Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever smoked Weed before???

Renegade7

Have you ever smoked Weed before??? Do you still?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever smoked weed before???

• Yes, and I liked it
    • Yes, but I didn't like it
    • No, but I'm open to trying it at some point
    • No, and I'm never going to

The Unintended Consequences of Ever-Increasing Marijuana Potency

The trend of cannabis legalization in the United States has not only vastly increased access to the drug, but it has also resulted in substantial increases in potency. The competition between products in this new market has accelerated an existing trend toward increased THC levels in these products. 

One study showed roughly a doubling in the potency of cannabis plants (from 8.9% to 17.1%) between 2008 and 2017. Another factor that can influence the perceived potency of different cannabis strains is the ratio of THC to CBD. CBD can temper or reduce the effects of THC (while independently having its own biological impact), and over the same 2008 to 2017 period the THC:CBD ratio quadrupled from 23 to 104. 

A further complication of this story is the recent discovery of a new cannabinoid in marijuana, THCP, approximately 33 times more potent as THC. This molecule has been implicated in some of the apparent differences between cannabis strains with similar THC levels, and now there is the potential with its discovery for breeding far more potent plants.

These factors have led to some government efforts to regulate the potency of cannabis products. Vermont is the only state so far that has an upper cap on THC levels in flower product of 30%, and concentrates are capped at 60%. It has also been debated on the nation level whether federal agency should impose limits on cannabis potency.

Part of the motivation behind limited THC levels in cannabis is some of the downstream costs to society from high potency cannabis. The number of ER visits associated with cannabis has risen steeply over recent years. There were over 1.5 million estimated ER visits associated with cannabis in 2017, approximately 1% of all ER visits that year, and it was growing at an average rate of 13% per year. 

Click on the link for the full article

I recently tried some in chocolate candy to help with my MS head-aches.  It did help, and more it helped the tightness in my legs.  I took only the smallest dosage, and it has worked twice.  I will probably use again, but only before bed when I know it is OK for me to sleep in if needed.  Still, getting a card to get more in the future is on my list of topics for my next neuro appointment. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

When it comes to cannabis and it's potency, it still will always come down to how faded the individual wants to get.  When I indulge, the amount I use is specific to the situation I am in.  If I am out disc golfing or doing something active I know I am only going to take a few hits because I need to be able to function at a fairly high level.  I just want a couple tokes to take the edge off.   If I am home on a Friday  night after work, kids in bed, not going anywhere, I will get more faded.   The potency of the product merely means I either take less or more.  It's not like I am constantly fooled by the product.   With it being legal now it is very easy to just ask questions at the dispensary, most of the employees are very knowledgeable and helpful and are happy to help you find something that suits your individual situation.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Regulating potency by thc % is so ignorant. More often than not the best and most heavy hitting strains are in the low 20’s and it’s the entourage effect of everything blending together with personal chemistry that gets you stuck. Plus, thc % varies from cola to cola on the same damn plant, let alone from one phenotype to the next of the same strain. 

Anyways, my girls are finally starting their first day of flower. It’s a freaking jungle in the grow tent right now. My nana glue is already 3 feet tall and if it doubles in height these first two weeks she’s gonna end up pressing against the light. All my plants were already showing their terp characteristics in Veg so it’s gonna get super fragrant soon and my nana glue is going to be extremely resinous. When I do a stem rub on her my fingers stick together and come out smelling like gassy chocolate and dank chlorophyll. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Yeah trying to regulate THC content as if it's an easily measurable and consistent thing like proofs in alcohol is dumb. How would they even enforce it anyway? Like @Fresh8686noted, it not only can vary from plant to plant, but even from cola to cola. Are they going to go around and test every single bud? Just take a sample of one and assume it represents the whole?

That being said, I remember talking to an older guy I work with not long ago about this topic and he mentioned that he used to smoke a fair amount back in the 60s and 70s and said when he tried it again more recently it was basically like doing a completely different drug because the potency was so much higher. The first time he tried again recently he made the mistake of smoking around the same amount as he did when he was younger and instead of being chilled out, relaxed, and having fun, he was basically completely couch locked and didn't enjoy it.

Like @NoCalMikesaid, you really just have to know your limits and how it affects you and then be judicious about how much you smoke because there definitely are some crazy potent strains out there. The good thing about it being legal now is that you can know what you're getting into and grow/get something you think is up your alley. I'm personally more of an indica guy and it's been a while since I smoked much so I wanted something middle of the road and decided on growing a couple of Northern Lights plants and see how it goes.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I just ordered some Delta 8. Ive been using CBD for awhile now, but have used actual marijuana in 20 years. Any idea of what to expect?

No idea I bought some Delta 8 gummies and they are sitting in my drawer next to my THC gummies that I haven’t tried yet either. I’ve heard that you do feel a manageable buzz with Delta 8.

• Thumb up 1

Been using Delta 8 for the past few months. Mainly carts n gummies. It's definitely stoney. Helps with my anxiety for sure. Better than any prescription meds honestly. Goes well with good ol fashion THC too.

Delta 10 gummies are great as well. I haven't seen any carts tho. Gurl at one of the stores says its a similar high to cannabis. 

Edited by clietas
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, clietas said:

Been using Delta 8 for the past few months. Mainly carts n gummies. It's definitely stoney. Helps with my anxiety for sure. Better than any prescription meds honestly. Goes well with good ol fashion THC too.

Delta 10 gummies are great as well. I haven't seen any carts tho. Gurl at one of the stores says its a similar high to cannabis. 

That's what my buddy says, he loves it.  I'm good with my CBD gummies.  They're awesome. 

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So what’s the best way to consume flower that isn’t so harsh on the throat, lungs?

I have a small bowl, but I was wondering if they make vapes that heat flower that are convenient, bongs and bubblers are too much work.

https://www.storz-bickel.com/en-us/

These Germans make some of the best all round vaporizers. I think they're the best I've used for flower.

10 hours ago, clietas said:

https://www.storz-bickel.com/en-us/

These Germans make some of the best all round vaporizers. I think they're the best I've used for flower.

We bought one & used it a few times...I haven't found it yet, but it's always in the back of my mind as something I'm searching for...only have half of a room left to go, let's keep hope!  

Smoking marijuana could lead to breakthrough COVID cases, study finds

Heavy marijuana users who are also vaccinated may be more susceptible to breakthrough cases of COVID-19, a new study found.

The study, published last Tuesday in World Psychology, found that those with a substance use disorder (SUD) — a dependence on marijuana, alcohol, cocaine, opioids and tobacco — were more likely to contract the coronavirus after receiving both of their vaccination shots.

Those without an SUD saw a 3.6 percent rate of breakthrough infections, compared to a 7 percent rate in those with an SUD.

At 7.8 percent, those with marijuana use disorder were most at risk for breakthrough infections, the study found.

Among other substances, the risk disappeared when considering issues such as underlying health conditions and socioeconomic status.

The difference has not been linked directly to marijuana use but could be linked to the behavior of those dependent on marijuana.

“Patients with cannabis use disorder, who were younger and had less comorbidities than the other SUD subtypes, had higher risk for breakthrough infection even after they were matched for adverse socioeconomic determinants of health and comorbid medical conditions with non-SUD patients,” the researchers wrote.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 2

So here are my Northern Lights autos 7 days in. (Yes I know @Fresh8686isn't a huge fan of autos but I figured I'd give them a shot for a first grow).

I have a 4x2 tent and was just going to grow the 2 in the 5 gallon pots. I decided to try germinating 3 seeds in case 1 of them didn't come through. The first two sprouted tap roots fast so I decided to keep them and throw the last one away (it had just barely cracked so it was the odd-girl-out).

Then on a whim I pulled the still sort of wet paper towels I had discarded with the seed in it out of the trash the next day and lo-and-behold, that third little ****er had gone YOLO and just kept going and had a nice tap root.

I figured since it went HAM and essentially gave the world the finger, it deserved a chance so I grabbed a smaller 2 gallon and put it in there and decided to name her Drummer after the character from The Expanse, because Drummer is an absolute badass and just cannot be killed.

Then I decided to give the others names of Expanse characters (Drummer, Naomi, Bobbie) since in VA you have to label them with your name, etc anyway...so figured I might as well also just give them names. Also because I'm a huge nerd.

5fEqpn.jpg

5fEzB4.jpg

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I'm also amazed at how I've found an online community that's almost as divided on things as a football one.   :ols:

"Water seedlings daily"

"Don't water them daily"

"Just spray the top"

"Moisten the soil around them"

"70% humidity for seedlings"

"70% is too high"

"You're obviously overwatering"

"You're obviously underwatering"

"Coco coir"

"No coco, super soil"

"Ocean Forest is too hot"

"Ocean Forest is not too hot"

"Nutes"

"No nutes"
"Cal mag"

"No Cal mag"

"Use distilled water"

"Use tap water"

"Why are you guys making this so complicated?"

"Why are you guys trying to make this so simplistic?"

pantim-dog-in-circles.gif

• Haha 3

I think getting Florida to legalize marijuana would actually be really easy right now. Just convince them that some obscure, non-mainstream studies have shown it to be a potential miracle cure for COVID-19, but the pharmaceutical industry (along with the Deep State) are doing everything they can to keep this life saving information from getting to the public.

They'd legalize it within a month.

On 10/14/2021 at 11:14 AM, mistertim said:

I'm also amazed at how I've found an online community that's almost as divided on things as a football one.   :ols:

"Water seedlings daily"

"Don't water them daily"

"Just spray the top"

"Moisten the soil around them"

"70% humidity for seedlings"

"70% is too high"

"You're obviously overwatering"

"You're obviously underwatering"

"Coco coir"

"No coco, super soil"

"Ocean Forest is too hot"

"Ocean Forest is not too hot"

"Nutes"

"No nutes"
"Cal mag"

"No Cal mag"

"Use distilled water"

"Use tap water"

"Why are you guys making this so complicated?"

"Why are you guys trying to make this so simplistic?"

pantim-dog-in-circles.gif

That’s why I can’t bring myself to grow. I’m just a pleasure smoker.

And money I save will be exceeded by the amount of time and energy I spent learning the art and science (of literally everything).

I like my TV. I use it for enjoyment. I don’t need to build and/or repair it. If that’s someone’s passion, cheers mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

That’s why I can’t bring myself to grow. I’m just a pleasure smoker.

And money I save will be exceeded by the amount of time and energy I spent learning the art and science (of literally everything).

I like my TV. I use it for enjoyment. I don’t need to build and/or repair it. If that’s someone’s passion, cheers mate. 

Yeah I get that.

Though honestly it really is something that you don't have to spend a ton of time on. Yes there are forums and youtube videos absolutely jam packed with craploads of micromanaging opinions and information, but that's how it is with any hobby. I've personally gotten more into the nitty gritty and doing a full tent setup because I find it interesting and fun, but it's not necessary.

There are really only a few main things you need to know and try to get into the right general ranges and you'll be fine. Cannabis is a pretty hardy plant.

There are plenty of people who just grow weed on their windowsills and treat them like any other potted plant they own.

how-to-grow-cannabis-on-windowsill-jpg.7693

Are you going to maximize your yields and get the same amount and quality of buds that way as you would with a full grow tent set up with all of the variables well controlled? Probably not, but as long as you have good genetics you'll still get some good smokeable product, which is all most casual growers care about.

• Like 2