Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

He lived with his grandma because of arguments he had with his Mom over internet usage (?), from what I read yesterday. No clue about his Father at all.

His mom is also apparently an addict as well, so I'm assuming that didn't help.

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Response to Ted Cruz's notion to arm school employees

Regular police aren't trained for this sort of stuff anyway, unless they've previously been in the military. Police training takes something like 4 months or so. You aren't going to condition yourself to deal with the physiological and psychological stressors of a live fire combat situation in 4 months. That's one of the reasons special ops guys train pretty much nonstop through their whole careers.

The idea of teachers or whoever being able to deal with it is beyond ludicrous.

• Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The general idea of any non specially trained person being able to handle this situation is stupid. This is where the good guy with a gun idea falls flat, people have to be trained to deal with high stress environments, they have to be put through them on a daily basis until it becomes muscle memory and an innate reaction. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, GoCommiesGo said:

The general idea of any non specially trained person being able to handle this situation is stupid. This is where the good guy with a gun idea falls flat, people have to be trained to deal with high stress environments, they have to be put through them on a daily basis until it becomes muscle memory and an innate reaction. 

Absolutely.

Do you guys remember your grade school and highschool teachers?

I do. Some of them would've been too weak or blind to even fire a weapon.

My English teacher in highschool literally had vietnam flashbacks during class and would have to excuse himself. 

Another teacher I had was so blind she would put lipstick all over her face, but never quite on her lips.

Expecting them to be commandos is ****ing stupid. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Regular police aren't trained for this sort of stuff anyway, unless they've previously been in the military. Police training takes something like 4 months or so. You aren't going to condition yourself to deal with the physiological and psychological stressors of a live fire combat situation in 4 months. That's one of the reasons special ops guys train pretty much nonstop through their whole careers.

Seventy three percent of police officers have NEVER fired their gun while on duty.  Yet if you watch a steady diet of cop shows, you might think it's a regular occurrence.  

...One more example of the normalization of gun use contributing to the sick gun culture in this society.

Police officers who have fired a gun on duty: A closer look | Pew Research Center

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arming teachers will not stop anything. 

But it will provide a good scapegoat.
"Well, the children would not have been murdered if Mrs Fuddyduddy would have taken the suspect out like she was supposed to."

~Bang

• Like 5

You start giving teachers guns and somewhere a kid is going to overpower the teacher and take that gun. 

My wife is a teacher, she's 5'8" played college sports and still works out. She would get taken out by a lot of the middle school kids she teaches. This idea of arming teachers is so stupid on so many levels...I can't even. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

A troublesome aspect that keeps emerging is the apparent cowardice and incompetence of law enforcement on the scene as the case in the Parkland shooting. Thank goodness a specially trained Border Patrol Agent had the balls to do something. 

Law enforcement training is wild across the country. Their is no national standard, each state has it's own standards. Some have super low entry levels and some have higher requirements. But at the end of the day the average training time for a police officer is 21 weeks in the US. (Source) 

Police training hours

They are not trained to handle these situations, they are not equipped to handle them. Realistically not a lot of people in the country are trained to handle this type of situation, the issue is we have made it easier for average people to equip themselves with weapons that make them a greater threat to police then the police to them. 

It's a structurally issue from access of weapons to low entry standards and subpar training. It's all just a massive cluster ****. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Local cops scared to rush into an area where someone is armed with military grade weaponry?!?

That is shocking.  I am shocked.

Officer Friendly is Rambo when it's an unarmed person but becomes a gutless wonder when the assailant is armed and s/he doesn't have the overwhelming advantage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So in lieu of regular beat officers, a SPECIALLY TRAINED unit was able to take the kid out. If you're suggesting the best solution is to send teachers to a gun range to take a couple of classes and put them in a real life situation with an active shooter, you're absolutely depraved. 

• Thumb up 4

2 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

I'm sure that my wife is up for hours and hours of gun and combat training in between her writing of IEP's from the time she gets home until the time she goes to bed, and buying her own school supplies. 

One more time for those in the back. SWAT officers receive combat training. LAPD SWAT (for examples) sends their officers to train at a USMC base. 

5 hours ago, purbeast said:

And quite frankly, I don't blame them.  

I feel like I'm jus piling on asking what people expect teachers to do when even cops are scared.  

I don't expect cops to walk around with more then a handgun, to be fair, anyone comes with more and they are outgunned, too.  In all honesty, leaving a single SRO as the soul line of defense and layer of security for something like this isn't fair to that SRO, and anyone suggesting this as a plan is essentially sacrificing cops in the name of gun rights, same as teachers, children, the rest of us.

But once the backup is there, I expect different weapons in the cops squad car and not wait 40 minutes while the shooting situation is still active.

If they aren't prepared for how to quickly respond to these issues, they need to say that and people need to stop asking anyone to be more ready to respond to these active shooter situations then them.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Sisko said:

Officer Friendly is Rambo when it's an unarmed person but becomes a gutless wonder when the assailant is armed and s/he doesn't have the overwhelming advantage.

I'm not sure the country is ready for pointing this out with being looked at like "defend the police", but this is happening repeatedly and so f'n true.

We throw the hero label too much to the point of it being diluted, this being an example. 

I don't like that everyone in the military is automatically a hero despite it being common knowledge some of them are raping their fellow female service members.  It's a waste of time to call essential workers heros when the second they ask for anything they are back to being unskilled labor 😒

Edited by Renegade7

48 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

They are not trained to handle these situations, they are not equipped to handle them. Realistically not a lot of people in the country are trained to handle this type of situation, the issue is we have made it easier for average people to equip themselves with weapons that make them a greater threat to police then the police to them. 

It's a structurally issue from access of weapons to low entry standards and subpar training. It's all just a massive cluster ****. 

When there's defenseless kids being slaughtered all that crap should go out the window. I'm not saying you're wrong. Training is inadequate across the board, but again, these are kids we're talking about. More could have and should have been done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

When there's defenseless kids being slaughtered all that crap should go out the window. I'm not saying you're wrong. Training is inadequate across the board, but again, these are kids we're talking about. More could have and should have been done.

I completely agree with you, standing around for 40 minutes is completely unacceptable. At some point you have to try and honestly they should have tried immediately. It was a massive failure by law enforcement across the board.  

I was just responding to the lack of national standards and how IMO inadequately trained the US law enforcement profession is. As well as the entire series of events is, at its heart, being a structural issue across many segments. 

Hell it takes more training to be a massage therapist than a cop, on average. (Source)

To find your state's requirements, go to the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) website. Typically, these professionals must complete between 500 and 1,000 hours of training from a board-approved massage school

Edited by GoCommiesGo
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think the solution is obvious. All teachers must go through a full BUD/S training before being allowed in the classroom.

I'm thinking something more in the line of Jason Bourne training where they erase their memory and the final test is shooting someone in the head. Good guys with guns!