Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer….Also Leaf Blower Silencers!

PleaseBlitz

10 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

This dude is ridiculous. I like attention as much as the next guy but you don't see me buying Twitter or launching myself into space on a rocket that I built just to get it.

I don't like attention.

I do incredible work behind closed doors, and in front of people - scoff at their compliments.

I think Musk is the man.

If you think this is for attention, no wonder you're stuck at a 1600 elo. -- jk

If it's all for attention, it would be the creepiest **** of all time.

I think he wants to improve the world.

/end

• Like 1

Just when we thought Moore's law might be hitting a ceiling in terms of how fast our computers will get, along comes another complete tech change.  Moore's Law will live again, even if the current version understates the potential rate of change.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 6:01 AM, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I don't like attention.

I do incredible work behind closed doors, and in front of people - scoff at their compliments.

I think Musk is the man.

If you think this is for attention, no wonder you're stuck at a 1600 elo. -- jk

If it's all for attention, it would be the creepiest **** of all time.

I think he wants to improve the world.

/end

I'm pretty apathetic towards Musk.  I don't own a Tesla, probably never will.  I'm not interested in hopping in a rocket ship and going to outer space...you know, until they get the kinks out, a few of them blow up, we lose some civilians, but hey, they signed waivers... I cruise Twitter every day but by and large I think it's a plague on society and we'd be better off without it. 

But I will say, I think a lot (not all) of the people who rail against him and are hypercritical are just straight up jealous. Jealous that they're stuck where they are in life, jealous that they didn't take a risk or an opportunity that could have made them happier than they are now.  The greatest pain that some people are going to feel is their own unfulfilled potential and they can't stand seeing others maximize theirs.  

It used that someone like him would be congratulated and admired for, literally, reaching for the stars.  Trying to do some big, epic ****, trying to push boundaries of what was thought to be possible.  And I'm not talking about his money, this isn't about that, although some can't see past that.  But it's just much easier for some (again, not all) to choose comfort, to choose to operate at less of their potential and make fun of the guy or criticize the guy that went for it instead of tipping their hat.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It used that someone like him would be congratulated and admired for, literally, reaching for the stars.  Trying to do some big, epic ****, trying to push boundaries of what was thought to be possible. 

It's possible to separate his accomplishments from who he appears to be as a person.  I can say what he's done is impressive, yet still think he's primarily a douchebag of epic proportion.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's possible to separate his accomplishments from who he appears to be as a person.  I can say what he's done is impressive, yet still think he's primarily a douchebag of epic proportion.

That's fair enough, as I said I don't really care too much about him one way or another.  

3 hours ago, LD0506 said:

So diodes?

46 minutes ago, China said:

Why are you still talking about Musk in this thread?  Can you not read the title? Do you not know there's another thread specifically to discuss him?

Unless he does some super cool science thing ;) which is his usual state. 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I read the article. If they generate no heat why do they want to cool them with liquid nitrogen?

The quantum mechanical properties of the Josephson Junction previously have required significantly lower temperatures than liquid nitrogen.

Here is an article that gives an overview of Josephson Junctions and superconductivity physics: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-are-josephson-juncti/

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm pretty apathetic towards Musk.  I don't own a Tesla, probably never will.  I'm not interested in hopping in a rocket ship and going to outer space...you know, until they get the kinks out, a few of them blow up, we lose some civilians, but hey, they signed waivers... I cruise Twitter every day but by and large I think it's a plague on society and we'd be better off without it. 

But I will say, I think a lot (not all) of the people who rail against him and are hypercritical are just straight up jealous. Jealous that they're stuck where they are in life, jealous that they didn't take a risk or an opportunity that could have made them happier than they are now.  The greatest pain that some people are going to feel is their own unfulfilled potential and they can't stand seeing others maximize theirs.  

It used that someone like him would be congratulated and admired for, literally, reaching for the stars.  Trying to do some big, epic ****, trying to push boundaries of what was thought to be possible.  And I'm not talking about his money, this isn't about that, although some can't see past that.  But it's just much easier for some (again, not all) to choose comfort, to choose to operate at less of their potential and make fun of the guy or criticize the guy that went for it instead of tipping their hat.  

This is a deep psychoanalysis I think is a hard pill to swallow for the chronic, zombie-like haters.  Worth the read, everybody.

I think the world needs as much shaking-up as I can remember in my lifetime...right now.

I love this move and look forward to what else Musk does.

Hey, he's not mugging people at gunpoint and getting let out to walk the streets by the DA.

Y'all give a **** about that?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/06/08/cancer-drug-trial/

Small cancer drug trial sees tumors disappear in 100 percent of patients

A small drug trial is having a seismic impact in the world of oncology: After six months of an experimental treatment, tumors vanished in all 14 patients diagnosed with early stage rectal cancer who completed the study by the time it was published.

Researchers in the field of colorectal cancer are hailing the study, published Sunday in the New England Journal of Medicine, as a groundbreaking development that could lead to new treatments for other cancers as well.

“I don’t think anyone has seen this before, where every single patient has had the tumor disappear,” said Andrea Cercek, an oncologist with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York and lead author of the study.

The patients all shared the same genetic instability in their rectal cancer and had not yet undergone treatment. Each was given nine doses of intravenous dostarlimab, a relatively new drug designed to block a specific cancer cell protein that, when expressed, can cause the immune system to withhold its cancer-fighting response.

After six months, scans that once showed knotty, discolored tumors instead revealed smooth, pink tissue. No traces of cancer were detected in scans, biopsies or physical exams.

“All 14 patients? The odds are exceedingly low and really unheard of in oncology,” Cercek said.

The results were so successful that none of the 14 patients who completed the trial needed the planned follow-up treatment of chemo-radiation or surgery, nor did any have significant complications from the drug. Four other patients in the trial are still undergoing treatment but thus far are showing the same promising results.

• PleaseBlitz changed the title to Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer

Everything still points to being decades away from cures for most types of cancer.

But already, if you catch it early your chances of survival are way, way higher. Don’t skip those checkups.

Getting wearable devices for some diagnostics or better home test kits would also be huge.

• Like 2

Yea, every cancer is different, and will take time to see how applicable attacking that protein is to other cancers.

But it's a clear sign we are heading in the right direction and there could be a huge leap soon.

Uplifting news, for sure : )

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Also, 14 patients is a very small sample size.  They will have to see what side effects there may be in larger trials.

I mean sure, but 14 for 14 is promising, and what side effect would you not tolerate when the alternative is a rectal tumor?