Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

Gunman identified in Walmart distribution center shooting that killed 2, injured 6 in California

Two people were fatally shot and six others were wounded Saturday at a Walmart distribution center in Red Bluff, California, a hospital official said.

Update 9:37 p.m. EDT June 28: The deceased gunman in Saturday’s shooting has been identified by authorities as Louis Lane, a former employee of the Walmart distribution center in Red Bluff, California.

Lt. Yvette Borden, a spokeswoman for the Tehama County Sheriff’s Office, said Lane, 31, worked at the distribution center in February 2019 but was let go for failing to show up for his shift, The New York Times reported.

Borden said Walmart employees told investigators they saw Lane drive around the center’s parking lot four times before crashing into the building and opening fire. He was shot and killed by a responding officer several minutes later in what Borden called “quite a bit of gunfire,” the Times reported.

Click on the link for the full article

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, China said:

Amazing how a mass shooting like this has garnered so little reaction that nobody has commented and this thread was about to fall off the first page.  What a depressing world we live in.

Stayed away from all news today. Holy ****.  

43 minutes ago, China said:

Amazing how a mass shooting like this has garnered so little reaction that nobody has commented and this thread was about to fall off the first page.  What a depressing world we live in.

This is not the sort of mass shooting that gets national attention.  This was a dispute between multiple individuals that all produced weapons and exchanged gunfire.  It reads like a gang shooting.  If these sorts of incidents all made national news we’d be talking about a one bad urban neighborhood or another pretty much every day. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Destino said:

This is not the sort of mass shooting that gets national attention.  This was a dispute between multiple individuals that all produced weapons and exchanged gunfire.  It reads like a gang shooting.  If these sorts of incidents all made national news we’d be talking about a one bad urban neighborhood or another pretty much every day. 

I'm assuming that's what this was. I don't  see anything anywhere,  nationally.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Please, start posting shootings each day where 21 people get shot.  If that's happening every day, maybe gun control should be a more serious issue.  I don't think it's as commonplace as you're saying though.  And if it is, I think it should be national news, because that's a serious problem.

Edited by China
2 hours ago, China said:

Please, start posting shootings each day where 21 people get shot.  If that's happening every day, maybe gun control should be a more serious issue.  I don't think it's as commonplace as you're saying though.  And if it is, I think it should be national news, because that's a serious problem.

Are you enamored with that 21 number or would you settle for people firing into crowds with only one death, but multiple people shot, because I hate to tell you but that’s really not uncommon.  Also the article mentions a shoot out, so this isn’t a madman trying to murder a crowd of people.  It looks like it was criminals having a shoot out in an unfortunate setting.  This again is something that happens, with unfortunate regularity.  

1 hour ago, China said:

It is, you’re right.  CNN covered it.  Not exactly the lead story tonight though is it?  If this had been a mass shooting that fit the narrative, it would be.  If someone had geared up and set out to murder as many people at that party as possible it would be unavoidable.  If new details emerge, it still might be.

Im not saying this shouldn’t be a big deal.  It should, this sort of thing shouldn’t be normal.  All I’m saying is that this isn’t the sort of story that tends to draw the media circus.

edit:  Am I crazy for thinking this would have generated more buzz if the police announced that had shut down a huge block party, given the corona situation?  These are crazy times, I think it’s possible.  

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Destino said:

Are you enamored with that 21 number or would you settle for people firing into crowds with only one death, but multiple people shot, because I hate to tell you but that’s really not uncommon.  Also the article mentions a shoot out, so this isn’t a madman trying to murder a crowd of people.  It looks like it was criminals having a shoot out in an unfortunate setting.  This again is something that happens, with unfortunate regularity.  

It is, you’re right.  CNN covered it.  Not exactly the lead story tonight though is it?  If this had been a mass shooting that fit the narrative, it would be.  If someone had geared up and set out to murder as many people at that party as possible it would be unavoidable.  If new details emerge, it still might be.

Im not saying this shouldn’t be a big deal.  It should, this sort of thing shouldn’t be normal.  All I’m saying is that this isn’t the sort of story that tends to draw the media circus.

edit:  Am I crazy for thinking this would have generated more buzz if the police announced that had shut down a huge block party, given the corona situation?  These are crazy times, I think it’s possible.  

It should be a bigger deal, yes.  But maybe because it's black people shooting and killing each other the media doesn't care as much and the rest of society including the people on this board, don't either.

Edited by China
4 hours ago, China said:

It should be a bigger deal, yes.  But maybe because it's black people shooting and killing each other the media doesn't care as much and the rest of society including the people on this board, don't either.

Dude, that's the point he and I basically made from the beginning. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Active shooter reported at Mayfair Mall, at least 8 injured and taken to hospital

Multiple people were shot at Mayfair mall in Wauwatosa on Friday afternoon.

In a statement released to ABC News, Wauwatosa Mayor Dennis McBride confirmed an active shooter situation with a suspect who remained “at large.” None of the victims’ injuries appeared to be life-threatening, he said.

Witnesses inside the mall reported hearing multiple gunshots before being asked to shelter in place.

A police officer at the front entrance of Froedtert Hospital said eight patients from Mayfair have been transported there.

It is not clear how many people have been shot.

The shooting occurred about 3 p.m, according to emergency radio traffic.

As of 4 p.m. law enforcement officers from several agencies were still streaming into the mall, including officers wearing tactical gear and holding shields, according to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporters at the scene.

At least 40 law enforcement vehicles were in the parking lot.

On Twitter several people reported hearing gunshots and stores responding to an active shooter situation. Some people remain inside the building, locked down. Others ran out of the mall.

15-year-old boy arrested in connection with Mayfair Mall mass shooting

WAUWATOSA, Wis. — Wauwatosa police say a 15-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with a mass shooting at Mayfair Mall. The shooting happened just before 3 p.m. Friday.

Chief Barry Weber held a press conference Sunday afternoon to announce the arrest.

Investigators said seven adults and one teen were injured.  They were taken to hospitals for treatment and were expected to survive. It was not clear how severe their injuries were. Investigators said most had been released from the hospital. 

The press conference was called after WISN 12 News asked if a suspect had been arrested.  Police initially said they were searching for a white man in his 20s or 30s.  Weber said that information was determined not to be correct.

The suspect's name has not been released because of his age. Weber said the Milwaukee boy was arrested in a car Saturday night. He also said the gun was recovered and there was no additional threat to the public.

Weber added that he believed the shooting stemmed from an altercation between two groups. He said the suspect was able to escape the mall as officers responded to help the victims.

It took officers six hours to clear the mall, Weber said. 

Investigators have not said how the teen got the gun.