Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Was Your Favorite Tom Hanks Performance in a Film?

Ron78

What Was Your Favorite Tom Hanks Performance in a Film?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Favorite Tom Hanks Performance in a Film of Franchise?

• Splash
    • Bachelor Party
    • The Man With One Red Shoe
    • Big
    • Punchline
    • Turner & Hooch
    • A League of Their Own
    • Philadelphia
    • Forrest Gump
    • Apollo 13
    • Toy Story/Toy Story 2/Toy Story 3
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • The Green Mile
    • Cast Away
    • Road to Perdition
    • The Da Vinci Code/Angles & Demons/Inferno
    • Charlie Wilson's War
    • Captain Phillips
    • Sully
    • Other

Still thinking but you know, I've been introducing the gf to Tom Hanks lately. The last one we watched was Big. I always like those stupid movies where people magically wake up a different age, either younger or older. Guilty pleasure of mine.

Big is by far the best. It's by far the best performance by a grown actor. I mean he nails being 12. Hadn't seen it in years and was really almost blown away by that. So yeah I'm not sure I'm going to select it over some of the others but just wanted to put that out that. 

Also Forrest Gump, just yesterday i was going through some clickbait bull**** about it (forgive me, I was taking a ****). The first slide was about actors who turned down the role. Chevy Chase. Bill Murray. John Travolta. Reading those names and looking at the picture of Hanks as Gump at the top, I honestly couldn't even begin to imagine anyone else in that role. He owned that **** as much as any person can possibly own a role. Not sure which of his other movies you can say that about. 

I think his best performance was in A League Of Their Own, but his role wasn't big enough. That left me with Saving Private Ryan(a classic), and Road to Perdition( underrated awesomeness). Those two are personally a tie for me, but I voted for Perdition because I assume a lot of people will choose Ryan anyway.  

I'll honestly admit, I haven't seen everything on the list...I picked Forrest Gump, both for the humor and drama of the whole body of the movie. 

For comedy alone, Big and The Man With One Red Shoe.

For drama, Philadelphia (absolutely monumental for its time) and Saving Private Ryan, even though the constantly moving camera makes me nauseous.

12 minutes ago, Major Harris said:

Absolutely not.   Widest range in Hollywood

I wouldn't even put him on that list.  He has some range but he doesn't stand out for it like some of the chameleons in Hollywood. 

I'd say that he's certainly not the same guy in all his movies, just in most of them. 

I voted for Turner and Hooch.

He was on an incredible run from League of Their Own to Castaway.  Eight years and about 47 blockbusters/classics.  He crushed the 90's.  Still doing great work too, he was fantastic in Bridge of Spies, though his character was similar to the one he played in Catch Me If You Can (not as good as I remembered it being).

Tom Hanks is the Jimmy Stewart of his age.  Few can match the dignity he can bring to a role.

8 hours ago, Major Harris said:

Absolutely not.   Widest range in Hollywood

That would be an interesting thread. Tom Hardy probably gets my vote. Daniel Day Lewis runner-up.

As for the task at hand... Joe vs the Volcano.

edit: oookay, Joe vs the Volcano isn't on the list. Gotta go with Gump then. I think I was 13 when that came out and I remember sitting in the theater thinking, "I don't want this to end". If memory serves, that was a great year for movies all around. Weren't  Shawshank and Pulp Fiction that same year?

Also Forest Gump's son was the little kid who saw dead people in the 6th sense.

Double Edit: Just looked him up. Now he sees Ho-Hos

haley-joel-osment-2015.png

Holy crap, I can't get over what a fat piece of **** Haley Joel Osment turned into. He should star in a remake of 'My Left Foot' entitled 'My Left Foot: I Lost It Because I Have Diabetes'.

And while I'm on a roll, I want to point out that Tom Hanks's greatest performance wasn't in a film at all. It was on television.

10 hours ago, Destino said:

I wouldn't even put him on that list.  He has some range but he doesn't stand out for it like some of the chameleons in Hollywood. 

I'd say that he's certainly not the same guy in all his movies, just in most of them. 

Who has more? 

Brad pitt.

If someone says denzel or costner, they will be put on ignore. 

Seen all or part of every single film on that list. which is missing "Joe vs the Volcano", the other Meg Ryan films can remain omitted.

"Big" was the best imo, followed by "SPR". 

"Charlie Wilson" is under the radar, but is absolutely one of the best films to watch if you want to know how DC really works.

He is one of the greatest of all time. 

I think he could play every role that Hanks played over the years. 

Most folks would agree that Hanks is in the discussion. 

Personally, I think many actors with less range could play many of Hanks' roles over the years (and possibly better). 

I think DiCaprio would have actually been a better actor in at least one of Hanks movies...Castaway. 

I'll give Hanks Big and Gump...the predominant rest... I think DiCaprio would have been better. 

Archived