Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Cornell, lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave, had died at 52.

d0ublestr0ker0ll

****ing terrible.  Like many of you, one of the defining vocalists for one of the defining bands of my youth.  

One of the biggest highlights I've had as a photographer was shooting Soundgarden during Chili Cook-Off a few years ago.  I've been able to shoot Pearl Jam and was excited to shoot Soundgarden, two of my favorite bands growing up.

To be that close to him and Kim Thayil was an absolute thrill.  While I wasn't in love with the photos I got, I was just happy to say that I was there and saw him.  Would have been happy to see him solo or fronting Audioslave (still think they're great, don't care what anyone says) but to see him with Soundgarden and to shoot it was a dream come true.  

DSC00727.jpg?format=750w

DSC00751.jpg?format=750w

And his rendition of Billie Jean is amazing.  

I know what I'll be listening to for the next few days.  Thanks for the music, thanks for the memories.  Can't imagine what would have driven him to do such a thing but I hope he's found peace.  RIP.  

My Soundgarden moment was at Lollapalooza 1995, out at Charles Town, me and 100,000 of my closest friends.

I still remember that day as probably the best all around concert event I ever saw.  The main stage had bands like the Screaming Trees, Rancid, the Wu-Tang clan (for some reason).  Ben Folds was on stage three, before that band hit it big.  Waylon Jennings made a cameo.

The triple headliner...The Ramones, Soundgarden, Metallica.  For a 16 year old high school sophomore in the mid-90's, it didn't get much better than that.

I can't say I was a big Soundgarden guy.  I liked them but wasn't into them, i was there for Metallica.  I do remember most of my friends being high as kites (I didn't partake) during Black Hole Sun, starry night...great time.

I also liked Audioslave, and honestly, of the two bands, Like a stone is probably my favorite song.  Probably blasphemy, but I said it.

8 hours ago, Springfield said:

This is another in a long line of music stars that I grew up with that will have passed before my children get to appreciate them.

This is exactly where I am.

By the time my kid is able to even ask the question "what were your favorite bands" I'm going to have to explain why none of them have made music in a while...

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If you were a longtime SG/Rage fan at the time, it all seemed a bit forced and underwhelming.  Really good band, tho.

I was never a huge SG guy but I have always loved Rage...I always thought Audioslave was good as well..

1 hour ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

What is people's gripe with Audioslave? I thought they were a great band

When I first heard "Cochise" I thought YES this band is going to kickass.  But I thought the rest of their music was pretty melo.  Good music but I had different expectations.  

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If you were a longtime SG/Rage fan at the time, it all seemed a bit forced and underwhelming.  Really good band, tho.

Well, kinda, yeah. (on the forced part)  But still good writing, and a helluva lot better than some things making a gazillion more dollars, it's a shame.

Does it sound morbid for me to want some pics or vids from last night?  Was there a clue that everyone missed?  I'm just in a WHAT THE HELL kind of moment...play a sold out show and then have your fans wake up to this?

Archived