Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nazis showing up at places uninvited.

No Excuses

22 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Happened to be going back through this thread... isn't the dude on the right (in the lower pic) the guy they arrested for firing his weapon?

I think you're right.   Here's a screen grab:

Screen-Shot-2017-08-28-at-8.46.17-AM.png

Richard Preston, of the Baltimore area.  In an interview two years ago, he described himself as an Imperial Wizard of a Maryland chapter of the Ku Klux Klan.

Here's a photo of him at a Ku Klux Klan rally he organized in Gettysburg, PA in 2013:

ku_klux_klan_rally_blog_07.jpg

Edited by Dan T.

11 hours ago, Bang said:

Has fascism ever been defeated by non-violent means?

~Bang

If it were, would we know it?  

It fascism simply lost at the ballot box, would it be news?  Would we even know that it happened?  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

There probably have been fascist candidates for even our presidency that never gain but a few votes and never make even a ripple. Probably going all the way back to the beginnings of fascism.

And now they are stronger and have killed a woman in Charlottesville. 

Does that mean they were defeated, or just stayed irrelevant for a while til they could feel strong enough to try again?

~Bang

Edited by Bang

I do know one thing for certain: The only thing ignoring them, staying medium and going high when they go low has gotten us is Donald Trump in the White House and the Alt Right Nazi's dominating online culture and now moving it to the streets. "Don't feed the troll" politics is no longer an option. As much as Tina Fey and her cake-eating white privilege might hope otherwise, it just isn't. Some of us actually have something tangible to lose in this fight. 

• Like 1

I love these conversations, I honestly do, and I respect all the heartfelt idealism and compassionate suggestions for alternatives and strategies, but I'm too old for that ****. I just don't have that passionate idealistic ignorance of youth anymore, so rally and protest and make signs and knit hats, I'm enjoying it all. When you really need something blown up call me.

My shero for the day- Becky Knuckles:

41 minutes ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

I do know one thing for certain: The only thing ignoring them, staying medium and going high when they go low has gotten us is Donald Trump in the White House and the Alt Right Nazi's dominating online culture and now moving it to the streets. "Don't feed the troll" politics is no longer an option. As much as Tina Fey and her cake-eating white privilege might hope otherwise, it just isn't. Some of us actually have something tangible to lose in this fight. 

So fighting them in the streets is what got Obama and a democratic congress?  I really don't see the logic in arguing that the lack of fighting in the street is what created Donald Trump.  In fact during Donald Trump's campaign we saw a lot of fighting in the street.  A mob even forced the cancellation of a Trump event in Chicago, and there was footage of fist fights breaking out while the mob essentially took over the building. 

You sure the lesson is that more violence would have prevented Donald Trump?  Maybe it's the opposite and politics aren't won by throwing punches or swinging sticks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rather it was not won by those peacefully protesting Trump and his vileness, but by those intimidating reporters, sending death threats, planning concentration camps, and beating up protesters.

Trump won on the backs of Daily Stormer, Brietbart, Infowars, Russian propaganda, and all the normal people who turned their eyes away and ignored  or just didn't give a damn what he and his rabid racist followers and friends would do to this country.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, visionary said:

Rather it was not won by those peacefully protesting Trump and his vileness, but by those intimidating reporters, sending death threats, planning concentration camps, and beating up protesters.

Trump won on the backs of Daily Stormer, Brietbart, Infowars, Russian propaganda, and all the normal people who turned their eyes away and ignored  or just didn't give a damn what he and his rabid racist followers and friends would do to this country.

There was plenty of left wing violence during the campaign.  Peaceful, that's funny.  Even if we pretend it was Trump supporters that were invading Democratic Party events and instigating violence that still doesn't explain it. A terrible democratic campaign, a rift in the party caused by Sanders, and Trump's manipulation of rating starved media were big.  Russia email hack was big, too.  None of which would have been countered by more democrats punching people in the streets.  

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

There was plenty of left wing violence during the campaign.  Peaceful, that's funny.  Even if we pretend it was Trump supporters that were invading Democratic Party events and instigating violence that still doesn't explain it. A terrible democratic campaign, a rift in the party caused by Sanders, and Trump's manipulation of rating starved media were big.  Russia email hack was big, too.  None of which would have been countered by more democrats punching people in the streets.  

There were certainly Democrats "invading" Trump's events.  (If we assume that it's possible to "invade" an event that's open to the public.)  

Did they show up and attack Trump supporters?  Or did they hold up an anti-Trump sign and get attacked?  That question I suspect is considerably harder to determine.  

Although I suspect that the number of Trump supporters who were threatening violence against reporters, (who were not there provoking violence), and who were deliberately inspired to do so by the campaign itself, might affect which way I'd bet on the matter.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Larry said:

There were certainly Democrats "invading" Trump's events.  (If we assume that it's possible to "invade" an event that's open to the public.)  

Did they show up and attack Trump supporters?  Or did they hold up an anti-Trump sign and get attacked?  That question I suspect is considerably harder to determine.  

Although I suspect that the number of Trump supporters who were threatening violence against reporters, (who were not there provoking violence), and who were deliberately inspired to do so by the campaign itself, might affect which way I'd bet on the matter.  

I'm not saying Trumps goons aren't violent or threatening.  That really shouldn't need to be said of white nationalists, they're all potential terrorists as far as I'm concerned.  It should be assumed of them.  Trump was also the only candidate openly promoting violence.  He's still supporting it by pardoning Arpaio and with his "many sides" response to a terrorist attack.  By encouraging them he's tempting fate.  

But there was plenty of violence, and its kind of puzzling that people have a hard time admitting it.  There's no shortage of video, and it wasn't just the egregious stuff but the property damage and clashes with police outside of many campaign stops.  I don't see how more of the sort of violence we saw then, or Antifa is doing now, would have stopped Trump getting elected.  

We can't punch the Republicans out of office.  We have to vote them out.  

• Like 2

I gotta admit, as awful as the rally was, in terms of violence and hatred, I'm very surprised it wasn't worse.  Maybe I just missed some of the reporting (or what I did see was mistaken), but it seemed like most of the injuries were (relatively) minor.  

My daughter and I stumbled upon a KKK rally in Harpers Ferry, WV 3 years ago. We drove to the guest parking lot only to see a bunch of toothless virgins dressed in white robes with confederate flags. They got a permit and blocked off a huge chunk of the parking lot so they can talk about the "Kenyan Muslim" in the WH or whatever. 

I so badly wanted to pull a Blues Brothers "I hate Illinois Nazis" move and drive right through their safe space. 

I hate Charlottesville Nazis 

Edited by Boss_Hogg
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bang said:

There probably have been fascist candidates for even our presidency that never gain but a few votes and never make even a ripple. Probably going all the way back to the beginnings of fascism.

And now they are stronger and have killed a woman in Charlottesville. 

Does that mean they were defeated, or just stayed irrelevant for a while til they could feel strong enough to try again?

~Bang

you say that like this is all part of some greater fascist master plan.... 

..... instead of a ragtag bunch of loser dingleberry ****roaches.    They persist, yes... but do they progress towards some sort of a plan?  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

you say that like this is all part of some greater fascist master plan.... 

..... instead of a ragtag bunch of loser dingleberry ****roaches.    They persist, yes... but do they progress towards some sort of a plan?  

That's what they've always been. In the 20s and 30s the SA were largely made up of barrelhouse losers, barroom brawlers and unemployable drunks, addicts and other assorted flotsam. Get a few radicals to rally them and they will follow. Give them direction and they will take it, especially if it means someone else is to blame and going to catch hell for what they believe causes their misery.

If there's one thing their last rise taught it's that rag-tag losers make for effective mobs of angry thugs that can empower truly evil people who can then use them to implement a rise to power. As that happens, the goals and master plans can grow to accommodate whatever they want. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang