Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Just making sure you saw this. :)

Source. (i agree that he pays a smallish amount compared to his wealth, since stock is untaxable until it’s sold) He still pays taxes on dividends and other income...

Btw, you made a good point about it property tax as a wealth tax a while back.

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

So what is your point? That the rich can just get out of paying the wealth tax by obtaining a lot of debt?

Actually, yes.

If you'd like to discuss this intelligently, you should read up on some of the ways the rich avoid paying taxes.

Borrowing Tactics – Strategic borrowing methods can actually earn money. Because of the leverage the mega-rich hold, they are able to borrow money in ways that can literally make money for them when they spot an opportunity.

One example is to purchase stock options at a fixed rate, then use those options as collateral to borrow money, which is used to make money off other opportunities. The loan is then paid off with those proceeds or by handing over the shares, thus avoiding capital gains.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/how-the-mega-rich-avoid-paying-taxes

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Source. (i agree that he pays a smallish amount compared to his wealth, since stock is untaxable until it’s sold) He still pays taxes on dividends and other income...

His income from dividends is miniscule compared to the value of the assets he holds. Which is the entire point of a tax on weath. 

Jeff Bezos is worth is $134,000,000,000. His annual salary is about $80,000. 

49 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

A good explanation. Started a minute in to the meat of the video.

this is an awesome video. I miss school house rock, channel 1, and all the other ways they used to teach these concepts to the common folk 🙂 Thank you for sharing. I would love one of these on Brexit. 

30 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

this is an awesome video. I miss school house rock, channel 1, and all the other ways they used to teach these concepts to the common folk 🙂 Thank you for sharing. I would love one of these on Brexit.

Haven't seen any good short explanations of Brexit. John Oliver had a good recent segment on Brexit. If you can get past some jokes it's very informative.

This vid is good to show why negotiating with Britain sucks

Just to elaborate, whatever policy question is asked of me, I’m going to say, “well, it’s a lot like football...” and then go on to explain it in a metaphor. I think that’ll connect with people.

ex. abortion?

well, it’s a lot like football...

Ok, this isn’t going to work.

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Just to elaborate, whatever policy question is asked of me, I’m going to say, “well, it’s a lot like football...” and then go on to explain it in a metaphor. I think that’ll connect with people.

ex. abortion?

Bring in the punter.

14 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

ex. abortion?

Seriously?  You need a policy writer.

"Well abortion is somewhat like football.  You can't score on every drive.  Sometimes you have to accept your efforts haven't cut it.  Your product just isn't up to standards.  You need to punt and hope for better next time."

12 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

For those advocating for Kasich, he signed this "Handmaids Tale" bill into law when he was Ohio's governor. He's a Republican and agrees with their party platform.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-abortion-ohio/court-allows-ohio-law-blocking-planned-parenthood-funding-idUSKBN1QT23V

Handmaid's Tale bill?  That seems like a bit of an exaggeration even if you don't agree with the decision (which I don't fwiw).

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

ex. abortion?

You’re overthinking this. Just say it’s personal and move on. Clearly worked to get Christians to vote for such a proven biblical scholar 

On 3/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, visionary said:

Re FB taking down posts they feel are not true to their values, however you want to phrase it, Twitter isn't any better.  I've been banned and reinstated 3 times in the last 4 years.  I've never been told exactly why I've been banned but I suspect its because of re-tweeting.  The world would be a better place without all this social media.

14 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Seriously?  You need a policy writer.

"Well abortion is somewhat like football.  You can't score on every drive.  Sometimes you have to accept your efforts haven't cut it.  Your product just isn't up to standards.  You need to punt and hope for better next time."

Well abortion is a lot like building a winning football team.  Sometimes you are in a building phase and you have to make decisions that recognize you aren't ready to go all the way to the Super Bowl yet.  

1 hour ago, Force1958 said:

Re FB taking down posts they feel are not true to their values, however you want to phrase it, Twitter isn't any better.  I've been banned and reinstated 3 times in the last 4 years.  I've never been told exactly why I've been banned but I suspect its because of re-tweeting.  The world would be a better place without all this social media.

They probably think you a bot!

On 3/11/2019 at 9:28 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Nothing is stopping you from doing so. You could give 50K if you wanted to... You could gladly but you don’t.

So what is your point? That the rich can just get out of paying the wealth tax by obtaining a lot of debt?

again, there is nothing stopping these guys from donating all their wealth... if they really believe they should and aren’t just giving lip service.

you honesty cannot tell the difference between:   

"I think people in this group, like me, should pay more taxes to help solve an important problem..." 

versus...

"..here take my money.... but please DON'T solve the problem that we are currently talking about... only take MY money, nobody else's... because, you know.. i am not interested in solving any problems.. I just want to give away my ****...... "   ?

if you think that is a compelling argument.. then you are either dumber than a box of rocks, or you think that holds true for the audience you are speaking to. 

for what it s worth...i don;t think you are dumber than a box of rocks...so it hurts my feelings that you clearly think that i AM!   :(

Archived