Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tax Bill

LadySkinsFan

I had a discussion about the "death tax" with a mouth breather/Trumper at work the other day.  He was explaining how it was the worst thing ever.  I explained to him that it only effects the wealthy.  What really convinced him I was right was saying "Do you want Hillary to keep all those millions to pass to her kid?  Or should she have to pay when she dies?!?!?!?"  Hook, line, and sinker.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, visionary said:

Senator, I'm curious at the way you refer to a proposal that consists of "If this tax cut doesn;t do what the advocates say it will do, then it will revert" as an "automatic" tax increase.  (And that's before we even get into you referring to corporations as "the American people".)  

Did you really intend to be that transparent about the fact that this tax cut will not do what it's proponents are claiming it will?  (And that you know it?)  

Larry,

Yes - I am pretty sure the GOP is that transparent. 

It's not really the GOP -- they should just say "my financial backers would stop backing me if I kept a trigger mechanism to roll back the tax cuts they hired me to put in place".  This is ridiculous, this is undemocratic -- this should be the real outrage and should have been the real outrage over Obamacare.  There was no honest consideration of a "public option" with Obamacare...

from vis's post of twitter stuff on the last page:

Corker said the lack of this information makes his policy demand even more important.

“That’s one of the reasons we need a trigger, because there’s no way they’ll have a score in time,” he said. “We’re bypassing that step, which is one of the reasons we need a backstop.”

(rhetorical question)... and why is this MASSIVELY important issue being pushed through at breakneck pace without the proper scoring and analysis?  why?  for the "small government" right-- those that think the government is wasteful and inefficient and not to be trusted with "my tax dollars"-- WHY are we rushing into this?  what is the hurry?  if these taxes score out to be a net positive for the country (with reasonable estimates... a debatable issue, of course), let's move forward into prosperity for all Americans.  If they score out to be generating significant deficits, why plunge the country further into debt while robbing the poor to feed the rich?

this makes no sense.  is the R wing of the government only rushing into the breach to give Trump a "win?"  at all costs?  really? 

5 hours ago, dchogs said:

this makes no sense.  is the R wing of the government only rushing into the breach to give Trump a "win?"  at all costs?  really? 

Really!!! And to appease their money men. 

Edited by HOF44

7 hours ago, dchogs said:

is the R wing of the government only rushing into the breach to give Trump a "win?"  at all costs?  really? 

I don't think they're doing it for Trump.  I think they're doing it for their employers.  But yes, it's something that they absolutely have to do.  

• Like 1

The bar is on the ground, can't be lowered. Why even call this a "win?" It's embarrassing. The party has the House, Senate, and presidency and is ready to congratulate itself for getting a bill through Congress. 

This party, man. It's like the Redskins are playing a high school team, tied at halftime, but they win by a field goal with time expiring. What a great win, Snyder can supply the Bud Light for the White House lawn party this time. 

• Like 1

Sen. Bob Casey (D., Pa.) is right about the tax bill currently working its way through Congress when he says, “Congressional Republicans have taken great pains to spin their tax scheme as great for the middle class, but a few marginal changes don’t change the fact that their plan is fundamentally a massive giveaway to the wealthy at the expense of the middle class.” And every CEO knows he’s right.

How do I know what CEOs are thinking? I’m one of them.

I’ve grown a Philadelphia-based small business into a business with cafes and industrial facilities in six states and the District of Columbia. I’ve placed canned draft lattes on market shelves in every corner of the country. And I employ hundreds of people in almost every income tax bracket. Along the way, I’ve learned a thing or two about how to grow a profitable business that values the people at its core and the communities where we do business.

And I can tell you what no other CEO wants to tell you: Casey is right when he says that a half-trillion dollars of corporate tax giveaways proposed by the GOP aren’t going to do a thing for the middle class, or create a single job.

Because what every CEO knows but won’t tell you is this: A tax break for their company simply means a fatter bottom line.

Not jobs. Not investment. Just more money in the pockets of the folks like me.

That’s bad policy, and it’s time to set the record straight.

Congress is working on a bill with the goal of “tax reform” and “stimulating the economy,” with the half-trillion in corporate tax giveaways, most of which is shouldered on the middle class, whose taxes will go up. The wealthy and corporations that will benefit most from this “reform” neither need nor require it.

This “stimulus” clearly falls within the sort of cuts one might expect when the economy needs to be goosed — typically when investment cash supply is low, when interest rates are high, or the stock market is slumping or even tumbling.

But what every CEO knows but will not tell you is that the reverse conditions are actually true — this is not an economy to goose. If anything, the present business landscape is red hot and over-stimulated. Cash and capital are flowing heavily with unprecedented amounts of money looking for a home for investment, interest rates are extraordinarily low, and the stock market is at top-row, nosebleed heights.

A CEO has a powerful fiduciary duty to return all profits to shareholders — not to the employees, or the suppliers, or the community and certainly not to the unemployed or left behind. Let me say that again: Profit goes to shareholders (and the CEO) and not to the employees.

A tax code designed to increase corporate profits will benefit a single group — investors. The same investors already bathing in an unprecedented investment cash inventory and who are proportionally the most wealthy among us.

La Colombe founder: What every CEO knows but won't tell you about the proposed tax bill | Opinion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

If the GOP keeps shooting themselves in the foot with these bad bills, they won't be able to count to 20 soon.

Personally, I can't wait til 'Murica realizes how ****ed they are with these bills. 

Don't hold your breathe.

The damage of the last 40 years will take a lot of work to get over. We are really effed for a while.

Also, this is the last stand for super wealthy white man. They want get everything so that there is nothing left in the future. The problem is the Dems are complicit and part of that cabal.

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Unless major concessions are made, I don't think it passes in the end. Then again, never underestimate the ability of the GOP to stick its head up in its own ass, kissing Trump on the way in.

I think this has a better chance of passing than people are giving it.  I hate it, but I think it does.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Unless major concessions are made, I don't think it passes in the end. Then again, never underestimate the ability of the GOP to stick its head up in its own ass, kissing Trump on the way in.

The "concessions" will be the "deficit triggers" and removal of the individual mandate repeal.

This thing passes.

Were the GOP ideologically honest, they would push for the deficit reform/grand bargain instead of this.  They are once again showing their true colors.  This is the GOP equivalent of Obamacare, but unlike Obamacare every taxpayer is going to feel the difference.