Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fun with Nest Thermostats and other unprotected wifi devices

daveakl

Just now, Fresh8686 said:

How about we not and instead be mature adults who check to make sure that what's funny to us isn't an offense, burden, or violation of their domain to somebody else. 

This is immature asshole **** in my opinion. You have to have a certain relationship with people to play like this, because if you don't then it's not playing to them. 

Come on, This is how you build relationships with people. Like later in the summer at a BBQ he casually has a conversation with his neighbor and is like "remember that week that your AC kept dropping to 55 at night? That was me" and they share a laugh and a drink and a bond is forged. Doesn't sound like you've been adulting long.. 

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Come on, This is how you build relationships with people. Like later in the summer at a BBQ he casually has a conversation with his neighbor and is like "remember that week that your AC kept dropping to 55 at night? That was me" and they share a laugh and a drink and a bond is forged. Doesn't sound like you've been adulting long.. 

You can think what you want and describe it how you want, but for me, that's a violation of my boundaries. I respect people's space and home and I don't "play" like that. You can have fun and build relationships without ****ing with people. 

People have different standards and ways of relating and we can learn to check and calibrate before doing stuff like this. That, is being a mature adult. 

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think it would be good for the forum if dave got a special label under his username like some other members have received.  I'm thinking something like Fabulist.  Or Pinocchio.

"Played out joke from 2005" maybe?  Or "Yawn" :)

My wifi network is "The Jerkstore Called", in reference to Seinfeld.  I'm wondering if my neighbors don't get the joke and think I'm just some douchebag.  I mean... I am just some douchebag, but I'd rather they figure it out based on personal experience.

In addition to being a douchebag, you're committing a rather serious crime.

Courts have ruled that unauthorized access to devices includes accessing devices you know you're not supposed to be in, but got in anyway because security on said device is lacking.

Which you're now bragging about on the internet.

Good job, all the way around.

20 minutes ago, Springfield said:

My wifi network is "The Jerkstore Called", in reference to Seinfeld.  I'm wondering if my neighbors don't get the joke and think I'm just some douchebag.  I mean... I am just some douchebag, but I'd rather they figure it out based on personal experience.

If i was your neighbor i would totally make mine "Theyre running out of you!"

8 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Ah, the internet of things.  Yet another security breach introduced into our lives.

It's nuts how the bigger attacks these days are done ddos via... home cameras, TV's, refrigerators, etc.

I just turn upnp off. Not worth it.

My favorite commercials right now are the 'smart locks' :rofl89:

Yeah that's what I want, your not updated, insecure, written by idiots software controlling whether my door is locked or not.

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

If i was your neighbor i would totally make mine "Theyre running out of you!"

I wish I lived in a fun neighborhood. All ours are their router model with random numbers.

So I just made mine Comcast Sucks

Because they do suck. Since they are the only provider I have little recourse. Oh well.

You're being much to overt with your shenanigans.  Like others have said, that's immature and you should feel bad about yourself. 

Adults know that really screwing with people requires a lighter touch.  Try changing things just enough to make people wonder if they're losing their grip on reality. 

7 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

When I buy a house, I'd love to pull ethernet cable throughout the house and not need Wifi.

I did that in my first apartment when I was messing with cisco equipment, used those stereo hook thumbtacks.  Go for it.

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I'm gonna be that recluse in the woods (what's left of them, anyways) living off the grid that will be the subject of urban legends.  Yet inside my reclusive hovel, it'll be filled with all sorts of high tech gadgetry; just not the the privacy-invading kind that's all the rage these days.

There's a lot of country out there, I like to think we won't mess it up so bad there will be nowhere to fish, ya know?

10 hours ago, daveakl said:

Anyone else playing with other people's wifi devices? 

I'm interested in the Jeep vehicles that could have their breaks activate remotely.  I may end up with an older car or keep the one I have long as I can, not feeling the whole "stopping automatically" thing. What if I'm up against a minotaur in the middle of the street and try to run him over, car saving me actually gets me killed.  That's counter productive.

33 minutes ago, Destino said:

Adults know that really screwing with people requires a lighter touch.  Try changing things just enough to make people wonder if they're losing their grip on reality.

Oh, I'm doing that to two families.  

With 1 I have changed their alarm by 1 minute each day when they wake up.  Some days I go forward 1 minute, others back 1 minute.  But always 1 minute.

With the other I always turn their living room light on at 8:03pm.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I wish I lived in a fun neighborhood. All ours are their router model with random numbers.

So I just made mine Comcast Sucks

Because they do suck. Since they are the only provider I have little recourse. Oh well.

A few of my neighbors are at least trying.  One of them is "Currently unavailable", and another is "I'm a vegan".

Mine is currently generic, but that's because I'm still on a temporary router until I can find my router of the future.  I haven't yet thought about what I want to name it.

15 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

When I buy a house, I'd love to pull ethernet cable throughout the house and not need Wifi.

I did this about six months ago. I still have wifi, but not for anything important. I'll eventually get to access points, one for the family and the other for my other stuff, and put everything behind those two. I already the Cisco I want to use, haven't bought the Sonicwall yet though. 

9 hours ago, tshile said:

In addition to being a douchebag, you're committing a rather serious crime.

Courts have ruled that unauthorized access to devices includes accessing devices you know you're not supposed to be in, but got in anyway because security on said device is lacking.

Which you're now bragging about on the internet.

Good job, all the way around.

I honestly think he's making this whole thing up just to get a reaction out of everyone. I can't see a grown man acting like a teenaged script kiddie around his neighborhood and not think about the repercussions of such actions. 

Archived