Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

With the track record of our medical staff (insane amount of injuries last season, 2 exiting players failing physicals, Cravens saying he was pushed to return early, etc)

Do you trust that our staff is capable of helping Guice return to his 2016 form?   Are our medical staff and trainers good enough to keep someone with his running style on the field enough to justify that high of a pick?

Is that a concern for anyone?  Does it factor into drafting him that early?  Just thinking out loud.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

makes sense to me below that the idea is if they trade down, going early at RB including round 1 is heavily on the table. 

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/separating-fact-fiction-redskins-search-running-back

The Redskins do like Derrius Guice, likely the second running back off the board later this month in Dallas. And certainly the 'Skins like Saquon Barkley, but the crazy talented Penn State product won't last to 13. Plenty of other names are intriguing, perhaps none more so than Sony Michel, but don't overlook his college teammate Nick Chubb either. Players like Ronald Jones and Rashaad Penny have some brand value, but don't sleep on Auburn workhorse Kerryon Johnson.

Point being that the running back crop is deep, and while the Redskins don't hold a third round pick after the Alex Smith trade, Bruce Allen made clear the team would like to move back in the draft. 

Should the Redskins move back, later into the first or get more picks in the second, then a running back early begins to make sense. If the Redskins gain a third-round pick, then it certainly starts to look like the team could add an RB. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/4/2/17187380/2018-nfl-mock-draft-quenton-nelson-bradley-chubb-sam-darnold-josh-rosen

Another mock with Fitzpatrick lasting to 13 and beyond.

Thus, Vea, if gone, then attempt to trade back and try and draft Guice, not to far though.  If there are no takers to trade back, take Guice at #13

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Thus, Vea, if gone, then attempt to trade back and try and draft Guice, not to far though.  If there are no takers to trade back, take Guice at #13

For me its if D. James or Fitzpatrick are gone.  As for Vea for me its all about whether they (meaning Tomsula) loves him.  If they do -- great, take him.  Otherwise, I am cool with working with the D line pool later in the draft.  

Ledyard (the guy touting they draft Guice) had a good point in the radio on this yesterday -- his point was what would make the most impact and their current roster as its currently constructed -- his take a game breaking running back.  Gives your offense needed balance, maximizes Alex Smith's skills, help rest your defense, etc.

For me right now

Plan A:  D. James or Fitzpatrick if they fall to 13 

Plan B:  Trade down pick up a pick and draft Guice 

Plan C: Draft Guice at 13 straight up

If they love Vea, then take him.  Hurst too me is an interesting wildcard.  If you listen to the PFF guys they are touting him as a Darnold type.  If so, I'd be happy with him.  He's not a nose but you can never have enough 3-5 technique guys who can do it all. 

Hard for me to get over James and Fitzpatrick because they can do it all including even rushing the passer.  I think they are both the ultimate swiss army knives.   Both high character leader types, too.  I like Fitzpatrick more because of his coverage ability and he's more polished.   James though seems to be more of the physical freak.  Right now, I am thinking James is gone.  And Fitzpatrick 50-50 he's there. 

I know I'm probably the extreme minority with most of my views, but here goes.

1. I'm diametrically opposed to a db early yet again with a glaring need in the trenches.. however Fitz and James are special. No issues with either at 13 although it would hurt in other areas.

2. I don't see all the hubub about Vea. He's big and strong, but I saw a guy who was often walked/blocked out of plays or on the ground a bunch by his own making. Not really sold on Payne at 13 either. Personally I think those guys belong around the 15-20 area of the draft. I really don't think he's a top 10 guy.

3. If Guice is the legit real deal, I'd take him at 13, and follow that up with a G in the 2nd (if a highly rated one is there), then take a lesser rated DL afterward, like Phillips, Settle, etc.

My only reservations with #3 are Gruden's retarded running schemes. I'm not a fan of the TE being as active in the run game as he has them, and reach blocks and everything else he has them doing is no bueno for anyone, no matter who is in the backfield.

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hard for me to get over James and Fitzpatrick because they can do it all including even rushing the passer.  I think they are both the ultimate swiss army knives.   Both high character leader types, too.  I like Fitzpatrick more because of his coverage ability and he's more polished.   James though seems to be more of the physical freak.  Right now, I am thinking James is gone.  And Fitzpatrick 50-50 he's there. 

I think the draft is going to start Darnold, Chubb, Allen.

1. Browns - Sam Darnold

2. Giants - Bradley Chubb

3. Jets - Josh Allen

Scenario 1:

4. Browns - Saquan Barkley

5. Jets - Baker Mayfield

6. Colts - Quenton Nelson

7. Buccaneers - Derwin James

8. Bears - Minkah Fitzpatrick

9. 49ers - Tremaine Edmunds

10. Raiders - Roquan Smith

11. Dolphins - Vita Vea

12. Bills - Josh Rosen

13. Redskins: *TRADE DOWN* (BPA does not fit needs)

Scenario 2:

4. Bills - Josh Rosen

5. Broncos - Baker Mayfield

6. Colts - Saquan Barkley

7. Buccaneers - Derwin James

8. Chicago - Quenton Nelson

9. Browns - Tremaine Edmunds

11. Dolphins - Vita Vea

12. Browns - Mike McGlinchey

13. Redskins - Minkah Fitzpatrick or *TRADE DOWN*

The more teams in the Top 12 that take players at positions that we don't need the better. So the more QBs the merrier. Any WRs that creep in, great. Dolphins drafting an OT instead of a DT ... perfect.

My "PERFECT STORM" projection would be:

1. Browns - Sam Darnold

2. Giants - Bradley Chubb

3. Jets - Josh Allen

4. Bills - Josh Rosen

6. Colts - Quenton Nelson

7. Buccaneers - Saquan Barkley

8. Bears - Denzel Ward

9. 49ers - Courtland Sutton

11. Dolphins - Connor Williams

13. Redskins - Fitzpatrick, James, Vea, Edmunds are all available ...

And in that perfect storm scenario, I would roll the dice and try to make a trade with anyone from 16-19 and get a 3rd rounder back. Could look at ...

13. Chargers - Derwin James

14. Packers - Minkah Fitzpatrick

15. Cardinals - Calvin Ridley

16. Ravens - DJ Moore

17. Redskins - Still Edmunds, Vea there to take, and Guice also becomes more palatable

IDK just spitballing scenarios

1.  I would be so pleased if these things happen in the draft:

- Get a third-round pick by any means necessary.

- Get a DT, OG, and RB (in no particular order) with their first three picks.

2.  The Redskins FO must must must make a serious attempt to fix the run offense and defense this year.

It kinda sucks ... I think the perfect trade partners for us would be Seattle at 18 and Dallas at 19.

Trading back ahead of the Lions at 20 ... mainly because the Lions would be a threat to take a RB or DT at 20.

Seattle doesn't have a 2nd OR 3rd rounder, and while they have 4, 5, 5, 5, 5 ... I'm not interested in getting all their 5's as a trade compensation ... and I don't think they'd be willing to trade all of their mid-round picks to go from 18 to 13. BUT, if James or Fitzpatrick fell, I could see them coveting one of them. Just stinks they don't have the capital or likely desire to make it work.

Dallas has the picks that would make sense. The problem here is ... they're likely going to target Fitzpatrick, James or Vea. Do you want to turn around and hand your division rival a defensive blue-chipper in exchange for a 3rd? I mean maybe you squeeze out a 2nd ... but that's still a tough pill to swallow. Would you take Dallas' 19th and 2nd rounder and hand them Derwin James? Meh.

Chargers at 17 could make sense since their Top 3 needs are RT, DT and FS. Good chance if Fitzpatrick is there, or a run on OTs starts, that LAC would try to leapfrog up to get them at 13. It would cost them a 3rd.

Honestly, Chargers might be the best case trade-partner for us if we want to add a 3rd and stick within range to maybe take a shot at Guice, Vea, Payne or one of the Guards or Centers (Price, Hernandez, Wynn)

And to put a period on my contribution to this discussion this morning ...

I think the two most likely trade-down opportunities will be to go from 13 to 17-20 and get a 3rd rounder + be in range to either take Guice or Wynn/Hernandez or one of the falling blue-chippers like Vea or Edmunds (if there's a run on WRs and OTs and QBs)

The other would be to go from 13 to completely out of the 1st. Going past 20 likely takes us out of position to getting one of the guys we have on our board at 13 ... so I have a hard time seeing us drop into the 20's as much as I could see us trading from 13 to get a bunch of 2s and 3s.

If Cleveland wants to work their way back into the 1st ... especially if they trade with Buffalo and want to get a 3rd blue-chipper ... I could see them going up to 13 and giving us 33 and 35. In that scenario, you'd have 33, 35 and 44. All picks would be within range to hit on DT, LG/C, RB

I really see a scenario where Cleveland trades 4 to Buffalo for 12, 22 and 53. That would give them 1.1 + 1.12 + 1.21 + 2.1 + 2.3 + 2.21 + 2.32

Cleveland has some talent and good depth. They need impact guys. They could use 1.21 and a 2nd to leap back into the Top 10 ... or they could stick at #21, and use 2.1 and 2.3 (or 2.3 + 2.21 + 2.32) to get to #13 range. That would leave Cleveland with 1.1 + 1.12 + 1.13 + 1.21 + either 2.1 or 2.21/2.32 ... if Cleveland trades with Buffalo and fails to get back into the Top 10 with their added picks ... I could see them getting on the clock at #12 and calling up the Skins at #13 and basically saying "we want to take 2 guys we covet here ... what would it take to get #13 from you" ... and we can either say "we want #21 and one of your 2nds (most likely to get back 53)" or "either give us 2.1 and 2.3 or 2.3 + 2.21 + 2.32)

Browns trading #4 to Buffalo provides a LOT of intrigue.

And to throw another wrench in there, if Buffalo traded #12 and #21 to the Colts for #6 for a QB ... I could also see the Colts do something similar when they get up at #12 ... calling us at #13 and saying, we like 2 guys here ... and with 21, 35, 36 and 58, theyd also have a lot of ammo to get back up.

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me its if D. James or Fitzpatrick are gone.  As for Vea for me its all about whether they (meaning Tomsula) loves him.  If they do -- great, take him.  Otherwise, I am cool with working with the D line pool later in the draft.  

Ledyard (the guy touting they draft Guice) had a good point in the radio on this yesterday -- his point was what would make the most impact and their current roster as its currently constructed -- his take a game breaking running back.  Gives your offense needed balance, maximizes Alex Smith's skills, help rest your defense, etc.

For me right now

Plan A:  D. James or Fitzpatrick if they fall to 13 

Plan B:  Trade down pick up a pick and draft Guice 

Plan C: Draft Guice at 13 straight up

If they love Vea, then take him.  Hurst too me is an interesting wildcard.  If you listen to the PFF guys they are touting him as a Darnold type.  If so, I'd be happy with him.  He's not a nose but you can never have enough 3-5 technique guys who can do it all. 

Our Plan B and C are spot on we just have different Plan A (player choices). :)

Chris Thompson is such a key piece of our offense, with Gruden being a massive supporter of his, that Im not convinced RB is the way to go in round one. At this stage I'd be suprised if we picked one before the fourth round, maybe third if we get a picked acquired in that round.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think the two most likely trade-down opportunities will be to go from 13 to 17-20 and get a 3rd rounder + be in range to either take Guice or Wynn/Hernandez or one of the falling blue-chippers like Vea or Edmunds (if there's a run on WRs and OTs and QBs)

Just a hunch but I think our first trade partner MIGHT be AZ.  Why?  Other teams like PITT and NO might want Jackson as well as AZ, thus AZ move up from #15 to #13.  We'd get their 3rd rounder.  We also only slide 2 spots.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Just a hunch but I think our first trade partner MIGHT be AZ.  Why?  Other teams like PITT and NO might want Jackson as well as AZ, thus AZ move up from #15 to #13.  We'd get their 3rd rounder.  We also only slide 2 spots.

Yeah, I could see that too. But that would have to be a perfect storm. That would mean we'd have to "sell" to AZ that teams are calling us. Or Arizona would have to be afraid that GB would be fielding calls. I have a hard time seeing GB moving down since their biggest needs are LB and CB ... and there's a very high likelihood that 1-2 of Ward/Fitz/James/Edmunds is there for them at 14, making it hard for them to go to late 1st. And if Arizona is gonna throw in a 3rd rounder, that *Should* buy them access to a pick 10-12, so I would expect them to do that rather than risk it and wait until we're up at #13 to make a trade. I've seen them going from 15 to 10 to take Jackson in a lot of mocks that have Buffalo going to 4/6 to take a QB.

To be honest, if I had to choose between Guice and Vea at 13, I'd take Guice. As @Skinsinparadise mentioned in quoting another source...Guice could be a game changer for us and single-handedly make our offense far more potent both with his rushing ability and that opening things up for Smith. I don't see Vea as a game changer. I'm just not that impressed with his film. To me it seems like the only thing he's great at is being huge. He's a good lane clogger but his balance doesn't seem very good as he seems to get knocked off of his feet rather easily. His technique is mediocre and he plays too high. His pass rush is basically pure bull rush and some of his sacks were coverage sacks...he really doesn't use any other moves (though one time I saw him try a spin move and it.....didn't work out well for him). Being that big in college playing against guys who lack technique will get you plays just by virtue of being enormous and running at a guy, but that won't work in the NFL.

Then there's the most worrying thing to me....he disappears at times and plays really hot and cold. He'll be completely dominant on one play and then seem to give minimal effort on the next. I don't know if that's a conditioning issue or an attitude issue but it's a red flag. He really seems to be a guy who gets by purely on being a mammoth. That's like a WR who sucks at route running but it doesn't matter in college because he's a freak athlete with big size. But that won't work in the NFL. Maybe he can be coached up but I'm just not all that keen on him.

I could see Dallas wanting to jump the pack to get Ridley. Moving back to 19 is a good trade back scenario for me.

I also like the idea of jumping up from 44. Get nearer the top of the second, maybe even get 32 from Philly. They may want to slide out the first to save cap dollars under their rookie pool. They are strapped on space.

46 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Scenario 2:

4. Bills - Josh Rosen

6. Colts - Saquan Barkley

7. Buccaneers - Derwin James

8. Chicago - Quenton Nelson

9. Browns - Tremaine Edmunds

11. Dolphins - Vita Vea

13. Redskins - Minkah Fitzpatrick or *TRADE DOWN*

The more teams in the Top 12 that take players at positions that we don't need the better. So the more QBs the merrier. Any WRs that creep in, great. Dolphins drafting an OT instead of a DT ... perfect.

IDK just spitballing scenarios

What you are doing here, is what I like to mess with when I am bored. :)   I like playing with scenarios.  On the other hand, I hate doing those mock fan drafts where you can trade down like crazy and accrue a gazillion picks because they end up being so unrealistic. 

And maybe its the optimist in me but I think the chances are good that either Ward, Fitzpatrick or James lands at 13.  And if so I doubt we trade back.  If the Redskins love Fitzpatrick as multiple beat guys report and ditto Derrius Guice.  Then they got a decision to make if Fitzpatrick is there at 13.  Take the dude or trade down and hope to get Guice.

I keep hearing they might bring back Lauvao. Not that I think he's the solution but maybe that's a stop gap in case they don't get an extra pick to land an OG or maybe they are waiting until after the draft. 

I'd presume ideally they'd like to address DL, RB, OG in the first 3 or 4 rounds.  But the problem with that is it boxes you some to draft based on need and or if you go pure BPA, you might end up skipping need and in turn end up with glaring holes on the roster.  

The one position they have telegraphed to death is wanting a RB in the draft.  The runner up would be DT if they don't sign a guy in FA.   Maybe the fallback is if no one signs Logan they'd grab him after the draft -- if they don't draft a DT.

My guess is if Hankins doesn't come closer to their price.  They will wait to after the draft and spend on a guy who addresses a position they didn't hit in the draft.  I know some are saying they are just going to sit on that money and carry it to 2019.  That's possible.  But their rhetoric and actions indicate they will spend at least some of that money but are waiting for the right deal/deals. 

As for Guice -- listening to ironically both the 106.7 guys and Cooley-Sheehan today.  The perception with them is Guice is Perine but a better version of it.  He's a grinder/power back type.  Cooley admitted that he hasn't watched him.  If that's all he was, I'd be "meh" on the dude.  But like I said if he's the 2016 souped up version of himself -- he's much more than a grinder.  He's explosive and shifty with incredible balance.   

Cooley said that he found out that Clinton Portis is advising the team on running backs in this draft.  That he has a formal draft role.  That's interesting so Portis with RBs and D Hall with Cbs.   Cooley said he thinks Portis doesn't like Guice.  Now, I could have sworn Portis did like him at least he did during the season at some point, recall him talking about college RBs but if I recall he wasn't his favorite.  But yeah if Portis doesn't like Guice then its ironic and funny considering we keep hearing the FO does.  So if so they are ignoring him on that one.

Just read a comp of playing style saying Guice is basically what hunt was last year in the NFL. 

Sign me up. Even at 13. But ideally after trading down. A game changing RB has been on my wish list since it was apparent Perine wasn’t it. 

A game changing RB, DT, LG in order i think contribute to our 2018 success. If a guy like Guice makes your offense Top 10 in scoring you aren’t gonna feel the pangs of a DL that’s good but not great as much. 

And similarly ... a DT that makes your defense Top 10 makes having a Top 10 offense less necessary. 

A dominant LG could make your pedestrian RBs very good but it’s one layer removed from a direct impact on the offense to me as an RB, if that makes sense. 

Now if if you got a dominant LG AND RB to double down, even better. But then you are likely sacrificing the Fromt 3 on defense by gambling on a 4th round NT and hope someone falls

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley said that he found out that Clinton Portis is advising the team on running backs in this draft.  That he has a formal draft role.  That's interesting so Portis with RBs and D Hall with Cbs.   Cooley said he thinks Portis doesn't like Guice.  Now, I could have sworn Portis did like him at least he did during the season at some point, recall him talking about college RBs but if I recall he wasn't his favorite.  But yeah if Portis doesn't like Guice then its ironic and funny considering we keep hearing the FO does.  So if so they are ignoring him on that one.

I wonder who Portis like.  Jones from USC?  

53 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Ward, Fitzpatrick, James fall to 13, wonder if Seattle is potentially a trading partner.   Just playing around with mocks, I think Fitzpatrick is the one that's most likely of the three falling to 13.  I'd just take Fitzpatrick in that case.  If they have a stud-nickel free safety type and find a way to get another DT then I think the defense is stacked enough to be good.  

I personally don't have a good feel for scouting D linemen so I completely rely on what others say about these guys.  It should be interesting to see how Maurice Hurst pans out because the PFF guys are screaming that this dude is one of the top 3 players in the draft, Donald type of abilities.  If so, you can play Hurst, Ioannidis, Allen in the nickel -- that would be a fun combination if Hurst is who PFF say he is.  

As for Vea, I'd be ok with it from the stand point of it would solve the NT position once and for all and I just don't trust the FO to be cute with the position.   The two positions I have seen enough of the FO playing cute with and failing is NT and RB.  But Vea isn't my top choice for 13.   

It's interesting to see the teams poking around Guice -- Eagles, Ravens, Seahawks, Steelers.  He seems to fit the profile-personality of the teams -- especially the Ravens and Steelers.  He doesn't just run tough but plays with that chip on his shoulder.  Cooley likes to say (though not in the context of Guice) the offense desperately needs a guy with attitude for the others to feed off of because they have too many quiet guys on that side of the ball.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/03/derrius_guice_combine.html

Derrius Guice to NFL teams: 'If you don't draft me, I'm going to give your defense hell'

..."If you don't draft me, I'm going to give your defense hell," Guice said Thursday when asked what he's telling teams in Indianapolis this week.

...As a runner between the tackles and stuff, in my opinion, there's no one better than me in that area -- point blank," Guice said.

Guice was a fixture in the LSU offense the past two years. As a sophomore in 2016, he had 1,387 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns, regularly playing a starting role while Leonard Fournette dealt with injuries. Guice averaged an impressive 7.6 yards per carry.

As a junior in 2017, Guice was the Tigers' top running back, but injuries prevented him from breaking out even more. He ran for 1,251 yards and 11 touchdowns while averaging 5.3 yards per carry.

..."I see angriness," Guice said. "I see somebody that refuses to go down. When I run, I really think about him every time. And when I go back and watch him, I'm like, 'Man, I really run like this dude. It's crazy.'"

Of course this is all speculative and each prospect has their own concerns. But let’s take a best case scenario here on each on?

Kareem Hunt at RB

Alex Mack at OC

Dontari Poe at NT

which would you take in their prime? It really is a tough call. But I’d probably take Hunt/Mack plus a 3rd rounder if faced with the opportunity. But even at the face value of 13, I’d take Kareem Hunt or Alex Mack

and in this scenario I’m talking about Guice or Billy Price. Now, I’m not arguing for Price at 13. Just making comps to ease the discussion a bit 

@Skinsinparadise only problem is Seattle has no 2/3 rounder. So I guess we could go from 13 to 18 and take a 5th this year and a 2nd or 3rd next year. Which if you land Guice or Vea there is fine and gives you even more ammo for next year. BUT ... it would be a hard sell to the fan base if you can’t land one of those and take ourself out of the running for a true impact defender at 13. 

And Seattle historically covets picks. Hard to see them parting with more next year when they look to be re-tooling a bit

That being said @Skinsinparadiseif we traded 13 to Seattle and got Guice at 18 and added 2 more 5th rounders (Seattle has 4) this year and say a 3rd next year I would do it. Having FOUR 5th rounders this year would be a ton of ammo to move back up in the 2nd or from the 4th into the 3rd. And you would add yet another pick in 2019 to go along with the compensation accumulation. 

Example, if you then took 2 5th rounders this year and paired them with your 4th to move up for Settle in the 3rd and added an impact LG/C or DB/LB at 44 to go with Guice ... that would be a win for me 

Say the 4 QBs are gone (where Cle, NYG, NYJ, and Bills (via trade up) each take one, perhaps a tackle becomes a prime trade target to get ahead of Zona/Ravens (who both need help at tackle)?  Perhaps those teams trade up to 13 to get the top rated tackle?

Example trade ups would be:

Cards trade 15+134 for 13

Ravens trade 16+83 for 13+109

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

That being said @Skinsinparadiseif we traded 13 to Seattle and got Guice at 18 and added 2 more 5th rounders (Seattle has 4) this year and say a 3rd next year I would do it. Having FOUR 5th rounders this year would be a ton of ammo to move back up in the 2nd or from the 4th into the 3rd. And you would add yet another pick in 2019 to go along with the compensation accumulation. 

Example, if you then took 2 5th rounders this year and paired them with your 4th to move up for Settle in the 3rd and added an impact LG/C or DB/LB at 44 to go with Guice ... that would be a win for me 

Don't see Seattle sacrificing any picks.  They don't have a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder.  I bet they try super hard to trade down and recoup those lost picks.

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What you are doing here, is what I like to mess with when I am bored. :)   I like playing with scenarios.  On the other hand, I hate doing those mock fan drafts where you can trade down like crazy and accrue a gazillion picks because they end up being so unrealistic. 

FanSpeak is my favorite, but it almost always offers you a trade that is more beneficial to you. It's trade-chart accurate, but trade-downs really do take a perfect storm to work out for you and FanSpeak makes it hard sometimes to remember that. The other one (Forget the name) is awful. Hey I'll trade 1.13 to Dallas for basically their entire draft. And do that 5x over so I have 20 picks in the first 2 rounds. Idk how people can enjoy that since it's 0% rooted in logic.

Anyway, I've found myself using my spare time at work compiling mock 2-round mock drafts. And I try my best to take my fan-cap off but even in those scenarios it's hard to not try to make a trade-down make sense. Anyway, I get to about our 2nd rounder and then re-envision new scenarios (trades usually involving other teams besides Skins, particularly in Top 8 picks) that throws it off and starts me over again haha. But it's a fun exercise for sure.

41 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Just read a comp of playing style saying Guice is basically what hunt was last year in the NFL. 

Sign me up. Even at 13. But ideally after trading down. A game changing RB has been on my wish list since it was apparent Perine wasn’t it. 

A game changing RB, DT, LG in order i think contribute to our 2018 success. If a guy like Guice makes your offense Top 10 in scoring you aren’t gonna feel the pangs of a DL that’s good but not great as much. 

And similarly ... a DT that makes your defense Top 10 makes having a Top 10 offense less necessary. 

A dominant LG could make your pedestrian RBs very good but it’s one layer removed from a direct impact on the offense to me as an RB, if that makes sense. 

Now if if you got a dominant LG AND RB to double down, even better. But then you are likely sacrificing the Fromt 3 on defense by gambling on a 4th round NT and hope someone falls

Yeah your point plays off of Ledyard's which was what type of player would be a game changer specifically for the Redskins.  In his mind a great RB.  Now, he thinks Guice is up there with Barkley so he's in love with the player.  He's the guy on twitter saying Redskins fans should find a new team if they take a nose over Guice.  He also thinks Guice > R. Jones or Vea.

Heck early on in this process I was a draft Guice guy at 13.  I've backed away some from it but I still like it though he isn't my top choice at 13 now.  Last year I took the same path with Dalvin Cook.  And Cook before his injury was looking like a breakout star.   So maybe I got to stick with the RB I like early in the process and just ride with it --might be a good omen. :)

But yeah look at Dallas for example.  Their defense isn't hot.  But they can run the ball.  And that among other things keeps the defense off the field. Elliot almost single handily elevates them above mediocrity.  I was at the New Orleans game and it was rough to watch Perine stuffed with the game on the line at 3rd and 1.  I'd put money that you aren't stuffing Guice in that situation.  Perine is strong but he doesn't run with abandon and push off tackles IMO as well as Guice does.  Guice to me runs both with better power, speed and balance than Perine.

If I recall every RB on our roster sans Thompson is slower than even 4.65 -- Bibbs, Kelley, Perine.   Guice might not even be at 100% and ran a 4.49.  This idea that the dude is just another slow poke grinder that some in the media covering the team tends to think -- is not only off but Guice actually would bring seem needed speed to this offense -- I believe he'd be the third fastest starter on this offense.

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Don't see Seattle sacrificing any picks.  They don't have a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder.  I bet they try super hard to trade down and recoup those lost picks.

Probably so, forgot they lost picks.  Wonder if that changes if they gain some high picks if they trade E. Thomas.

Archived