Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

On 1/24/2023 at 4:39 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Lying? No problem. Ponzi schemes? Forget about it. Campaign finance violations? Which committee appointment do you want?

Wait, you wore a dress and heels a few times??!!

On 1/24/2023 at 8:25 PM, China said:

RNC to consider resolution condemning Kanye West, Fuentes and antisemitism writ large

“I want to create a standard for all political parties in America, that we don’t tolerate bigotry, and in this particular case, antisemitism,” Steel said.

The resolution, if adopted, would “formally condemn, denounce, censure and oppose all forms of bigotry, racism, ethnic prejudice, religious intolerance, antisemitism, antisemitic statements, and any antisemitic elements that seek to infiltrate the Republican Party,” according to a copy of the document obtained by POLITICO.

Click on the link for the full article

Politico is slipping. They didn't get the full quote. They left off the "wink, wink" at the end.

34 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

understood and don’t disagree.   That was the reason for the preface.  I was trying to come up w a fairly “normal” R that could be the answer to “how does it get fixed”.   Bigger problem for the party is that it needs to feel some inclination that it’s broken.  No sign of that at all when it’s go to is to double down on stupid.

I’m not sure the ruling class as I was thinking of it is the voters per se.  I tend to think of the voters as the lapdogs of the party ruling class.  That’s probably an indictment of both.

Y'know what? I don't believe that's the answer, there's no way for a rational R is herd them back from the brink.

As hard as it might be to accept, we may actually be watching the death of a political party, it has happened before. 

Amusing, the Know-Nothings came up in conversation the other day and I Googled them to update/refresh my memory, they were actually saner and had better planks than the current Rs. Don't misunderstand, they were bat**** crazy for their day but they weren't this type of Arkham Asylum lunatic crazy that we're witnessing now.

• Like 1

Most of the predictions (based on polling with thr 168 voters who will decide) is saying Ronna will remain chair.  This is going to piss off the GOP "influencers" and "rank and file". 

There are a lot of angry GOP people out there... I think they should split off and form the Dumb, Angry, Racist party....

Most of the predictions (based on polling with thr 168 voters who will decide) is saying Ronna will remain chair.  This is going to piss off the GOP "influencers" and "rank and file". 

There are a lot of angry GOP people out there... I think they should split off and form the Dumb, Angry, Racist party....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Ronna is becoming the human version of trickle down economics. Never ever works, but they keep doing it. 

3 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

understood and don’t disagree.   That was the reason for the preface.  I was trying to come up w a fairly “normal” R that could be the answer to “how does it get fixed”.   Bigger problem for the party is that it needs to feel some inclination that it’s broken.  No sign of that at all when it’s go to is to double down on stupid.

I’m not sure the ruling class as I was thinking of it is the voters per se.  I tend to think of the voters as the lapdogs of the party ruling class.  That’s probably an indictment of both.

Personally he is still not the kind of politician I would like to see the Right go with. He would however be a hell of an improvement. Probably would be good for them when all is said and done. Though I find it hard to forget he made a show of voting for a dead politician in the last presidential election. To me it only said that I'm above Trumpism, but not far enough above it to stop with the silly games when I should be leading and showing people that politics isn't all that matters. And I think the silly political games are exactly what got them where they are as a party. I need a political right that I could vote for. And I don't think he gets them there because he would still play in the political ****, if you will. 

Still, he would be an improvement. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Personally he is still not the kind of politician I would like to see the Right go with. He would however be a hell of an improvement. Probably would be good for them when all is said and done. Though I find it hard to forget he made a show of voting for a dead politician in the last presidential election. To me it only said that I'm above Trumpism, but not far enough above it to stop with the silly games when I should be leading and showing people that politics isn't all that matters. And I think the silly political games are exactly what got them where they are as a party. I need a political right that I could vote for. And I don't think he gets them there because he would still play in the political ****, if you will. 

Still, he would be an improvement. 

They don't need (or deserve) improvements

They need change, serious change

Gotta demo before you rebuild

Just now, LD0506 said:

They don't need (or deserve) improvements

They need change, serious change

Gotta demo before you rebuild

Yea I was just quoting your other post. I agree with this 100% 

The party burning to the ground may ultimately be what's best for them (them not being conservatives, really, but people that want another option other than what the Dems provide). I worry they will burn the country down around them a little though. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Why are you all talking like it is a party that didn't win more votes for the House in November?  

You mean with the extreme gerrymandered districts out the wazoo, an off year election for the party not in the WH, and they barely took the House? That party? I think popular vote totals in Presidential elections provide a more realistic picture of where most of the country is politically. If it weren't for the EC, the Grand Oligarch’s Party probably wouldn't even sniff the WH in the future. I'm on record as saying DeathSantis will win the next one, but it will likely be without a popular vote majority against a guy who has no business running for POTUS again.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The Sisko said:

You mean with the extreme gerrymandered districts out the wazoo, an off year election for the party not in the WH, and they barely took the House? That party? I think popular vote totals in Presidential elections provide a more realistic picture of where most of the country is politically. If it weren't for the EC, the Grand Oligarch’s Party probably wouldn't even sniff the WH in the future. I'm on record as saying DeathSantis will win the next one, but it will likely be without a popular vote majority against a guy who has no business running for POTUS again.

Just about anyone not Trump should win in 24 over Joe and even Trump is beating him right now.

Way to early to proclaim Ron the nominee. Let’s see if he plays elsewhere and also, he’s got to beat Trumps. You want the 24 gop nomination; then you have to win the maga vote from Trump.

Also, how will they deal with the inevitable violence against them? Maga not going to take to kindly to anyone deny their leader.

27 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Just about anyone not Trump should win in 24 over Joe and even Trump is beating him right now.

Way to early to proclaim Ron the nominee. Let’s see if he plays elsewhere and also, he’s got to beat Trumps. You want the 24 gop nomination; then you have to win the maga vote from Trump.

Also, how will they deal with the inevitable violence against them? Maga not going to take to kindly to anyone deny their leader.

Actually, that's our one hope. If the race between DeathSantis and Tя☭mp goes all toxic, it would be a thing of beauty to see DeathSantis get the nom while Tя☭mp whines to his base to stay home due to the race being fixed and back room deals by RINOS. However, given the generally calm, humble nature, and absence of ego of these two, it's a long shot at best. I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Specter of 2016

McGonigal, Trump, and the Truth about America

We are on the edge of a spy scandal with major implications for how we understand the Trump administration, our national security, and ourselves.

https://snyder.substack.com/p/the-specter-of-2016?r=f9j4c

The whole article is informative and actually an easy read. A few snippets:

On 23 January, we learned that a former FBI special agent, Charles McGonigal, was arrested on charges involving taking money to serve foreign interests.  One accusation is that in 2017 he took $225,000 from a foreign actor while in charge of counterintelligence at the FBI's New York office.  Another charge is that McGonigal took money from Oleg Deripaska, a sanctioned Russian oligarch, after McGonigal’s 2018 retirement from the FBI.  Deripaska, a hugely wealthy metals tycoon close to the Kremlin, "Putin's favorite industrialist," was a figure in a Russian influence operation that McGonigal had investigated in 2016.  Deripaska has been under American sanctions since 2018.  Deripaska is also the former employer, and the creditor, of Trump's 2016 campaign manager, Paul Manafort.

[...]For me personally, McGonigal's arrest brought back an unsettling memory.  In 2016, McGonigal was in charge of cyber counter-intelligence for the FBI, and was put in charge of counterintelligence at the FBI's New York office.  That April, I broke the story of the connection between Trump's campaign and Putin's regime, on the basis of Russian open sources.  At the time, almost no one wanted to take this connection seriously.  American journalists wanted an American source, but the people who had experienced similar Russian operations were in Russia, Ukraine, or Estonia.  Too few people took Trump seriously; too few people took Russia seriously; too few people took cyber seriously; the Venn diagram overlap of people who took all three seriously felt very small. 

[...]The reason I was thinking about Trump and Putin back in 2016 was a pattern that I had noticed in eastern Europe, which is my area of expertise.  Between 2010 and 2013, Russia sought to control Ukraine using the same methods which were on display in 2016 in its influence operation in the United States: social media, money, and a pliable candidate for head of state.  When that failed, Russia had invaded Ukraine, under the cover of some very successful influence operations.  (If you find that you do not remember the Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2014, it is very possibly because you were caught in the froth of Russian propaganda, spread through the internet, targeted to vulnerabilities.)  The success of that propaganda encouraged Russia to intervene in the United States, using the same methods and institutions.  This is what I was working on in 2016, when a similar operation was clearly underway in the United States.

To this observer of Ukraine, it was apparent that Russia was backing Trump in much the way that it had once backed Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych, in the hopes of soft control.  Trump and Yanukovych were similar figures: nihilistic, venal, seeking power to make or shield money.  This made them vulnerably eager partners for Putin.  And they had the same chief advisor: the American political consultant Paul Manafort.