Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

I can’t think of a more perfect opportunity to charge parents for the first time. I can’t imagine any reasonable person has a problem with the fact that they largely contributed to the situation.  

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lessons From a Mass Shooter’s Mother

A decade after her son committed a massacre, Chin Rodger is on a quest to help prevent the next tragedy.

The Pacific stretched along the coastal 101 in brilliant blue, the bright May sky beginning to soften toward sunset. Chin Rodger felt a lift of optimism as she exited the freeway and arrived at a sushi restaurant tucked away in the tony town of Montecito, where she greeted her 22-year-old son, Elliot. He looked well. He wore a designer shirt and Armani sunglasses, his dark hair styled, a smile on his boyish face. He was happy to see her and his younger sister, Georgia, a high school senior who often joined their mom for the drive up from Los Angeles.

This was a favorite dinner spot for their monthly get-together since Elliot began attending Santa Barbara City College more than two years earlier. They ordered their usual plates to share and chatted about nothing in particular. Seated across from Chin, Elliot began glancing over her shoulder.

“Look at that couple,” he said, eyeing a young man and woman at another table. He muttered that the guy looked unworthy of his attractive blonde date. Chin was used to his awkward social insecurity, part of his longtime emotional struggles, and she steered him back to positive conversation. She was pleased when the always skinny Elliot ordered an additional roll and began polishing it off.

“Wow, you’re eating a lot,” Georgia said.

He shrugged. “So what?”

Elliot liked this place because it felt far removed from where he lived in nearby Isla Vista, a small bluff-top town hugging University of California, Santa Barbara, whose party scene once attracted Elliot but had become alienating for him. Chin watched him enjoying the meal. It had been about three weeks since he had dropped out of communication for a few days and she found a video he’d posted online about his frustrations over girls. Worried, she’d called a social worker Elliot met with when visiting home, who said they should dial a crisis hotline in Santa Barbara. When police went to Elliot’s apartment for a welfare check, they concluded that all seemed fine with him, and his texts and calls with Chin since then had been encouraging. He’d told her his spring classes were finishing well and talked of promptly paying off a parking ticket, which struck her as part of his emerging self-improvement.

Chin cut the visit a little short because Georgia had plans with friends later that night. Their usual stroll for coffee and dessert would have to wait for next time. They hugged Elliot goodbye in the mild evening air, then got on the road back to LA.

Chin left heartened by her son’s relaxed demeanor and newfound appetite. It would be years before she would begin to learn what those really were: the last in an accumulating trail of warning signs.

Click on the link for the full story

On 2/13/2023 at 9:47 PM, PCS said:

On 2/13/2023 at 10:08 PM, China said:

Fantastic.  My alma mater is now part of the sad fraternity of schools with mass shootings.

$100 billion ransom threat is not credible, MSUPD says

Michigan State University's Department of Police and Public Safety has confirmed that a "vague and nonspecific threat" sent across Michigan yesterday night, May 22, is not credible.

The threat, which was first reported by the Lansing State Journal, threatened "mass casualties" unless a $100 billion ransom is paid today, May 23, by MSU, Ford Motor Company and the University of Michigan. It made a reference to the Feb. 13, 2023 campus shooting at MSU that killed three students and wounded five, but listed the date wrong.

"You will pay the sum of $100 Billion Dollars by 5/23/2024 in ransom, or face another hired assassin for exponential losses and mass casualties that pales in comparison to February 14, 2023," the email said, according to the Lansing State Journal. 

MSUPD immediately opened a criminal investigation into the threat and detectives are following up on possible leads, spokesperson Dana Whyte said.

"We have identified a probable suspect and have confirmed the threat is not credible and originated from out-of-state," Whyte told The State News in a text message. "There is no credible threat to our community. The safety and security of our campus is our top priority."

Click on the link for the full article

I imagine there’s cross marketing meta was doing and that’s why they’re part of it

kids play COD and talk about it on facebook

facebook shows them ads for guns, gun training, etc 

makes sense. No idea if they have a good case or not 🤷‍♂️ 

On 5/18/2024 at 11:15 AM, China said:

Lessons From a Mass Shooter’s Mother

A decade after her son committed a massacre, Chin Rodger is on a quest to help prevent the next tragedy.

This article hits hard.  I didn't realize this is the anniversary of the shooting.  

More training conferences are ahead on her calendar, and she says the reception for her talks has begun to help make certain things feel more possible, if not necessarily easier. “In the past, if I met someone new and they asked me if I have any kids, I would say, ‘Yes, I have a daughter.’ Then I would quickly start talking all about Georgia, what she was doing, her interests and her travel—that was my safe place.” But now, when a new acquaintance asks her about family, she finds herself answering differently.

“I also have a son,” she says. “I lost him in a tragedy.”

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tshile said:

I imagine there’s cross marketing meta was doing and that’s why they’re part of it

kids play COD and talk about it on facebook

facebook shows them ads for guns, gun training, etc 

makes sense. No idea if they have a good case or not 🤷‍♂️ 

If guns don't kill people then I would imagine games can't kill people either. 

There are internal documents from gun manufacturers (discovered after legal action by Sandy Hook parents) that discuss product placement in video games such as CoD to specifically target minors and make products such as the AR-16 more desirable to this group of future customers.

It certainly seems immoral to me, but is it illegal, and enough for the gun manufacturers would be found liable by a jury?

14 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

There are internal documents from gun manufacturers (discovered after legal action by Sandy Hook parents) that discuss product placement in video games such as CoD to specifically target minors and make products such as the AR-16 more desirable to this group of future customers.

It certainly seems immoral to me, but is it illegal, and enough for the gun manufacturers would be found liable by a jury?

This isn't GoldenEye...normalizing legit military tactics as far as they have in games targeted at kids has gone too far.

I basically stopped playing shooter games when I realized it, watching the evolution over the last 20 years it's impossible not to notice the difference between when we playing defense against "blaming video games".

On 5/24/2024 at 9:12 PM, zCommander said:

If guns don't kill people then I would imagine games can't kill people either. 

I think we should see what the supposed evidence is. 

it could be a bunch of nothing with someone making up connections that don’t exist. 

or there could be a some pretty damming communications about aggressively marketing certain things and how to a certain audience, which backs up their initially vague but very serious claims. 

id be not surprised at all if it turns out there’s something there. And we may never know as PB said they may just not even want to go through discovery. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...