Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

55 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I might agree with this point if all government assistance was only supposed to be temporary. Ok, well perhaps that was its original intent, but when you have people that can work 50 hours a week or 2 jobs and still be below the income threshold because of that system (an entirely different conversation) then it’s unrealistic and heartless to think they need to “get back on their feet” or be a productive member of society. 

are you specifically saying the unemployment category of aid should be limited?  I thought  this started over SNAP/food stamps which are based on income and not unemployment pay which, granted, is to help people “get back on their feet.”

Well look. I prefaced this with

- this is very low on list of things that matter

- we probably spend a disproportionate amount of time talking about, compared the object waste that actually exists 

- I’m really not interested in being an asshole, and as such I have no idea how or where you draw a line

but fundamentally I believe people are mostly the product of their decision making, and that while there are people that are victims of circumstance they are the minority. And honestly if you could identify those people I’d pay higher taxes to give them 3x the support they’re getting when favorable policies are in place for them. 

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to feel that if someone requires government assistance just to live a basic life, there can be restrictions on what they buy 

and I was really just pushing against the narrative that people who believe that just hate poor people. Or want to somehow just make them feel ****ty about themselves. 

if I had my way the gop’s ideas would be so heavy on what’s healthy and what’s not waste that it would be irrefutable. I find it frustrating they produce bills that seem to target people instead of try to be productive. 

i’d prefer we set up a national child care program for any household under 150k. Cause it’s stupid expensive but necessary and it’s a huge burden no matter how much you make. 

• Thumb up 1

I don't grasp the mindset that the root of poverty is laziness.

Any government program aimed at helping those in poverty should never have a foundation of "We're gonna give you the bare minimum, because if we allow you to have more than the minimum you're not gonna want to work." It's an idiotic stance to take and shows no understanding of poverty whatsoever. Open up a Walmart in the dead center of a neighborhood with a huge percentage on welfare, and there will be a line around the block of people applying for jobs. "They don't want to get off welfare" is a delusional fever dream in the heads of some...but that's all it is.

There should be a way to allocate different amounts from SNAP/EBT to different purchases...like, if you have a child, 50% of the total amount must be spent on certain items, or something along those lines. If you have no children, spend it on whatever ****ing groceries you want. That's really the only restriction I'd care about, don't want people who have kids and are on welfare letting their kids go hungry each month so that they can by lobster tail. But if you don't have kids I don't give a flying ****. Maybe instead of SNAP the government should have a grocery delivery system in place and buy the groceries for everyone..like a Dharma Initiative food drop from "Lost" lol...

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I don't grasp the mindset that the root of poverty is laziness

For me

its about going through life and what you see when you interact with people that make low wages. 

liberals pitch this idea that everyone’s a hardworking honest person, and I’m sorry but that’s just not what I see in my day to day life. 

I see a lot of lazy people and I see situations where their situation is the product of their decisions. 

37 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

The people that gutted the tax bases by off-shoring jobs and repatriating the profits to buy politicians to lower their tax rates **** about a poor guy getting a decent meal.........ok, totally makes sense 

I am a proponent of a wealth tax, that’s tied specifically to the wealth gap

and I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time ****ing about the economic philosophies that chase the lowest price for widgets, and ignore how it has destroyed major areas and created a poverty crisis we don’t begin to address correctly 

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

liberals pitch this idea that everyone’s a hardworking honest person, and I’m sorry but that’s just not what I see in my day to day life. 

Meanwhile anyone who isn't a conservative is a lazy free loading communist. 

image.png.960aa8a28d434701c22525c98e11bb35.png

For the record I think most Americans are dishonest and lazy. 🤣

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Bad solutions or best they can do under the circumstances? Passing legislation that actually helps people historically ain't been easy. 🤷‍♂️

both. I think I try to be fair in figuring out which is which. 

48 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

"Good intelligent people" who still cling to the republican brand (arguably valid policy beliefs notwithstanding) should no longer qualify as "good people" though they still may be intelligent.

16 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Big Tobacco figures the GOP base has hit the stupidity threshold where it’s safe to give their propagandists a lot of money to do “liberals hate cigarettes so they must be good” commercials. They’re also too stupid to remember that Donald Trump shut down the gyms and everything else.

• Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

"Good intelligent people" who still cling to the republican brand (arguably valid policy beliefs notwithstanding) should no longer qualify as "good people" though they still may be intelligent.

I would assert that it is impossible to support the Republican Party and be both.  One or the other?  I could see.  Maybe.