Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Disappointing Sequel/Prequel/Follow-Up Movie EVER?

elkabong82

Inspired by the Star Wars thread and one poster's question about the prequels vs. the Matrix sequels.

In your opinion, what is the absolute worst movie that is a sequel, prequel, or follow-up in a movie franchise?

Some qualifiers:

1. The original has to be legitimately very good. Otherwise, if the first was bad then everyone expects the 2nd to be bad.

2. People believed it could be good before it was released.

3. No re-makes.Those aren't sequels. A follow-up many years later, however, is acceptable.

IMO the bigger the fall off, the bigger the hype, the bigger the disappointment. 

Dumb and Dumberer was the first thing that came to mind. Dumb and Dumber was arguably the funniest movies of the 90s. The follow up had different actors  and I guess is considered a prequel. It was flat out awful. A lot of comedy sequels are not as funny or as good as their original. I think Dumb and Dumber To, which was released a few years ago, fits that category. Funny, but not as funny or as good as the original. But Dumb and Dumberer was a pretty massive drop off in both hilariousness and quality of a movie from the original. 

For me, I think I do have to go with that 4th Indiana Jones movie, I refuse to mention it's title.

Phantom Menace is definitely a top contender, but it at least had some Star Wars die-hards defending it.

Indiana Jones was great for 1 and 3 and even the 2nd one is enjoyable, but man oh man that 4th one was AWFUL! So bad that it may have destroyed the franchise. At least they kept going with the prequels and made something mediocre by the 3rd one with Star Wars. 

Th 4th IJ was abysmal though. Shia swinging on vines, the whole family along for the adventure so nobody is ever in any actual real danger, aliens, the nuclear-proof fridge, I feel awful just typing about it. Blech!

9 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Dumb and Dumberer was the first thing that came to mind. Dumb and Dumber was arguably the funniest movies of the 90s. The follow up had different actors  and I guess is considered a prequel. It was flat out awful. A lot of comedy sequels are not as funny or as good as their original. I think Dumb and Dumber To, which was released a few years ago, fits that category. Funny, but not as funny or as good as the original. But Dumb and Dumberer was a pretty massive drop off in both hilariousness and quality of a movie from the original. 

But wasn't that expected?  I think that's a huge factor in 'disappointment'.  Sure, it was a trash movie, but with the giant layoff and random lead casting, everyone knew it'd be dirt.

4 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

But wasn't that expected?  I think that's a huge factor in 'disappointment'.  Sure, it was a trash movie, but with the giant layoff and random lead casting, everyone knew it'd be dirt.

To a point it was to be expected. But I don't know if anyone thought it would be that bad. 

14 minutes ago, clietas said:

Pretty much any of the Jaws sequels. Jaws eats kids, a helicopter, plus sailboats. Jaws eats Sea World. Jaws follows Roy Scheiders wife n kids to the Bahamas, eats a plane, and Mario Van Peebles. :ols:

That was what I was going to say. :806:

The original "Jaws" directed by Steven Spielberg was magnificent. They steadily got worse. All the way down to "Jaws: The Revenge".

Which had a shark that could read the Brody family's minds and would signal to them when they were on the beach with his fin. Yeesh. :wtf:

Godfather III.. really needed to not be made at all. The first two are masterpieces on their own, let alone as the entire story.

Batman Dark Knight rises (the one with Bane) was an atrocious movie. Most of it made no sense in terms of how the plot went along, character motivations all of it seemed terribly disjointed and ultimately over-apocalyptic.

Any of the Burton Batmans after the first, and the first was no prize. All 3 of the others are increasingly campy and ridiculous.

1983 Redskins Raiders II. the first game was the best game I ever saw,, awesome. The second one was ****ing horrible.

Star Wars episode 1 and 2..   1 i have had to watch 3 times to get through it. Bad story, bad characters, terrible acting, horrible effects(Oh, a big monster chasing us underwater just got eaten by a bigger monster that chases us to get eaten by ANOTHER bigger monster while Liam Neeson wobbles around like a Star Trek actor when the ship was going through some space turbulence. ****ing awful. Episode 3 was no prize either.

Highlander 2.. holy crap what a turd. The first one is an all time favorite.. the second one.. what the **** is that?

Dirty Debutantes 23: Really doesn't do anything to advance the plot from the first 22 

Zoolander II. I admit it, i was warned. And i still feel gypped. I still dream of what I might have done with the 20 bucks that I used to get my wife and I in to see that thing. My reasoning? "All the critics said the last one sucked, too, and it was funny!"

Oy.

~Bang

Highlander II:  The Quickening 

No other sequel is even close imo.  Die hard Highlander fans (like myself) ignore it's existence.  Hell, so did the writers/directors/etc.  cause when III came out, it was like II never existed in the story timeline. It was the dumbest sequel in the history of sequels.  

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Godfather III.. really needed to not be made at all. The first two are masterpieces on their own, let alone as the entire story.

Batman Dark Knight rises (the one with Bane) was an atrocious movie. Most of it made no sense in terms of how the plot went along, character motivations all of it seemed terribly disjointed and ultimately over-apocalyptic.

Any of the Burton Batmans after the first, and the first was no prize. All 3 of the others are increasingly campy and ridiculous.

1983 Redskins Raiders II. the first game was the best game I ever saw,, awesome. The second one was ****ing horrible.

Star Wars episode 1 and 2..   1 i have had to watch 3 times to get through it. Bad story, bad characters, terrible acting, horrible effects(Oh, a big monster chasing us underwater just got eaten by a bigger monster that chases us to get eaten by ANOTHER bigger monster while Liam Neeson wobbles around like a Star Trek actor when the ship was going through some space turbulence. ****ing awful. Episode 3 was no prize either.

Highlander 2.. holy crap what a turd. The first one is an all time favorite.. the second one.. what the **** is that?

Dirty Debutantes 23: Really doesn't do anything to advance the plot from the first 22 

Zoolander II. I admit it, i was warned. And i still feel gypped. I still dream of what I might have done with the 20 bucks that I used to get my wife and I in to see that thing. My reasoning? "All the critics said the last one sucked, too, and it was funny!"

Oy.

~Bang

LOL, that's the one I just posted.   Even the writers and everyone just "ignored" it's existence and made III like it was the sequel to II.  That alone should win the thread.

Archived