Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

This is a good article about the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Their HQ is on the newly renamed Arthur Ashe Boulevard in Richmond. I've driven past this building 1000s of times over the past 35 years & never bothered to read about who they are or what they do. Now I know. Disgusting.

Here are 7 things the United Daughters of the Confederacy might not want you to know about them

It’s helpful, in the midst of any conversation about this country’s Confederate monuments, to understand who put these things up, which also offers a clue as to why. In large part, the answer to the first question is the United Daughters of the Confederacy, a white Southern women’s “heritage” group founded in 1894. Starting 30 years after the Civil War, as historian Karen Cox notes in her 2003 book “Dixie’s Daughters,” “UDC members aspired to transform military defeat into a political and cultural victory, where states’ rights and white supremacy remained intact.” In other words, when the Civil War gave them lemons, the UDC made lemonade. Horribly bitter, super racist lemonade.

Though the UDC didn’t invent the Lost Cause ideology, they were deeply involved in spreading the myth, which simultaneously contends the Confederacy wasn’t fighting to keep black people enslaved while also suggesting slavery was pretty good for everyone involved. Lost Causers — plenty of whom exist today, their sheer numbers a reflection of the UDC’s effectiveness — argue that Confederate monuments are just innocent statues; that taking them down erases history; that we cannot retroactively apply today’s ideas about the morality of slavery to the past. The response to those ridiculous cop-outs is that Confederate monuments honor and glorify people who fought to maintain black chattel slavery; that they were erected for the explicit purpose of obfuscating history; and that the immorality of slavery was always understood by the enslaved. Excuses, excuses: get better at them.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/7-things-united-daughters-confederacy-might-not-want-know/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

**** the daughters of the confederacy

drive that "outfit" into the ground

you still-hanging-on closet-confederate mother****ers (heritage my ass) can go lay quietly and patiently under the closest rebel-flag-flying, ego-fluffing, penis-size-compensating pickup until you and whoever owns it work together, however unknowingly, to make the world a better place 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III (named after Jefferson Davis and a  traitor general) is a confederate apologist? Who knew? It's not like he was prevented from a being a federal judge at one time because he was deemed to be too much of a racist **** or anything.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Change the world? Two students start with their neighborhood and find it’s not so neighborly.

Stonewall Manor is an idyllic Northern Virginia suburban neighborhood where residents wave and greet one another as they walk their dogs, where this month’s newsletter has plans for a food drive and the garden club is holding its annual plant sale.

Now? There are insults and icy stares.

Two of its residents came back from college, brought some activism home and found doors slammed in their faces and comments in the neighborhood email thread comparing them to the Taliban.

“We know them. We trick-or-treated at their houses,” Carolina McCabe said. “They were people we used to admire when we were younger. Now they didn’t even want to talk to us.”

Why?

Stonewall Jackson.

McCabe and Neel Simpson, both 20, both with a parent or grandparents who were immigrants, grew up in Stonewall Manor in Vienna. It’s a neighborhood constructed in 1963 that pays homage — from the bas-relief of the bearded Confederate general at its entrance to the street named after his horse — to a man who had zero ties to the area.

They’d started talking to their parents and teachers about the names of their winding streets and verdant cul-de-sacs when they were still in grammar school, after learning about the Civil War in their classes.

“One African American family told me it was always embarrassing to give their address to friends coming over,” McCabe said.

That family lived at the corner of Stonewall Drive and Jackson Parkway.

She learned why that family never liked their address.

And they were both in high school when they learned their skepticism about the whole “Stonewall Manor is preserving history” argument wasn’t unique.

But when they both watched the deadly violence in Charlottesville — the place where Nazis marched with torches three years ago and a white nationalist was convicted of killing a protester with his car — they thought there might be an opportunity to help change the name of their childhood neighborhood.

They spoke with the town elders. Some of them have been trying to get rid of the bas-relief images of Jackson for more than a decade. Some swatted such concerns away and gave them the tired, old story about a 1963 construction that allegedly preserves history.

The pair brought historians and county representatives to their association meetings over the past year.

And they explained how these names and symbols came to Fairfax County when it was still segregated and schools were actively fighting desegregation.

“We even had a descendant of Stonewall Jackson talk,” McCabe said.

One of Jackson’s great-great-grandsons Skyped into a forum last summer to say he doesn’t approve of this kind of worship of his great-great-grandpops.

Still, every so often, a little Confederate flag would sprout among the marigolds beneath Stonewall’s profile. This year, it was placed there on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, McCabe said.

There was discussion but little movement.

Click on the link for the full article

7 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Look three posts up from yours.

-----------------

So Ole Miss is going to relocate a confederate statue, not remove it altogether:

Ole Miss expected to relocate Confederate monument that stands at university entrance: report

The University of Mississippi is expected to relocate the Confederate monument that is erected at its entrance after a Thursday vote, Mississippi Today reported Monday.

The board of trustees of the Institutions of Higher Learning is expected to consider and back Ole Miss's plan to move the Confederate statue from its prominent campus location, several sources close to board members told the news outlet. 

The plan to remove the statue built in 1906 was unanimously backed by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, but the Higher Learning board delayed the plan in January when board member Tommy Duff requested more information about the move.

All board members were appointed by former Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant (R), who is a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Edited by China

On 6/12/2020 at 2:09 PM, Jumbo said:

and sisko, often cast as the on-fire "extreme' hardass re: his general take on these matters, said it more softly and diplomatically, and in important ways,  smarter and more productively, than i sometimes do :) 

Oh dear! I don’t know where anyone ever got that idea from.😇

5 hours ago, China said:

So Ole Miss is going to relocate a confederate statue, not remove it altogether:

Ole Miss expected to relocate Confederate monument that stands at university entrance: report

I’ve long said any top tier football recruit that could go elsewhere is out of his mind to play in the Confederate Conference, i.e. the SEC. In the past few weeks, I’ve hit up a few NFL players on social media saying they should work to encourage top recruits to avoid SEC schools that won’t get rid of their confederate iconography and names. Hopefully it catches on. If it does, we won’t need to worry about the administrations, the DOC or anyone else. The boosters will take care of it for us if they have to go out there and pull that garbage down with their bare hands.

• Like 2

I was going to say... Playing at Ole Miss gotta be a strange feeling these days...

Not only are they named the Runnin' Rebels, they are decked out in the color scheme as well. And of course, Mississippi gonna Mississippi 

Never understood how theyve always been able to get black kids to play at their school

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I was going to say... Playing at Ole Miss gotta be a strange feeling these days...

Not only are they named the Runnin' Rebels, they are decked out in the color scheme as well. And of course, Mississippi gonna Mississippi 

Never understood how theyve always been able to get black kids to play at their school

It’s a combination of brainwashing, poor education, and delusion that those schools actually want them there for anything other than football and to keep the Feds off their backs. My (black) in-laws are big UGA/Alabama fans. I’ve visited my SIL’s hometown in Alabama a few times and it’s amazing how the black folks there are all into the Auburn/Alabama rivalry. All I can do is shake my head. My niece wanted to go to Alabama when she graduated HS and I gave her a raft of (good natured...mostly) 💩 about it. One day I made a comment to her about George Wallace not being happy about her wanting to go there. Her response - “Who’s that?”. I almost stroked out!😡😡 And, yes, I know he changed his stance, I was just trying to make one point to her and ended up making another.

• Like 1

UofSC will vote to request renaming dorm named for gynecologist who experimented on slaves

Days after Clemson University's board of trustees voted to request the state Legislature rename Tillman Hall, University of South Carolina President Bob Caslen announced the UofSC board of trustees will vote on a similar request on June 19. 

The vote will be to request the renaming of Sims Hall, the women's dormitory named after J. Marion Sims, an early pioneer of gynecology who conducted experimental surgery on enslaved women.

In the resolution, the committee details the non-consenting work Sims did on enslaved women, including a 19-year-old woman known as "Anarcha" to make advances in the field of gynecology. 

"Records provide knowledge of his use of at least 11 other enslaved women for medical experimentation... Records also show that some doctors who assisted Sims after being made aware of the inhumane treatment refused to continue working with him. Sims then used enslaved persons to hold down women during surgeries," the resolution reads. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, China said:

The vote will be to request the renaming of Sims Hall, the women's dormitory named after J. Marion Sims, an early pioneer of gynecology who conducted experimental surgery on enslaved women.

"Records provide knowledge of his use of at least 11 other enslaved women for medical experimentation... Records also show that some doctors who assisted Sims after being made aware of the inhumane treatment refused to continue working with him. Sims then used enslaved persons to hold down women during surgeries," the resolution reads. 

It's crazy it takes mass protests for people here to actually contemplate not naming **** after monsters. You don't see the Josef Mengele School of Medicine in Dusseldorf.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

It's crazy it takes mass protests for people here to actually contemplate not naming **** after monsters. You don't see the Josef Mengele School of Medicine in Dusseldorf.

To be fair, how many people in college look at the history of the name of buildings on school or even their dorm. If a university gave a building a name in the 1800s, given the number of buildings, how many professors are even aware. 

I went to JEB Stuart HS back in the day and no one in school ever discussed the guy or what he really did. I was initially opposed to changing it cause I thought about how diverse our school was and still is and that it would almost be a **** you to racist people cause we all got along regardless of race, but I'm happy they changed it. I got myself on the right side of history and we need to change all ****ed up names. 

18 minutes ago, Hersh said:

To be fair, how many people in college look at the history of the name of buildings on school or even their dorm. If a university gave a building a name in the 1800s, given the number of buildings, how many professors are even aware. 

I'd imagine a lot of folks probably have no clue about the name. The problem is this guys exploits been gaining notoriety for a couple years now. I heard about him like 3 years ago. I'm assuming SC has probably been aware longer. Even found an article from like 2006 from another institution. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/2006/01/29/a-19th-century-doctor-38/b7534292-bdce-45f0-b5e0-c01ec647bcc9/?_gl=1*1bvco8m*_ga*YW1wLW9KNVJqbzRIa1ZmYjE5M2xTVURyY0E.&itid=lk_inline_manual_15

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Yeah, Mengele was the first thing I thought of as well. The other good thing about all of this garbage coming down is that it brings their histories back into view for all to know exactly how messed up these people were. Hopefully it makes a lot of people wonder “Now why would someone want to name a building after the US equivalent of Josef Mengele?”🤔🤔

19 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I went to JEB Stuart HS back in the day and no one in school ever discussed the guy or what he really did. I was initially opposed to changing it cause I thought about how diverse our school was and still is and that it would almost be a **** you to racist people cause we all got along regardless of race, but I'm happy they changed it. I got myself on the right side of history and we need to change all ****ed up names. 

All of them?😈😈😈

• Like 1