Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

There's a lot about that that bothers me.  First, of course, is shooting in a church.  Second, shot by armed security.  Not so much that the shooter was shot, but that they felt they needed armed security at a church (although apparently they were right, which is appalling to me).  Third is the name of the stupid town.  White Settlement.  I understand the name was originally given by native Americans, but that doesn't make the name any better.  They should consider changing it, unless they plan on making it a gated KKK community.

11 hours ago, Larry said:

Where else would they worship their guns?

1. The fact that people think needing to bring a gun to church is normai is pretty sad.

2. Great! Now every moron is going to point to this as proof that the "good guy with a gun" theory works (it rarely ever does).

3. Yeah, a bunch of other people swarmed with gun...after it was over. They didn't actually help, not saying they wouldn't, but we'll never know. It reminds me of all the people who claim they would be Rambo in this kind of situation.

31 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

1. The fact that people think needing to bring a gun to church is normai is pretty sad.

it’s actually not as uncommon as you might think. I’ve attended various churches in NoVA since the early 90s, and pretty much all of them have parishioners who conceal carry as voluntary security during services. Usually they are members of the church who happen to also be members of the military, FBI, or local law enforcement. 

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

3. Yeah, a bunch of other people swarmed with gun...after it was over. They didn't actually help, not saying they wouldn't, but we'll never know. It reminds me of all the people who claim they would be Rambo in this kind of situation.

That was over in about six seconds, hard to respond much faster in that setting.

5 hours ago, RansomthePasserby said:

it’s actually not as uncommon as you might think. I’ve attended various churches in NoVA since the early 90s, and pretty much all of them have parishioners who conceal carry as voluntary security during services. Usually they are members of the church who happen to also be members of the military, FBI, or local law enforcement. 

I suffered through many years of church, guns never came up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

The guy that took that shot is Jack Wilson, a 71-year old reserve sheriff's deputy who is also a firearms instructor.

https://apnews.com/de8a2aebc6d95b9131a08975a5d881f9

good to see age ain't slowed him down.

In my church security days I worked with a state trooper, local police and a instructor......shame the other wasn't quite as proficient.

I'm glad he put himself on the line .

7 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So you're saying that societal norms can vary across not only the country but even states and smaller localities?

I'm shocked!  Shocked, I say!!

I just find it weird that guns in church are a thing, bringing a gun to church never crossed anyone's mind while I was ever there. It could be because of the time period and the fact that it was a black church. I just don't understand it...

4 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I just find it weird that guns in church are a thing, bringing a gun to church never crossed anyone's mind while I was ever there. It could be because of the time period and the fact that it was a black church. I just don't understand it...

Gotcha, yeah, I guess we had different church cultures. I grew up in predominantly white conservative churches. If you weren’t in the military or law enforcement, you probably hunted on the weekends, and went to ranges (or had them in your backyard if you’re driving up from Culpepper or Stafford). The type of guns you own and like was just another topic of conversation.

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 9:54 PM, China said:

Third is the name of the stupid town.  White Settlement.  I understand the name was originally given by native Americans, but that doesn't make the name any better.  They should consider changing it, unless they plan on making it a gated KKK community.