Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

7 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Did you just adopt?

I had this issue with my pup as well. He ripped the carpet from the seam, and destroyed the padding underneath while attempting to dig himself out of the room ...

You should identify if your dog has separation or isolation anxiety. It turned out that my dog is not so afraid of being away from me or my girlfriend, but being left alone.

We usually get him a dog sitter or leave him with friends/family, and if need be, take him to the daycare.

Training anxiety out of dogs is really difficult.

So, since I shared the picture I have been looking up anxiety like @LadySkinsFan said (thanks for that, btw) and it turns out we have actually been supporting this behaviour, albeit unknowingly. This is both me and my GFs first dog so we just didn't know it would work out this way. And it's mostly my fault. 

I can bore you guys with the science behind it, but basically he was given too much soace/responsibility too soon. On top of that he always had access to us while we were in the house AND to make all of that worse, when we came home it was like some big event for him and we played into that. 

We have corrected alot of our behavior and he is responding to that. He's a smart dog, which is where we mad our mistake....gave him too much too fast. But he is still a puppy so we dialed stuff back a bit and I think I have it under control now. At the very least he doesn't have access to what he did before so he won't get to the carpet or wall again. 

Oh and he was adopted but months ago and he just started doing this. 

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

The doggy daycare I worked at was $10/day. We had cameras everywhere so the owners could watch anytime. 

I wish I could find one that affordable. The ones near us are 28-38. ****s insane. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Since I worked from home when I got Dancer, it wasn't a problem. My last assignments I had to work in Fairfax, so I worried about her being alone. 

I just treated it like I was going to the grocery store. If I left anything paper, she'd shred it, but nothing else. But she was 3 at that time, so not a puppy.

Glad you're having success with his behavior!

58 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wish I could find one that affordable. The ones near us are 28-38. ****s insane. 

Yeah that's why I use them as the last possible scenario.

The best solution is to find a local pet sitter. I've had good luck with local college students. There are quite a lot of websites like Rover where you can find them. If you can find 2-3 reliable ones, you will always have someone who can come over and help out.

With anxiety, you really have to be careful because for some breeds, even the best training is not getting it out of them. I tried a lot of things with my dog, and nothing really stuck. Border collies are pack animals and they go nuts if left alone.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

Just picked up this guy at the shelter yesterday ...besides a shredding incident and barking at me once  when I tried to get him out from under the bed, he’s been great.   My only concern is how well he’s going to fare when I’m gone for work ... I slept on the couch last night  where he was sleeping right next to me ... so perhaps that will help a bit with seperation anxiety ... he’s also got some medicine to help with that

C1AB120C-F1A0-4761-826B-D21AD20BFCDF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Damn mutt was sleep on his bed. I get up during a movie to go potty. I hear him in my room (found out this weekend he can open doors with the handle and not the nobb - think Chris Bosh in Jurassic Park). Hurrily flush the toilet and come back cause oh **** what next. 

Find the little ****er like this! 

20180101_223010.jpg

EDIT: Words are hard in 2018

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/1/2018 at 12:57 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

Is he crate trained? He might feel safer/better in one.

Yeah I don’t have a crate at the moment but will get one pronto... actually the big problem I’m having now is he is going after my couch cushions.  He grabs left off the couch, then rips into them and pulls the stiffing out.  He does that shake thing frequently. Oddly enough, only when I’m home.   I thought it might have been a day /nilght lthing, but I just went out to do an errand and he left them alone.  

Don't have any answers for the couch cushion thing.  My dog is little with a little mouth, so she can't do much damage except for ripping up paper, magazines, and paperback books.  She really likes those so I have to keep those out of the way.

Patience is all I can suggest, and kindness! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Yeah I don’t have a crate at the moment but will get one pronto... actually the big problem I’m having now is he is going after my couch cushions.  He grabs left off the couch, then rips into them and pulls the stiffing out.  He does that shake thing frequently. Oddly enough, only when I’m home.   I thought it might have been a day /nilght lthing, but I just went out to do an errand and he left them alone.  

When we first got my dog, we figured we'd give her the run of the house when we were gone (because that's what worked for our previous dog).  We'd get home and she'd be panicked and have chewed through the wall (literally).  So we started crating her and it solved everything.  Her crate isn't confining, it's like her safe, cozy spot.  

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

Bitter Apple, no carpet anywhere near the crate, not near a wall. You'll have to wear him out before you go anywhere. Find out what to do about separation anxiety on the web. You might have to work up with short times away with treats for good behavior. 

He knows he did something wrong, his little face says it all. He can't help himself. 

Bach Rescue Remedy is the best for SA!

A crate will be your best friend!  My two coonhounds love their crate.  It is like their own room.  Warm blanket, toy or bone and they are good to go

8 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Don't have any answers for the couch cushion thing.  My dog is little with a little mouth, so she can't do much damage except for ripping up paper, magazines, and paperback books.  She really likes those so I have to keep those out of the way.

Patience is all I can suggest, and kindness! 

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

When we first got my dog, we figured we'd give her the run of the house when we were gone (because that's what worked for our previous dog).  We'd get home and she'd be panicked and have chewed through the wall (literally).  So we started crating her and it solved everything.  Her crate isn't confining, it's like her safe, cozy spot.  

Thanks for the advice.  

Good news is he only does it when I'm there (so far), and I think I figured out how to get him to stop.   At first I tried confronting him, tugging on his collar, trying to pull it out (yay, human wants to play tug of war!) etc. with no luck.  But then what I did was get up and go to the kitchen, and he seems to give up.   He does have a tendency to follow me wherever I go.  

• Like 3

Funny Rosie photo from her 1 year old photo shoot.  My best friend is the photographer.  The other photo is Rosie's puppy photo.  Ellen won the bronze medal is a large well known international photography competition with it. 

C28A1153-Edit.jpg

Rosie.jpg

Edited by Huly
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I are pretty sure we are going to get another Labradoodle puppy later this year.  We want to be a guardian home for a female, which basically means that we take what female pup the breeder gives us, and in return (with a discount in overall price) we get the puppy and they get breeding rights.  For females, they can have 4 liters safely, but this breeder never goes beyond 3 for the females. 

Now the controversy in the Taze household..........what to name the female pup.  So, we/I have come up with two choices.  I want to know what the RTT thinks, and I'll post this also in the Pets thread to see what everyone thinks.  

Two names, vote which you like better:

Skyler Durden - would be the official name on papers, would call her Sky.  My favorite move of all time is Fight Club, hence the play on names (Tyler Durden)

or

Starbuck - would be the official name on papers.  Would call her Star.  Basically the wife and I's favorite sci-fi TV show (reboot Battlestar Galactica). 

I actually came up with both names, wife is for Starbuck.  I'm leaning towards Skyler Durden.  What is your pick?