Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, clietas said:

Idk when it ends honestly. @Larry might be correct that the minute the clock strikes 12am on inauguration day the president / president elect is sworn in. Everything else is just ceremonial. I hope that the case. 

20th amendment section 1:

The terms of the President and the Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3rd day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

49 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

The guy I think can play, but given his politics, I cannot support him.

I guess the real question is whether he can be deprogrammed or if he’s willing to open his eyes to reality. Some Trumpers who live in that echo chamber know nothing but that false reality. 

Maybe he’s not a racist and a fascist? Maybe he’s just a fool. 74 million people voted for Trump. All of them are fools, but a fair number of them are probably smart and a tiny percentage might even be good people. 

Inauguration story, not worth it's own thread.  

Friend told me that he read a story supposedly from when Jimmy Carter, anti-Washington-establishment candidate, got sworn in. Supposedly, after the parade and things, he's in the Oval, receiving once again a DoD briefing on emergency procedures, nuclear codes, and things like that.  He'd heard it before, but now it's real.  

And part of the briefing was being told that, if we were to detect a Russian nuclear attack against us, it would take the ICBMs 20 minutes to get here.  And the Defense Department maintains a constant ability to have the President in a classified, nuclear-proof bunker, safe from attack, 15 minutes from getting the signal, any time, day or night.  

And Carter made a point of looking at his watch, and said "Go."  

(20 minutes later, they were still in the Oval Office.)  

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I guess the real question is whether he can be deprogrammed or if he’s willing to open his eyes to reality. Some Trumpers who live in that echo chamber know nothing but that false reality. 

Maybe he’s not a racist and a fascist? Maybe he’s just a fool. 74 million people voted for Trump. All of them are fools, but a fair number of them are probably smart and a tiny percentage might even be good people. 

Oh, they are not all bad.  

Let's see how he carries himself.  If he acts like the Hercules guy (Sorbo), he needs to be immediately cut.  

5 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Oh, they are not all bad.  

Let's see how he carries himself.  If he acts like the Hercules guy (Sorbo), he needs to be immediately cut.  

In fairness, I have chosen not to read these quotes. His play has made him a great underdog story. I’m not sure where a line should be drawn. I think I’d be against cutting someone for political beliefs unless they were inciting violence or fomenting hatred. 

if that’s who he is he sure would be tough to root for though and I’d never get a jersey. Mind you, if he was a ravening bigot, I doubt Turner and Rivera would have brought him in multiple times. 

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

In fairness, I have chosen not to read these quotes. His play has made him a great underdog story. I’m not sure where a line should be drawn. I think I’d be against cutting someone for political beliefs unless they were inciting violence or fomenting hatred. 

if that’s who he is he sure would be tough to root for though and I’d never get a jersey. Mind you, if he was a ravening bigot, I doubt Turner and Rivera would have brought him in multiple times. 

He does not appear to be a bigot, at least from what I see in the tweets. Seems like a Trump supporter but has not acted like a far-right lunatic.  

Nonetheless, it does tell me a lot though.  Most of the players are black.

33 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You can't.  He can't take the oath until Noon. 

To ensure Joe can take the oath; you have him take it in an undisclosed location.  I wouldn't have anyone other than immediately family at the inauguration.   There is going to be blood shed on that day.   Joe can give take the oath in an undisclosed location and then give his speech from the oval office. 

Undisclosed location - ✓

Biden, Harris, Roberts, families, leaders of House and Senate - ✓

Broadcast on all media - ✓

9 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

He does not appear to be a bigot, at least from what I see in the tweets. Seems like a Trump supporter but has not acted like a far-right lunatic.  

First, I want to say I totally get where you are coming from. So don't take this any other way than just how I approach it. The problem is if you do this then you are deciding not to follow any sports. All teams have a mix of all sides of pretty much every situation - especially football teams since there are so many people on each team. If I saw right, Jack Del Rio is a Trump supporter - or at least was the last I saw. 

I get this is compartmentalizing but for me I can still root for the team to do well and if he is playing I will root for him to do well so it helps the team but that's it. I do not have to like him. I hate Snyder but I still root for the team to do well.

So for me, if he is the guy that helps us win more games OK, I can root for the team to do well while he is on it. As soon as the changes I am done with him.  

12 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Is there somewhere where they have all the controversial tweets?  I would like to see them for my own edification.  His criticism of defund the police is something that's even shared by moderates (again, worst slogan ever).  $10 being a living wage.  That depends on the locality.  The most objectionable tweet action I saw from him was retweeting Trump (one I saw was the love it or leave it variety, but I assume there was more retweets).  He did delete his twitter history, so that could be a sign that he's not off the deep end like Sorbo and co. (or he just doesn't want to jeopardize his shot at the NFL).

Tbf, I've also been reading Mill's On Liberty lately and have been troubled by where we draw the line on cancel culture, so that may be weighing on my mind too on top of the feeling I had coming off the game yesterday.  

23 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Is there somewhere where they have all the controversial tweets?  I would like to see them for my own edification.  His criticism of defund the police is something that's even shared by moderates (again, worst slogan ever).  $10 being a living wage.  That depends on the locality.  The most objectionable tweet action I saw from him was retweeting Trump (one I saw was the love it or leave it variety, but I assume there was more retweets).  He did delete his twitter history, so that could be a sign that he's not off the deep end like Sorbo and co. (or he just doesn't want to jeopardize his shot at the NFL).

Tbf, I've also been reading Mill's On Liberty lately and have been troubled by where we draw the line on cancel culture, so that may be weighing on my mind too on top of the feeling I had coming off the game yesterday.  

This is the article I read last night. 

https://medium.com/@briananthony93/a-teachable-moment-for-former-old-dominion-star-taylor-heinicke-4a836998abea

😔

12 minutes ago, clietas said:

Yeah, that was one of the articles I read.  It didn't shed too much light on what was actually said by Heinicke, though I can guess as to the general direction and idea of his position.

FWIW, this was Torrey Smith today.

36 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

So for me, if he is the guy that helps us win more games OK, I can root for the team to do well while he is on it. As soon as the changes I am done with him

TBH, this is where I am at after thinking this through a bit more. There are some other idiots out there.  Nick Bosa for example said some racist stuff in the past.

So let's see how he plays.

Torrey Smith is on to something there.  I know “honest dialogue” can be easier said than done, particularly when people are having dialogue via a tiny keyboard on their phones.

I don’t know if I’ve told this story here before or not but when I was a teenager/young adult, late 90’s/early 2000’s, I went fishing with my uncles.  My uncle John (RIP) lived outside of Baltimore and was going on and on about an altercation he had with some N words.  His words not mine.  

I took him to task on it.  But not in an attack mode type of way.  I just asked him, 

“John, out of curiosity, of all the people who have done you wrong in your life, how many of them were black?”

I then brought up different situations I’d heard him gripe about over the years and how it sounded as if all those folks were white.

”So why is it when you have a problem with some black dudes, they are X.  Yet it sounds like most of the people who have given you the most crap in your life are white people who look like you.”

There was a bit more to it than that but that’s the gist of it.  That kind of deaded the conversation.  No more racial slurs.  

A few years later at my cousins wedding, my uncle John says to my mom outside in front of me: “You raised a smart man there, I can’t tell you how often I think about a conversation he had with me about saying racist stuff and how ignorant it made me sound.  It really helped my change how I look at life”

I had no idea that me talking to him about that had any impact on him whatsoever.  If I would have just called him a redneck racist and started a fight, he probably would have kept saying things like that to his grave.  But turning the tables on him via dialogue changed him.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Torrey Smith is on to something there.  I know “honest dialogue” can be easier said than done, particularly when people are having dialogue via a tiny keyboard on their phones.

I don’t know if I’ve told this story here before or not but when I was a teenager/young adult, late 90’s/early 2000’s, I went fishing with my uncles.  My uncle John (RIP) lived outside of Baltimore and was going on and on about an altercation he had with some N words.  His words not mine.  

I took him to task on it.  But not in an attack mode type of way.  I just asked him, 

“John, out of curiosity, of all the people who have done you wrong in your life, how many of them were black?”

I then brought up different situations I’d heard him gripe about over the years and how it sounded as if all those folks were white.

”So why is it when you have a problem with some black dudes, they are X.  Yet it sounds like most of the people who have given you the most crap in your life are white people who look like you.”

There was a bit more to it than that but that’s the gist of it.  That kind of deaded the conversation.  No more racial slurs.  

A few years later at my cousins wedding, my uncle John says to my mom outside in front of me: “You raised a smart man there, I can’t tell you how often I think about a conversation he had with me about saying racist stuff and how ignorant it made me sound.  It really helped my change how I look at life”

I had no idea that me talking to him about that had any impact on him whatsoever.  If I would have just called him a redneck racist and started a fight, he probably would have kept saying things like that to his grave.  But turning the tables on him via dialogue changed him.

I love this story BFS.  It demonstrates something we will have to learn if we are to move forward: How facts are communicated is just as important as the facts themselves.

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

"(or he just doesn't want to jeopardize his shot at the NFL)" would be the reason IMO.  When people scrub their accounts it's to cover their ass, it's not like they change their opinion overnight.

I'm really struggling with this. I don't generally do this, athletes are for entertainment and their political decisions are their decisions.  But this is different and this climate is different.  

Archived