2019/08/02/fast-and-furious-formula-orig.cnn-business/video/playlists/stories-worth-watching/

(People would be safer it was easier to carry a gun in public.)

Yeah, I'm at the point where I'm going to carry mine all the time now.

2 minutes ago, Skintime said:

No to both sides. GOP has done everything it can to make sure that nothing passes on gun control. If you cannot see that then it's useless debating with you.

Part of the problem is how powerful the NRA is. 

RIP to the innocent. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

You know how the A-okay sign has been subverted to be a racist symbol? Part of me wonders what the modern translation of "thoughts and prayers" really is?

The modern translation is just hollow because there is no action taking place to make any actual change.  Rinse/repeat until the next tragedy.  SMH. 

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

The modern translation is just hollow because there is no action taking place to make any actual change.  Rinse/repeat until the next tragedy.  SMH. 

Personally, I think when McConnell, Gaetz, or Trump say or tweet the words "thoughts and prayers" I think they are really saying, "**** you! We're ain't going to do **** and there's nothing you can do about it." to the survivors and grievers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Burgold said:

Personally, I think when McConnell, Gaetz, or Trump say or tweet the words "thoughts and prayers" I think they are really saying, "**** you! We're ain't going to do **** and there's nothing you can do about it." to the survivors and grievers.

No no, "it's too soon to talk about the politics of this tragedy. Shame on you for seeking to leverage this totally predictable and tacitly accepted event to advance your agenda."

That's the new "thoughts & prayers".

It's like, dude were in a ****ing war and whenever someone asks how do we stop the war they get outraged saying, "How dare you?! Someone just died! Have you no shame?!" 

Dude it's a ****ing war, it's time to see the forest for the trees!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Burgold said:

45 was tweeting out thoughts in prayers to El Paso, and 15 minutes later, he's tweeting out congratulations to that MMA clown who won yesterday. 

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This kind of "enlightened centrist" rubbish doesn't make you look like you're better than everyone else.  It just makes you look like you've got your head up your ass.

I never said I was enlightened or think I'm better than anybody.  So I can't believe that both the dems and republican parties suck as far as the presidential candidates are concerned?  I thought they sucked in 2016 race and think it's even worse now, how does that make me an entitled centrist? 

Can't sites like 4chan and 8chan be labeled terrorist sites and be shut down?  If these white supremacists are being radicalized by going to these sites, that's proof enough.  

Honestly, the FBI needs to do a much better job of identifying these people before they start shooting.  Aren't they monitoring these websites?  When did the El Paso shooter publish his manifesto?  The FBI seems to be busy fighting Antifa (who I think have a murder count of 0) rather than tackle the real threat.  How diverse is the FBI?

• Like 3

At this point, the Senate actually taking up legislation to debate in the committees and have simple yes/no votes would be a huge improvement. That's how utterly pathetic the GOP's obstruction on this issue is. Taking a vote on this means that some of their elected representatives actually have to defend their record. And they won't do this, because they know a good portion of the country will say "both sides suck" if they just squash debate and votes long enough.

Even these bills failing in congress after votes would be a massive improvement over the current do-nothing approach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonArtest15 said:

Got people in power pushing the MS-13, ISIS, etc. narratives, when the bigger issue is the domestic terror cells (white nationalism) we have right here in our own country. 

Focusing on domestic terror cells will mean that we actually have to address the underlying cause of their growth, which is the political agenda of a mainstream party and the role that its propaganda outlets play in spreading hate and fear.

The shooters manifesto, which everyone should read, could have been the opening monologue of Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham's nightly show on Fox.

• Like 3

I think that it is obvious that Americans are, in general, are wildly irresponsible with weapons.  Tens of thousands of dead every year, and yet somehow this can't even be addressed by our representatives?  

I don't think any legitimate improvement in these death rates will improve until the GOP acknowledges that it is an actual problem.  This will not come from the politicians (they've had their chances).  It will have to come from their base.  I think it will take a culture change among gun owners in the US to admit that because so, so many are reckless, violent, irresponsible, and deadly with their guns, "responsible gun owners" will have to make sacrifices to decrease access to weapons for people who would kill.   

There are myriad reasons we have orders of magnitude more gun deaths than any comparable country.   I can't imagine that this is acceptable to us, but it apparently is, as even minor inconveniences to gun ownership seems to be a non-starter.  Pathetic.