Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Cousins for picks, draft QB???

Boss_Hogg

Trade Franchised Cousins for picks and draft a QB???  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Cousins (if franchised) for picks and draft a QB???

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

If Kyle got the Broncos job no way he would just roll with Symien. Or the 49ers job.

Well, like I asked above...can a team who uses that specific type of franchise tag ask for less than 2 1sts or does it HAVE to be 2 1sts? If we can ask for less I can see someone giving us a 1st. If we can't ask for less then I can't see anyone giving up 2 1sts for Kirk.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, TheGreek1973 said:

you learned nothing from the RGIII trade did you.  LOL

I did not put the //Sarcasm tag on the end of the post, cause I didn't think I had to.... LOL

3 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

Well the idea that he's going to just walk is silly. The redskins are never going to let him walk out the door for nothing. The only way Kirk goes to another team is by a tag and trade. 

The idea of tagging and trading the best QB his franchise has ever had  is silly.

22 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Seriously.  This team was one very makeable FG away from being 9-7 and one damn sack away (against Detroit) from being 10-6.  How does that suck dude.  With a D that was 32nd in the league in 3rd down stops? 

Water torture?  I am sorry how many redskins QBs have you seen throw for over 4900 yards?  Some of you guys are just funny. LOL. 

But, but don't you see, we can rebuild the D with the money we save on Cousins, and get Jason Campbell or Brad Johnson to run the offense and with the WR's we have around them we will win the SB. Don't want to tie us down to a guy who can only throw for lots of yards, but not TD's.

I mean once we build a dominate D, we will dominate.

This fact that this is even a debate is stupid.

53 minutes ago, jbird said:

I did not put the //Sarcasm tag on the end of the post, cause I didn't think I had to.... LOL

The idea of tagging and trading the best QB his franchise has ever had  is silly.

Ever? Really? Good god dude this has to stop. 

Well I still feel like we almost have to sign him. However if Scot is as bold as I think he is. I think there is a chance he goes plan b on our ass and puts himself in hot water. With that being said I wanted to look at potential options...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Here is a list of upcoming free agents.

Kirk Cousins option A: This is our guy, right? We drafted him to be a plan b to Robert Griffin, we hit the jackpot in that sense. From 4th rounder to record breaking qb. However, he came up short in a wild card game last year vs the Packers. He also choked down the stretch this season in 2 huge games vs solid defenses. However most are on board with signing Kirk long term and letting him play this thing out. Hopefully the end of 2017 is more of a mix of two things, him not only being nervous because playoff berth was on the line, but also had put a lot of pressure on himself to perform for his own financial purpose . I believe that was the case and if he gets signed long term we will see a guy much more comfortable to go out there and zip it around (think bears game, packers game and even thanksgiving game). Another element to the Kirk situation is his upper hand in the contract negotiations. Kirk made it very clear that him and his agent are seeking a contract that makes up for a percentage appropriate for a franchise qb from year to year. This means a front loaded contract or one that is static over several seasons will most likely get declined. This is why I think Scot may let his own philosophy of not breaking the bank for one guy weigh heavy in the decision to sign Kirk or not.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: When Ryan has had a healthy oline, and weapons he has proven he can be a competent qb in this league. However remember last year vs the Bills in week 17? He choked bad. Not to mention his tremendous dip in performance this season. I don't think this season weighs squarely on Fitz's shoulders and I think he could perform in a Jay Gruden offense with the tools we can provide. I look at Fitzpatrick as a obvious downgrade from Kirk, he is streakier, and weaker armed. However his teammates seemingly enjoy playing with him, he has a competitive IT factor that I think can compare to Kirk. Not to mention he can probably be had for half the price of Kirk.

Case Keenum: I watched several games with Case, and the "Hard Knocks" program on HBO (Legit scouting source right lol?). Undersized, no deep ball, and gets shellshocked from games I have watched. However he is a timing and rhythm qb, games where he finds a weapon he can count on, he has performed well. Overall I would say Keenum is a good backup and a game managing starter, who if surrounded by elite talent could get you a playoff berth I would say he is a better qb than Osweiler, Semien, and comparable to maybe a Matt Moore. However I think Jay and Scot would never bet their careers on Keenum and this isn't an option.

Brian Hoyer: Hoyer is serviceable and can make "all the throws", Relies on a true number one receiver and could turn Doctson into someone special. He has good size and arm strength. While he was starting at Houston TE was a lot less relevant than it is now. He likes getting the ball downfield and hitting his outside receivers. But I think under Jay's tutelage he could take advantage of our offense and bank more on the middle of the field. Hoyer had a TERRIBLE game in the wildcard playoffs last season which killed his stock. He in my opinion, in our offense could be a 4k, 30td qb. He is a downgrade from Kirk, however is he could stay healthy I believe he could be a realistic option.

The rest of the free agent class in my option are career backups and non factors at starting for Washington.

The Longshot under contract guys.

Tony Romo: Not an option in my opinion but for hypothetical purposes, ill play along. Ok Tony Romo, we all know he is a gamer. He loves to take shots and extend plays. The past few seasons, his play making ability has declined and led to serious injurious in the back and collarbone.  If he can settle into his game and pull a Randal Cunningham to finish his career, he could be an option. A lot of the good things Tony Does happen after the designed play has broken down, that being said. Who is to believe he can thrive in a quick read offense such as ours? I also believe when he gets the opportunity to start again, his ego will get in the way of what is best for him (staying in the pocket, checking down, taking what the defense gives you). His ego would lead to him getting injured again, just my gut on Tony. Not to mention it would most likely require us giving draft picks up to get Tony, which as we know is against Scot's way of business.

Phillip Rivers: Rivers is a nice option, but once again would require a trade. If anything gets set in stone about the Chargers leaving San Diego, I believe there is a good chance Rivers would push for a trade. He brought it up last season. Rivers would be an upgrade to Kirk in my opinion. He has made the best of what he has had over the past several seasons. He has a few legit talented guys on that offense with Hunter Henry and Melvin Gordan, but his outside guys cant stay healthy and his defense cant stop anyone from scoring. I believe he is frustrated and wasting away in San Diego. Coming to a Redskins offense could rejuvenate him for a final push for a championship. The guy has fire comparable to Tom Brady.  However with all this being said, the narrative surrounding a Rivers to DC trade would be bad media and something our front office would want to avoid after 25 years of **** like this not panning out.

Jay Cutler: Smokin' Jay. We all know his story. He is the Jeff George of the current generation. Dude has a cannon, and when he plays inspired (rarely) he can ball. Way too much risk here. I would hate to see his mug in a redskins uni, this would be McNabb 2.0. Just a dude making some cash before he rides off. no thanks

This leaves the draft. I'm guilty of not watching a ton of College football this season but ill link some propsects and give the little I think

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php

decent description of some of the prospects

Kizer: I actually like this pick for us. There is a decent chance he falls to 17. He is athletic, accurate and knows when to tuck and run. I would compare him to Wilson. However, hes not a winner and that could be a red flag to his will and fire.

Watson: Athletic and mature. Accurate in the short game. Sometimes panics and makes poor decisions. Poor decisions include "**** it im going deep" type throws, extending plays and taking big hits, not sliding. If coached I think he is smart enough to DEVELOP into someone special. He could run our offense I believe but there would be growing pains.

Trubisky: He looked bad against a talented Stanford front. However they played lights out and gave him very little time to operate. He would be a big gamble and it probably best suited sitting behind a vet for a season or two. Talent is there however but the talent of the NFL defenses and learning curve of playing against them could be disastrous in a trial by fire.

Our best option right now is Kirk. Can Scot and Kirk's team reach an agreeable contract? Time will tell. but there are always options.

it's kinda crazy how the legend of Kirk has grown. 

10 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Phillip Rivers: Rivers is a nice option, but once again would require a trade. If anything gets set in stone about the Chargers leaving San Diego, I believe there is a good chance Rivers would push for a trade. He brought it up last season. Rivers would be an upgrade to Kirk in my opinion. He has made the best of what he has had over the past several seasons. He has a few legit talented guys on that offense with Hunter Henry and Melvin Gordan, but his outside guys cant stay healthy and his defense cant stop anyone from scoring. I believe he is frustrated and wasting away in San Diego. Coming to a Redskins offense could rejuvenate him for a final push for a championship. The guy has fire comparable to Tom Brady.  However with all this being said, the narrative surrounding a Rivers to DC trade would be bad media and something our front office would want to avoid after 25 years of **** like this not panning out.

I'm not 100% sold he would be an upgrade but man it would be fun to see what he could do if he had a competent OL and a wide array of weapons at his disposal. 

11 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

See 2006 chargers highlights.

I wouldn't say he had a plethora of weapons, but, true, he did have LT and Gates. Vincent Jackson was still very young, not starting and still developing. Hell, Eric Parker was the #1 receiver if that tells you anything. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I wouldn't say he had a plethora of weapons, but, true, he did have LT and Gates. Vincent Jackson was still very young, not starting and still developing. Hell, Eric Parker was the #1 receiver if that tells you anything. 

Didn't he have David Boston too?

Never mind he was with Tampa by then lol

their defense was good as well. But yea I think Rivers has proven to be a baller. He still has it too. Just needs some help

15 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Where is he projected to fall?  I seriously doubt he falls to us first round and if he does fall out of the first, he won't make it to us in round 2.  And I'm assuming you don't want to give up future picks to move up and take him?

15 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I'm not sure where he's projected to fall to, but I think pretty high, maybe like top 10? but a lot could happen between now and the 1st round. yes that is correct, I do not want to give up future draft picks to acquire him. we need all the picks we can get to fix this defense :rofl89:

I'd rather have Boulware...who I think I heard is a 2nd or 3rd rounder

If we cut bait on Cousins then my desire would be to design an offense around Tyrod Taylor.

If I couldn't do that I'm grabbing two of these guys from this list - Mike Glennon, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, Case Keenum - and holding an open competition for the starting and the backup job with Colt involved.

May the best man win.

Who ever played the best would be the starter. The player who was the 2nd best to me would become the backup. The guy who came in third would be cut.

The third spot for QB would go to the guy I draft this year because he is being red shirted his rookie season.

Then after one year I'm reviewing this, if the guy who won the starting job led the team to a winning record he stays the starter, the backup gets cut in year two only of the rookie shows after sitting for a year that he is getting it. If the rookie is struggling in year two then the backup stays.

If on the other hand the starter has a bad season I'm cutting him and looking at the young free agents and repeating this until I get it right.

IF they don't resign KC (which is my first choice), I would be all for giving Colt every opportunity to start next year (he knows the offense and has played well when given opportunity), draft a QB in rounds 1 or 2.  Colt is good enough to groom the rookie and be close to what Kirk brings and keep the offense running, I don't think he is better than Kirk, but I am not sure the drop off is that far between them.  I could be wrong though.

Please, Please, Please, just say no to Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, etc.  I would take Colt above any of them without question!

Just a hypothetical, say the Browns come calling with Cousins franchised.  

They offer their first overall pick, maybe even their second rounder as well?  Do you take that trade?  We'd be stacked on picks if we traded down our original first rounder for multiple seconds to help address the defense.  Are any of these rookie QBs this year, like Watson, worthy of the risk?  I'd rather keep Cousins, but am open-minded if the right offer comes along, say from the Jets or the Cardinals.

Mind you, we don't have to draft a QB this year if we did this hypothetical trade, so keep that in mind.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Pretty sure this didn't need its own thread.

With that being said, I don't think Cleveland is looking QB at the moment TBH. I think they were happy with what they saw from Kessler and will probably want to address other problem areas (everywhere). 

I might have to disagree if we still can't get a deal ironed out with Cousins this offseason.  Its not like we can franchise him again.

Again, hypothetical. Can have fun with it, but entirely possible.

10 minutes ago, chrisxcore said:

Not a single QB in this draft impresses me. Not a single one.

Let alone one to replace a young QB who is setting franchise records left and right (though admittedly still has much room for improvement.)

I'm sticking with Kirk.

That's more then fair.

Archived