Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Cousins for picks, draft QB???

Boss_Hogg

Trade Franchised Cousins for picks and draft a QB???  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Cousins (if franchised) for picks and draft a QB???

This poll is closed to new votes

6 hours ago, wolfsire said:

If Cousins won't sign for a reasonable amount, sign Mike Glennon. Don't get me wrong. I hope Kirk will be reasonable. But I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up in Chicago.

In 2018? Worst case he gets franchised... I know "home" is a factor in your logic, but I can't see the Bears outbidding the Danny.

On 1/4/2017 at 8:39 AM, Boss_Hogg said:

Simple question...what's your plan B if Kirk bolts to another team for the 2017 season? 

Do we go with McCoy? Work on developing Suds, chase Romo, draft a new guy, or trade for Garoppolo?

There aren't any other options.  If this team doesn't sigh Kirk to a long term deal it will have Trent Green, Brad Johnson type consequences.  This team hasn't had good QB play in ages.  Letting him go would be stupid

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Fixed it, guy haven't been doing anything stupid those last 2/3 seasons. So that's a good sign, we still have to keep him under study, but he's going the right way :)

I think he's like a Jack-in-the-Box just biding his time to jump up and do something incredibly stupid. But hey that's jus me. 

1 minute ago, HOF44 said:

I think he's like a Jack-in-the-Box just biding his time to jump up and do something incredibly stupid. But hey that's jus me. 

Oh that's still a possibility, and Riggo have every rights to be cautious regarding him.

My point is that he seems to be heading in the right direction. Not saying he have arrived or he wouldn't fall to a stupid reaction at any times...

Now, if he could take over John Mara as Competition Committee, that would be smart :P

IF Kirk leaves, I would make preparations for his replacement by bulking up the OL and drafting a mid round QB the coaches see potential in. I would focus on the OL and DL heavily this year, and give a journeyman QB a one year deal to mentor the mid round QB. This year would be about getting the big boys acclimated and watching how the rookie develops. 

Edit: This is actually my plan whether Kirk stays or leaves. Build up the trenches on both sides and watch how it impacts every other unit.

On 1/4/2017 at 0:42 PM, Bang said:

After 25 years of watching mis-step after mis-step, idiotic signing after idiotic signing after idiotic signing, after waiting for a competent QB for almost 2 decades,,,  to have one in house,, if they let him walk.. I will have had enough. I can't root for a team that does not try to win. and if they let him walk, that will be my conclusion. we the fans are a money tree, and that's it. Winning doesn't matter.

So for me i would seriously consider saying

1280px-Baltimore_Ravens_logo.svg.png

~Bye

First thing that came to my mind too.  If we let go the best QB we've had since Rypien for draft picks that only give us a chance at drafting a franchise QB then I'm out too.  I've been with this team since Vince came on board.  We've rolled the dice twice with high 1st round picks on a QB and came up snake eyes with both:  Shuler and RG III. 

On 1/4/2017 at 0:59 PM, NickyJ said:

Do we know that they don't have a plan B? It's not like they're going to rush to tell the fans exactly what their gameplan is. By all means, this is something for us to worry about, but to say it's a fact that they never planned for this is kind of a big leap you're making.

I'm not so sure.  Either one of two things happened and neither are good from a fan's point of view.

1) Scot grossly miscalculated the QB market and how much leverage he would have on Kirk this year. 

or

2) He could not convince Dan to write a check and pay Kirk at a discounted price (the market will always rise for QBs and any GM should know that).

The team has zero leverage on Kirk.  If they screw around he can play another year and walk.  Then the 2012 deal was a total waste.  If we end up with our franchise QB (even though it was at a lower round and not the guy we expected) then we can look back and say it all worked out.  Letting Kirk walk for nothing would be the most epic fail for a team in the history of the sports.  It could very well let the Chargers off the hook for drafting Leaf. 

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

It could very well let the Blazers off the hook for the Bowie over Jordan draft.  Well, almost but it would be bad. 

So Portland should have re-signed Bowie to a 25 million dollar a year contract because they didn't draft Jordan?

9 hours ago, TheCoach22 said:

In 2018? Worst case he gets franchised... I know "home" is a factor in your logic, but I can't see the Bears outbidding the Danny.

I'm kind of in the middle ground on Cousins. I think the most likely and logical move is to re-sign him, and hopefully the money is reasonable. But another Franchise tag year makes sense too.

But what you're talking about is the Bears signing him after he's been tagged, so we'd get their 3rd overall pick in the draft, and another, likely very high, 1st next year. In that case, I let him walk.

On 1/4/2017 at 2:11 PM, PartyPosse said:

I don't understand why people say Luck sucks. Dude is really good but has no help and an absolutely AWFUL line protecting him. Dude got sacked 41 times! 

Check out his completion percentage.  Total suckage.  Esp for someone of his supposed caliber. 

5 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm kind of in the middle ground on Cousins. I think the most likely and logical move is to re-sign him, and hopefully the money is reasonable. But another Franchise tag year makes sense too.

But what you're talking about is the Bears signing him after he's been tagged, so we'd get their 3rd overall pick in the draft, and another, likely very high, 1st next year. In that case, I let him walk.

Who then would become our QB?  Will you trust another kid from college?  Are you willing to sit thru more years of holding your breath on 3rd downs and praying that you end up ahead of the sticks with a 3rd and short?  Kirk has picked up a lot of 3rd and 7+ first downs.  There aren't many QB's that can do that.  We whiffed twice on QB's in the first round.  What has Scot shown you that convinces you that he can pick the right guy in the draft to replace Kirk?  I mean a QB who can throw for 4K + next year? 

Tagging him again means we have paid him $44M for two years of rent.  (A savvy GM would have given him $50M guaranteed last year at a discount on a 5 year contract) The 3rd year he would walk cause the tag will go to $34M and he will have proved himself 3 years in a row.  So he walks for nothing.  That would be epically dumb. 

5 hours ago, PerryMason said:

Check out his completion percentage.  Total suckage.  Esp for someone of his supposed caliber. 

Yeah; like the very first pick of the draft!  If a can't miss guy like Luck looks like he might not be what we all thought he was then why the hell would any smart GM trade Kirk for a roll of the dice in the draft?

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

Who then would become our QB?  Will you trust another kid from college?  Are you willing to sit thru more years of holding your breath on 3rd downs and praying that you end up ahead of the sticks with a 3rd and short?  Kirk has picked up a lot of 3rd and 7+ first downs.  There aren't many QB's that can do that.  We whiffed twice on QB's in the first round.  What has Scot shown you that convinces you that he can pick the right guy in the draft to replace Kirk?  I mean a QB who can throw for 4K + next year? 

Tagging him again means we have paid him $44M for two years of rent.  (A savvy GM would have given him $50M guaranteed last year at a discount on a 5 year contract) The 3rd year he would walk cause the tag will go to $34M and he will have proved himself 3 years in a row.  So he walks for nothing.  That would be epically dumb. 

I find the idea that we have to pay a QB upwards of $25 mil per year, and even turn down two theoretical high 1st round draft picks for him, because we don't know who would immediately take his place and be better than him, to be not at all compelling.

I'm not interested in building a borderline playoff team. I think, if you want to build a team to win a title, you need to build a team of that caliber. And, as it relates to the QB position that really leaves two options: 1) A truly great QB (could also be a really good QB who has a knack for elevating his game when needed, ala Eli or Flacco); or 2) A good enough QB and a tremendous team around him.

While it's certainly still possible he could still improve to a new level, at this point I am of the opinion that he will likely never be the first type of QB. And his propensity for mistakes at just the wrong time makes me kind of doubt he fits well for the second scenario. More importantly, given that  the only real strengths of this team are  in the passing game right now, and given the potential resources to be spent on Cousins (with the hypothetical 1s being turned down), going with Cousins in that second scenario is a questionable strategy, at best.

Now, I think we will stick with Kirk, and that's understandable. The possibility of him taking another step up is likely our best hope. But again, given the price and the idea of getting two goo 1s for him, I'd move on. There are several ways to go after the QB position from there. But if I feel he's not going to be the guy we need anyway, sticking with him just because we're not sure we're immediately going to do better is beside the point.

Again, just my opinion, which has fluctuated  a bit on Cousins over the past couple of years. But that's where it stands right now.

15 hours ago, IrepDC said:

IF Kirk leaves, I would make preparations for his replacement by bulking up the OL and drafting a mid round QB the coaches see potential in. I would focus on the OL and DL heavily this year, and give a journeyman QB a one year deal to mentor the mid round QB. This year would be about getting the big boys acclimated and watching how the rookie develops. 

Edit: This is actually my plan whether Kirk stays or leaves. Build up the trenches on both sides and watch how it impacts every other unit.

If you prepare to be mediocre and play like it. You get fired in the NFL. There is no way this would be an option. They are not going to "settle" for a mid tier QB

9 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

While it's certainly still possible he could still improve to a new level, at this point I am of the opinion that he will likely never be the first type of QB. And his propensity for mistakes at just the wrong time makes me kind of doubt he fits well for the second scenario.

I've seen many of your posts/predictions and prognostications about Kirk on this board before he was named starter. He has surpassed all of your low expectations and after the 3rd year in this system with the validation of being a true leader (long-term contract) he will continue to break thru the ceiling you keep trying to place above his head. 

As for the draft?  There is no guarantee that we would find a QB in the next 5 years better than Kirk.  You cannot post that with any sincerity.  The draft is a gamble.  Hence the reason the NFL decided to cap rookie contracts. Too many teams got burned chasing after fools gold. 

42 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I've seen many of your posts/predictions and prognostications about Kirk on this board before he was named starter. He has surpassed all of your low expectations and after the 3rd year in this system with the validation of being a true leader (long-term contract) he will continue to break thru the ceiling you keep trying to place above his head. 

I don't think I've made many "prognostications", but if you're an expert on my posting history, you'd remember how I liked Kirk coming into the draft and how excited I was by his rookie year. But certainly I soured on him after his god-awful his 13 and 14 seasons were. If you think that's something to play 'gotcha' with, go ahead. I'm certainly not ashamed of being worried about a guy who was playing that horribly three years into his career.

But then, you'll also recall that I was onboard with him being signed long-term a year ago. Or, maybe you'll remember that way back when, in the post you just quoted, that I said he was likely to be signed long-term and that I'm OK with it, and that I think the potential he has to grow is probably our best shot going forward.

But still, his main weaknesses remain largely  the same they ever were. A propensity for mistakes at the wrong time and not rising to big occasions. For that, yes I would, given the choice, take 25 mil per year in cap space and two early 1st round picks. If it makes you feel better to treat me as a 'hater' or something, have at it.

42 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

As for the draft?  There is no guarantee that we would find a QB in the next 5 years better than Kirk.  You cannot post that with any sincerity.  The draft is a gamble.  Hence the reason the NFL decided to cap rookie contracts. Too many teams got burned chasing after fools gold. 

There is no guarantee Cousins won't be the worst QB in the NFL next year. There's no guarantee that, if we give him a long-term deal,  he won't  suffer a career ending injury walking a dog the next day. There's no guarantee Nate Sudfeld won't be a superstar. There's no guarantee we won't win a Super Bowl by spending our next three 1st round picks on a Kicker, a Punter and a Long Snapper. There's no guarantee I won't marry Scarlett Johansson. 

I've said it many times- the phrase "no guarantee" is a ridiculous rhetorical device. It's a substitute for reasoning. The above paragraph would be examples of why. It's a meaningless phrase when used in debate the way you just did. 

You might also want to note that I never even approached "guaranteeing" anything you implied I did.

Archived