Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Was Your Favorite Tom Hanks Performance in a Film?

Ron78

What Was Your Favorite Tom Hanks Performance in a Film?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Was Your Favorite Tom Hanks Performance in a Film of Franchise?

• Splash
    • Bachelor Party
    • The Man With One Red Shoe
    • Big
    • Punchline
    • Turner & Hooch
    • A League of Their Own
    • Philadelphia
    • Forrest Gump
    • Apollo 13
    • Toy Story/Toy Story 2/Toy Story 3
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • The Green Mile
    • Cast Away
    • Road to Perdition
    • The Da Vinci Code/Angles & Demons/Inferno
    • Charlie Wilson's War
    • Captain Phillips
    • Sully
    • Other

12 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

He is one of the greatest of all time. 

I think he could play every role that Hanks played over the years. 

Most folks would agree that Hanks is in the discussion. 

Personally, I think many actors with less range could play many of Hanks' roles over the years (and possibly better). 

I think DiCaprio would have actually been a better actor in at least one of Hanks movies...Castaway. 

I'll give Hanks Big and Gump...the predominant rest... I think DiCaprio would have been better. 

I wouldn't go that far. Tom Hanks does have a comedy background and can play older people roles.

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

In the conversation, but I don't think he reaches as far compared to those guys. 

Plays gangster too often. 

Certainly a few iconic roles however. So definitely in the conversation. 

Oh, come on Kosher. I'm more of a Brando fan myself, but DeNiro is universally considered in the top 5 of all time.

Top 5 all time. Well I'm solid on my top 4 and the order varies depending on my mood at the time. This would be some sort of balance of actual talent, range, quality of movies, body of work, cinematic and cultural impact, Oscars/Globes etc. 5 is never set in stone for me tho. 

Not in any order 

DiCaprio

Brando

DeNiro

Pacino 

Hanks? Hankso lol 

i think pure talent DDL might be the best ever but he doesn't do enough movies honestly. 

Really tough to choose. Castaway is one of his better performances imo. Haven't seen road to perdition in a while but that might just be the most underrated movie ever. 

Hanks is a better actor than dicaprio imo. I havent seen most of Daniel day lewis' moview, but he has incredibly strong performances in the ones I have seen. 

Greatest Lead Actors of All Time

1 - Daniel Day Lewis

2 - Laurence Olivier

3 - Marlon Brando

4 - Jack Nicholson

5 - Sean Penn

6 - Jeff Bridges

7 - Dustin Hoffman

8 - Robert DeNiro

9 - Humphrey Bogart

10 - Leonardo DiCaprio

Best Current Leading Men:

1 - Day Lewis

2 - Bridges

3 - DiCaprio

4 - Downey Jr.

5 - Bale

6 - Pitt

7 - Denzel

8 - Hanks

9 - Cumberbatch

10 - Ejiofor

Greatest Action & Western Stars of All Time

1 - Steve McQueen

2 - Russell Crowe

3 - Clint Eastwood

4 - Errol Flynn

5 - Paul Newman

6 - Tom Cruise

7 - Matt Damon

8 - Jackie Chan

9 - Harrison Ford

10 - John Wayne

Greatest Character Actors Who Also Sometimes Played Lead

1 - George C Scott

2 - Benicio Del Toro

3 - Frank Langella

4 - Morgan Freeman

5 - Tom Wilkinson

6 - Jason Robards

7 - Paul Giamatti

8 - Phillip Seymour Hoffman

9 - Chris Cooper

10 - John Goodman

8 hours ago, DM72 said:

I wouldn't go that far. Tom Hanks does have a comedy background and can play older people roles.

Tom Hanks is older...that's a silly point to make. Was he in the Basketball Diaries movie ? Same type of thing. 

8 hours ago, DM72 said:

Oh, come on Kosher. I'm more of a Brando fan myself, but DeNiro is universally considered in the top 5 of all time.

I never said Bobby D wasn't in the top five. Why do some folks want to debate against things that were never even stated ? 

I would put Brando in the top 10...maybe. Somewhere with the Johnny Depp overrated type of actor. 

15 hours ago, DM72 said:

It's Brando, then everybody else.

Personally, I think Brando is overrated.  Not that he isn't a good actor, I just don't see him being any better than some of the other great actors out there,

11 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Tom Hanks is older...that's a silly point to make. Was he in the Basketball Diaries movie ? Same type of thing. 

I never said Bobby D wasn't in the top five. Why do some folks want to debate against things that were never even stated ? 

I would put Brando in the top 10...maybe. Somewhere with the Johnny Depp overrated type of actor. 

You said that DiCaprio could play any role Hanks have played. THAT's a silly argument considering Hanks is quite older than DiCaprio. 

Could Leo have played Captain Phillips or Sully?

27 minutes ago, China said:

Personally, I think Brando is overrated.  Not that he isn't a good actor, I just don't see him being any better than some of the other great actors out there,

The great Jack Nicholson once said "When Brando dies, we all move up a step."

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Sean penn in the top 5?

Damn, Steve game 7 got you all messed up

He is a powerhouse.  His performances in Milk, Dead Man Walking, and Mystic River are as good as anything ever put on film.  He was also really good in At Close Range and Carlito's Way.  Two best actor Oscars don't lie.

He doesn't get the acclaim that he deserves because he's not affable like Hanks or Stewart and he's aggressively political and liberal.  People don't like him.  But he is as talented as anyone in Hollywood history.  He is the Marlon Brando of his generation.

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

True..but how would Hanks do in Blood Diamond or the Departed? Or as a rich crazy racist slave-owner?

I can see Leo playing Hanks "everyman" character a lot easier than Hanks playing a lot of Leo's roles. 

Again, age does make a difference. I would guess that Hanks is around 60, while Leo is in his early 40's and I don't believe each actor could play the other guys roles just like that. Certain roles are just meant for certain actors.

7 minutes ago, DM72 said:

He looks like Leo made up to look old. 

I'm confused? Sully or Captain Phillips didn't look like 'Tom Hanks with gray hair' or 'Tom Hanks with a beard'

The point was he could easily play the old every-man Tom Hanks was in those movies. 

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Two best actor Oscars don't lie.

They absolutely can. Not this his weren't deserving but it's a flawed system. 

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He is the Marlon Brando of his generation.

I don't deny Penn is extremely talented but this is laughable. 

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I'm confused? Sully or Captain Phillips didn't look like 'Tom Hanks with gray hair' or 'Tom Hanks with a beard'

The point was he could easily play the old every-man Tom Hanks was in those movies. 

You honestly can't tell the difference? They literally had to turn Leo into an old man. For all we know, Hanks hair may be as white as snow.

And if they did dye his hair, that's nothing compared to what they had to do to turn Leo into an old man.

4 minutes ago, DM72 said:

You honestly can't tell the difference? They literally had to turn Leo into an old man. For all we know, Hanks hair may be as white as snow.

And if they did dye his hair, that's nothing compared to what they had to do to turn Leo into an old man.

What does that have to do with anything? And Marlon Brando had to have a a lot of makeup work and stuffed his gums with cotton balls to look like Vito Corleone. Didn't seem to matter much that he wasn't really a 70 year old Italian man

Archived