Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Cousins for picks, draft QB???

Boss_Hogg

Trade Franchised Cousins for picks and draft a QB???  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Cousins (if franchised) for picks and draft a QB???

This poll is closed to new votes

If Kirk walks, I say you ride the Colt for a couple years while developing a younger player, whether it's Nate or someone else in a coming draft. While doing that, you sink everything into that defense. 

Colt is clearly a downgrade in many areas from Kirk, but I do think he can be successful if everything is not on his shoulders. I actually was hoping they'd put him in against the Giants in the fourth when it was clear Kirk was done, although I realized that would never happen for a multitude of reasons. 

One thing Colt does have over Kirk: he doesn't shrink from the big moment. 

All that said, I'm really hoping they find a way to bring Kirk back. Sounds to me like there's a lot of damage in that relationship that needs to be repaired quickly, or there's no chance he's coming back. 

Just now, Dissident2 said:

If Kirk walks, I say you ride the Colt for a couple years while developing a younger player, whether it's Nate or someone else in a coming draft. While doing that, you sink everything into that defense. 

Colt is clearly a downgrade in many areas from Kirk, but I do think he can be successful if everything is not on his shoulders. I actually was hoping they'd put him in against the Giants in the fourth when it was clear Kirk was done, although I realized that would never happen for a multitude of reasons. 

One thing Colt does have over Kirk: he doesn't shrink from the big moment. 

All that said, I'm really hoping they find a way to bring Kirk back. Sounds to me like there's a lot of damage in that relationship that needs to be repaired quickly, or there's no chance he's coming back. 

could you let me know all these big moments colt has played in?  last i checked hes been a bench warmer and has only played on dreadful teams with 0 expectations.  i know he beat the cowboys once and to this fan base thats the equivalent of winning 19 games at once, but please let me know where this miraculous colt mccoy poise stems from.

1 minute ago, Garcon More Wine said:

could you let me know all these big moments colt has played in?  last i checked hes been a bench warmer and has only played on dreadful teams with 0 expectations.  i know he beat the cowboys once and to this fan base thats the equivalent of winning 19 games at once, but please let me know where this miraculous colt mccoy poise stems from.

Fair point, there's not a real body of work there, so that's more speculation on my part. I think what's stuck with me on the "poise" front and what inspired that comment (no one ever called it "miraculous", btw) is the report that came out after week 2 with the quote below (unofficially attributed to Garcon on local radio after it came out, but that was never verified): 

I asked the source whether the players who are griping would prefer Colt McCoy. Said the source, “At least he’d play with poise.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/18/locker-room-grumbling-begins-regarding-kirk-cousins/

Like I said, I hope they can bring Kirk back. That should be Plan A. If it doesn't happen, I think you have to give Colt a chance. 

After hearing that our top offer last off-season for a long-term deal was $16M/yr, I don't think we will make this thing work. Not to mention the fact that, although many are in denial about it, there's definitely an issue between him and management. He'll be asking $23M+/yr and he knows he'll get it somewhere. Being that I think he'll leave, I see two options:

1)Sign and trade. At least get something for him. Make an honest attempt to draft a starting-calibur QB (not like the Sudfeld 6th round) 

2)Franchise tag him and make the same attempt at drafting a QB as in the above option.

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

Fair point, there's not a real body of work there, so that's more speculation on my part. I think what's stuck with me on the "poise" front and what inspired that comment (no one ever called it "miraculous", btw) is the report that came out after week 2 with the quote below (unofficially attributed to Garcon on local radio after it came out, but that was never verified): 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/18/locker-room-grumbling-begins-regarding-kirk-cousins/

Like I said, I hope they can bring Kirk back. That should be Plan A. If it doesn't happen, I think you have to give Colt a chance. 

understood, i think that comment was probably taken out of context and was more of just a frustration thing from the players.  if colt was actually good someone would have paid him to come play for them.  NFL caliber starting QBs dont just waste away on the bench.

32 minutes ago, Garcon More Wine said:

Colt's your classic backup QB.  He can give you a couple quality starts and win, but after that defenses will adjust to him.  He had big win over the Patriots while in Cleveland and almost beat a good Jets team with a good performance before coming down to earth.  Once defenses crowd the box, stuff the run and take away the short/intermediate routes he's toast.   

The truth is that a plan B should have been made last year when we tagged him.  If it was a show deal, than we should have had a plan in place if he ended up crapping the bed.  Despite what some people want to believe, he didn't crap the bed so we should move forward with plan A.  However, we didn't do anything to set up for a viable plan B.  We are in for a **** load of trouble balanced by a **** load of what if's if we have to go without Kirk.

If Colt McCoy was a viable starter in this league, he wouldn't be our backup and would be starting somewhere else.  There's a reason he has been a career backup - he's not starting caliber.

The fact of the matter is that there IS no plan B.  And Kirk knows that so he basically has the Redskins by the balls, on top of all the other run around crap.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's rough stuff, but if he's franchised and someone calls for the trade, we'd be loaded with draft picks.  Just saying, since this is all hypothetical.

If we don't sign Kirk to a long term deal then I really hope he's traded for two 1's (or whatever we negotiate).  If Bradford got a #1 then there's no reason someone wouldn't come close to the two #1's for KC.  I don't necessarily want a QB with those picks, but that would be a part of the whole Plan B thing.  

plan-b.jpg

The same front office that was willing to pick up a $16M option for RG3 after one of the worst seasons (for a QB) in franchise history was unwilling to pay Kirk more than $16M at the end of last year after one of the best seasons (for a QB) in franchise history.  Fine.  You wanted him to prove that he was actually good.  Well, it's 2016 and he nearly passed for 5,000 yards, was #3 in footballoutsiders' DYAR ranking (highest by a Redskins QB since 1991), #4 in ANY/A (highest by a Redskins QB since 1991), etc. This is the next Drew Brees.  He fell into your lap, and you're going to let him walk?  And you don't have a Philip Rivers sitting in the wing - instead, you've got a guy:

1. Whose career record is 7-18 (Kirk's career record is 19-21-1)

2. Who has fumbled 19 times and thrown 23 interceptions compared to just 28 combined passing/rushing TDs (Kirk 24 fumbles and 42 interceptions compared to 81 TDs)

3. Who has suffered a multi-game injury in each of the 3 seasons where he has started at least 1 game (Kirk has never missed a single snap due to injury)

If this is the FO's actual plan, if I don't quit watching the Skins altogether, I will start hate-watching them again like I did during the non-Cousins portion of 2014.

To think, 25 years of Heath Shuler, Tony Banks, Danny Wuerffel, Patrick Ramsey, ancient Brunell, Jason Campbell, ancient McNabb, John FRICKING Beck, and RG3 who finally threw his first TD of the year in the last game of the season this week...if we let Cousins walk, it will actually be the worst move of all.

THAT BEING SAID...

If you let Cousins walk, the only acceptable option is Romo.  None of this trading Cousins for a 1st round pick and Goff, or a first round pick and Bortles...those guys are just healthier versions of Mccoy.  If you can't get Romo, you put a blank check in front of Brian Hoyer.

We're screwed either way. We aren't winning long term with Kirk and we aren't winning with Colt. Whether anyone on this forum believes it or not, we've been Fools Gold for sometime now, and it's time to wise up and blow it up. We aren't going to the Superbowl w/ Kirk Cousins.

If Kirk does indeed walk, I would have an open comp w/ Nate/Colt, do whatever this season/Tank and start fresh w/ a new coach and new QB. Focus on building the defense in the next year and a half so whichever new QB comes in won't be handcuffed by an inept defense.

6 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

The same front office that was willing to pick up a $16M option for RG3 after one of the worst seasons (for a QB) in franchise history was unwilling to pay Kirk more than $16M at the end of last year after one of the best seasons (for a QB) in franchise history.  Fine.  You wanted him to prove that he was actually good.  Well, it's 2016 and he nearly passed for 5,000 yards, was #3 in footballoutsiders' DYAR ranking (highest by a Redskins QB since 1991), #4 in ANY/A (highest by a Redskins QB since 1991), etc. This is the next Drew Brees.  He fell into your lap, and you're going to let him walk?  And you don't have a Philip Rivers sitting in the wing - instead, you've got a guy:

THAT BEING SAID...

If you let Cousins walk, the only acceptable option is Romo.  None of this trading Cousins for a 1st round pick and Goff, or a first round pick and Bortles...those guys are just healthier versions of Mccoy.  If you can't get Romo, you put a blank check in front of Brian Hoyer.

I agree with your post completely except for the bolded part.  Romo has had severe injuries the last two times he started a game.  I don't trust that he can make it through four consecutive games, never mind a full season.

Romo is NOT an option:

1) He's old

2) He's now injury prone

3) He's under contract to our arch-rival

So we get an old injury prone quarterback with a cap hit of roughly equivalent to what Cousins will get + we give up a draft pick(s)....SIGN ME UP...smh

Archived