Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The White Terrorism Thread

Gamebreaker

Well I didn't think it was worth its own thread but wanted people to be aware that "something" had happened last night.  I thought this was the closest thread to applying.  Wasn't trying to make any great point.  I'm deeply troubled that I didn't live up to your standard Larry.

i thought when you posted a link, it put the headline in a little box thing.  I don't know what that's called but apparently I didn't do it right.

Anyways, for those that care, a bunch of people died last night.

• Like 1

That link and story deserves it's own thread. Or maybe a thread to discuss that kind of murder spree that we see becoming a trend. The jilted married man, who loses his wife/girlfriend and starts murdering her, his family, her family, random people walking down the street. It is a trend that has gained momentum recently and should be discussed....but it has nothing to do with this thread and it's topic. 

• Like 1

Is it a trend, game, or are we just seeing things like that covered more now? (I actually don't know) 

Im curious because I think it's interesting how the media influences what we think. 

Cop shootings are a hot topic for awhile, we are convinced it's a trend (even if it's not statistically, it's just the story du jour) then something else becomes a hot topic. 

• Like 2

Oh, I certainly agree that "Man kills wife, kids, and all of her relatives, for leaving him", and similar stories, say a lot about our country.  Including the fact that we all seem to just take for granted that "heck, this happens all the time".  

Hard to have a discussion about it in the usual Tailgate fashion, though.  It's not like there's one political side that has a solution, and the other one is defending the practice.  Although I suppose we could turn it into a gun control thread.  

I don't really see a solution for it.  

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well I didn't think it was worth its own thread but wanted people to be aware that "something" had happened last night.  I thought this was the closest thread to applying.  Wasn't trying to make any great point.  

I looked at that story a few times too yesterday and was considering posting it here as well, but I wasn't sure it fit the thread so decided against it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grego said:

Is it a trend, game, or are we just seeing things like that covered more now? (I actually don't know) 

Im curious because I think it's interesting how the media influences what we think. 

Cop shootings are a hot topic for awhile, we are convinced it's a trend (even if it's not statistically, it's just the story du jour) then something else becomes a hot topic. 

Cop shootings only began being covered more in the media once cellphone technology advanced to the point where the general American public were seeing injustice with their own eyes. We rarely ever see the jilted male murders played out on camera. The guy from Ohio who killed that poor old man, that was rare. It is more likely we hear about the murder spree after it's already over, and the perp is either captured or killed. 

Found the below link that talks about a study done on the topic, but not much else. 

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/230412.pdf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

That link and story deserves it's own thread. Or maybe a thread to discuss that kind of murder spree that we see becoming a trend. The jilted married man, who loses his wife/girlfriend and starts murdering her, his family, her family, random people walking down the street. It is a trend that has gained momentum recently and should be discussed....but it has nothing to do with this thread and it's topic. 

I think part of the reason for the increase in this type of outburst is all the suicide prevention. It's not too long before illogical sadness becomes illogical rage.

Edited by RedskinsMayne

1 minute ago, RedskinsMayne said:

I think part of the reason for the increase in this type of outburst is all the suicide prevention. It's not too long before illogical depression becomes illogical rage.

So what are you saying? The suicide prevention programs have it all wrong? 

On 5/28/2017 at 11:21 AM, grego said:

Its myopic and self hating. (I point this out as an immigrant for context). I rarely if ever see an argument lamenting the horrors of being forced to grow up in America (hyperbole alert ;) ) that acknowledges this. 

Well, people only have their experiences to judge by, and really that's all that's relevant anyhow.  Can you at least acknowledge that a black man growing up in the deep south in the 60s, might have every right to lament a rather horrific upbringing, and that there is no reason or excuse to minimize the horrors he felt from the deep racism he experienced, just because you had a different experience, or somewhere in South Africa someone had an even worse experience?

How about urban youth in high crime neighborhoods that really do live in fear of the police?  Gonna tell them they're overeacting?  Have you honestly ever had to deal with constant harassment, trigger happy police officers and living with the real fear that one false move, one suspicious bulge in youe pocket, one wallet that is misidentified as a gun, can result in your death?  What if you had to deal with stop and frisk policies (being automatically searched regardless of suspicion of a crime), wouldn't that infuriate you, and probably have resulted in a far greater chance you'd get arrested for something petty like having a dime bag in your pocket, something that the kids on the nice side of town get away with all the time?

Sometimes you have to live it or see it to understand and believe it. Recently there has been all this scandal about police brutality, which minorities have been complaining about for years.  But it wasn't until phone cameras came along and showed it to people, that large parts of the population where finally like, "omg that's horrible, I thought people were just exaggerating."  Meanwhile, large numbers of black people are like, "what the hell did you think we were complaining about all these years???  Did you think that we were all just making it up?????"

Are you gonna tell the Latino immgrants, who now are subject to ICS roadblocks only in their part of town, who have to carry around immigration papers to avoid being locked up whilr ICS agents sort things out, that"hey its not so bad, you know the Palestinians have it even worse."

I sincerely don't understand why you think, for any of those examples above, asking people to acknowledge Americas greatness is necessary, or even relevant to these peoples experiences.  It's nothing but patronizing and dismissive.  Period.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Llevron said:

Typical 

forgive me for not feeling up to responding yesterday. yesterday was memorial day. there was a thread about it to remind anyone who forgot. its at the bottom of the page, i believe, so i can see how one could miss it.

because i served, i pay extra attention to the holiday. because i lost a platoon mate and friend in the gulf war, i try to take a day reflect on life and everything i have that he will never see because he died fighting for his adopted country while i lived doing the same. 

because of that, i thought it was best that i take a moment from posting about how lucky people in america are. i feel like i made the right decision. 

• Like 2

No real details on what the "threats" were or what their suspicions are. There's a protest rally coming up Saturday (Holler) so I'm wondering if maybe that's it. Whatever it is though, there really isn't a single good reason for someone to be packing an assault rifle in that part of town.

These are scary times. So worse than the random mass shootings. That was random. This stuff isn't. I know they actively want to kill people like me. They actively want to kill people like my girlfriend. They actively want to kill us as a couple.  

Never have I missed my lost gun rights...until now. #dowhatyougottado

• Like 2