Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Just now, PeterMP said:

If you believe massive unempolyment due to automation is coming, giving everybody $12K a year seems pretty pointless.

Outlawing further automation makes much more sense.

I dont think the automation reason is really there and exaggerated, I just like the idea of UBI for people to help them 

2 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Harris' sounding a bit nervous. Biden really on this lets go backwards tip.

I'm not sure how I feel about her attempts to defend her own plan.  But damn them for not even reading it when going after her, or confirming who wrote it.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The last time a VP's ticket won the VP's home state after that party lost it in the prior election is 1992 (Al Gore).  Almost 30 years ago.  Clinton won that election 370/169 electoral votes, so saying that Gore won him a state is speculative at best.  Clinton won Georgia and Kentucky (and Arkansas and Louisiana).   

That's one of those facts that sounds really remarkable until you look at it. There have actually only been 3 VP picks who even could have flipped a state that way (Kemp, Edwards, Ryan). The smallest flip possible there would have been North Carolina in 2004, at 12.8 points. In an election where the incumbent gained 3 points nationally and the head of that VP's party ticket went from having a southerner on top of  it to not having one.

So, not that compelling. Even if there were actually an argument on the table that "VP picks flip states" which there isn't.

Then, the question is:  Even if you assume that a VP can help you win their one state, is it worth it if they cost you votes overall, especially in swingier states?

That at least borders on a straw man when you're responding to someone who said the first priority would be to pick a VP who does no harm.

If a progressive like Liz Warren is at the top of the ticket, I'd pick a moderate that can go into swing states (like Mayor Pete or Sherrod Brown).  If a moderate is at the top like Biden, I'd pick a more progressive person that can speak to the base and take the message into more progressive areas, but won't scare off moderates

I find the argument that a VP pick can't help in their home state, but can help across multiple other swing states to be silly, at best.

I wanted to hear more from Yang.  Oh well.

I know this is part of his "charm" but Biden is stumbling over his words too much for me.  Besides having plans and being a solid candidate, I feel like you also need someone who can stay on their game when they debate Trump head to head, because you know he'll interrupt and generally be an ass. Biden seems to be missing this.  From that point, Harris seems much better equipped.  And Warren especially so.

I also think Yang has it, but he's got no real chance.

*Edit...and Booker...why hasn't he been on more.  I almost forgot he was involved.

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That's one of those facts that sounds really remarkable until you look at it. There have actually only been 3 VP picks who even could have flipped a state that way (Kemp, Edwards, Ryan). The smallest flip possible there would have been North Carolina in 2004, at 12.8 points. In an election where the incumbent gained 3 points nationally and the head of that VP's party ticket went from having a southerner on top of  it to not having one.

So, not that compelling. Even if there were actually an argument on the table that "VP picks flip states" which there isn't.

See Politico article posted above. 

That at least borders on a straw man when you're responding to someone who said the first priority would be to pick a VP who does no harm.

I was unclear. My point is don’t pick someone because they can help you win their home state. Pick someone because they help you the most in the true battleground states (and Texas isn’t on that list (yet)).

I find the argument that a VP pick can't help in their home state, but can help across multiple other swing states to be silly, at best.

Why?  Some people are better “fits” for states other than their own. Stacey Abrams being one obvious example. Mayor Pete another. Chances Indiana votes Dem: 0. Chances he plays really well the the true swing staes of PA WI and MI:  100. 

Just now, Forehead said:

I wanted to hear more from Yang.  Oh well.

I know this is part of his "charm" but Biden is stumbling over his words too much for me.  Besides having plans and being a solid candidate, I feel like you also need someone who can stay on their game when they debate Trump head to head, because you know he'll interrupt and generally be an ass. Biden seems to be missing this.  From that point, Harris seems much better equipped.  And Warren especially so.

I also think Yang has it, but he's got no real chance.

The Dem nomination race is between Lizzie and Kamala.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

See Politico article posted above. 

I was unclear. My point is don’t pick someone because they can help you win their home state. Pick someone because they help you the most in the true battleground states (and Texas isn’t on that list (yet)).

Why?  Some people are better “fits” for states other than their own. Stacey Abrams being one obvious example. 

**** geography.

The Dems absolutely have to have a minority: black or Hispanic on the ticket. 

Archived