Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Why the Republican Party Just Can’t Quit Trump

The results of the 2022 midterms have not been good news for Donald Trump or the Republican Party. When the final loss came in last week — the defeat of Trump favorite Herschel Walker in Georgia’s Senate runoff — the intraparty recriminations began immediately.

Rep. Lee Zeldin of New York, the GOP candidate who lost his race for New York governor, said “change is desperately needed.” Laura Ingraham, the Fox News host, said she was “pissed.”

“We don’t change anything,” Ingraham said. “We just keep doing the same thing over and over again.”

The knives were especially out for Ronna McDaniel, the current Republican National Committee chair, a Trump uber-loyalist who has announced that she’s running again for the party’s top job. Internal communications obtained by POLITICO revealed the party’s internal debate over her performance.

“No RNC Chair in the history of the whole party has lasted as long as Ronna McDaniel without seeing at least one winning election season,” Erick Erickson, the conservative radio host, wrote on Twitter. “She took the job in 2017, and the GOP has lost every election cycle since.”

McDaniel will draw at least some challenges when RNC members meet to determine the chairmanship at their meeting in California next month. Although Zeldin considered but has declined to run against her, Harmeet Dhillon, a RNC committee member whose firm represents Trump, is going ahead with a challenge. So is Mike Lindell, the MyPillow CEO and election denier. But McDaniel is favored in Republican circles to win a fourth term; McDaniel has a letter endorsing her candidacy signed by more than half of the committee members, so the outcome, as Zeldin complained, may be “pre-baked.”

Notably, however, all of McDaniel’s potential challengers are Trump loyalists like her. More establishment types remain thoroughly sidelined in the party, despite the electoral failures of the former president and his allies.

To understand why Trump and McDaniel have such staying power, I called up Michael Steele, a former RNC chair and former Maryland lieutenant governor, who broke with Trump and endorsed President Joe Biden in 2020 but still is a Republican.

Steele explained that in the years since Trump came on the political scene, MAGA loyalists have come to dominate the party apparatus, particularly at the state level. So even if some national politicians and party members want to go another direction, it’s not so easy to change course.

“If you look at state party organizations, it’s the MAGA strain of Republicanism that’s become dominant,” Steele explained. “And they’re willing to change the rules, they’re willing to ignore an insurrection, refer to it as just ‘political discourse.’ All of that stuff coming out of the national party is a reflection of what’s happening inside the party across the states.”

Click on the link for the full article and interview

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I saw a bumper sticker this past weekend that said:

Republican

Because I have a job and don’t have time to protest

There are a lot of exploited people out there who think being a wage slave is some kind of badge of honor. And it makes them so much more susceptible to conservative propaganda. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

There are a lot of exploited people out there who think being a wage slave is some kind of badge of honor. And it makes them so much more susceptible to conservative propaganda. 

And it's not just that. 

What the bumper sticker really says is "I'm Republican because I think I'm better than what I imagine them other types are like". 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

50 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Boot is an acquired taste

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I had someone try to give me **** because I got hurt on the job and sued for worker's comp (job tried to screw me). He was bragging that when he got hurt he didn't take anything from his job...I called him an idiot.

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

This is a great point, didn't think of that one!

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Reading some of the latest goper doings here, I'd like to make a point.

Even if you had the ability to launch every one of these goper pos's into our sun it would be wrong because the sudden permanent absence of say 50-60 million people would crash the economy and much of civilization for millions of innocents who would suffer horribly.

It doesn't matter if that would be the only reason to not do it, it's still enough imo. So I'm going to continue to resist the impulse.

For now.

• Like 2