Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Disappointing Sequel/Prequel/Follow-Up Movie EVER?

elkabong82

Highly underrated: Star Wars Phantom Menace, Alien 3, Predator 2

Most disappointing: Spiderman 3, Matrix Reloaded.

Easy to forget the Spiderman 3 hype because The Dark Knight was so great but before both came out Spiderman was going to be the dark, gritty, black-suit/venom, superhero movie we all wanted. Heath seemed pretty suspect, like we might get a campy joker.

Spiderman 3 ****ing SUCKED though. Worst Ever.

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Love the ending to T3.  The cemetery scene is money too.

Yeah the ending is haunting and impactful. I loved how that played out but still, most of the movie was so cartoonish with that cheesy villainess. 

The cemetary scene was cool to watch but it was already underwhelming to start with how they explained the omission of Sarah Connor, a true movie LEGEND.

T3's tone was overall just so bland and almost an unintentional mockery of what the series was built on. It will always be the most disappointing, if not the worst for me. John was miscast and Claire Danes did not make for a great companion for John, she did not connect emotionally as a character.

I want to also say that Predator 2 is massively underrated and still a blast to watch. The only connective tissue to the first really is the creature itself but the scene when Glover discovers the space craft is drool inducing and a top moment for sci fi mythos is general, expanding the lore of two of the best movie alien species ever.

2 hours ago, Mooka said:

Easy to forget the Spiderman 3 hype because The Dark Knight was so great but before both came out Spiderman was going to be the dark, gritty, black-suit/venom, superhero movie we all wanted. Heath seemed pretty suspect, like we might get a campy joker.

Reason Aliens 3 is so made is you have to take into account the story-line it set up  Aliens 3 wrecked any chance the following sequels had to be any good.  Best thing for that franchise is to drop that Aliens 3 ever happened which I think is what they did for the next movie.   (Give props to the new Star Trek movies for this concept in the way they eliminated the next Generation)

Speaking of which Star Trek V can be definitely added to this thread. 

2 hours ago, Mooka said:

Man i remember when the Symbiote Spider-Man tease poster dropped on the interwebs my last year of hs. I never marked harder for a movie in my life. That was my most favorite story arc.

And they ruined me... Freaking ruined me for life.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Can't believe we've made it this far without discussing X-Men 3.  What a POS that was.

Damn movie broke my heart. I had been clamoring for Gambit, Colossus, and Juggernaut, and they just toss them into a meh blender with all the other first timers like Jubilee, Beast, Angel, and Multiple Man

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

Reason Aliens 3 is so made is you have to take into account the story-line it set up  Aliens 3 wrecked any chance the following sequels had to be any good.  Best thing for that franchise is to drop that Aliens 3 ever happened which I think is what they did for the next movie.   (Give props to the new Star Trek movies for this concept in the way they eliminated the next Generation)

Yeaaa, im using alotta hindsight with alien 3. It is pretty terrible for the alien series. It certainly wasnt originally marketed as a prison drama, which is really what it is.

My inner nerd says that a scifi prison movie with alien characters is a cool concept though.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

As bad as Aliens 3 was, they somehow did even worse with Aliens 4.

I'm surprised Ron Perlman and Gary Dourdan were still able to go on and have successful independent careers

Point was that it was Aliens 3's fault. Not much the script writers could do unless they pulled the Aliens 3 never happened and that is why Aliens 3 is the worst of the Aliens movies it semi wrecked the franchise (Pending what happens next year)

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You're wrong. 

Would you prefer awful? The fight scene at the end was like the never ending runway scene in fast n furious 6. Superman finally decides to kill Zod only when he is about to kill the humans in the building after already killing millions in the city. Yeah, that was terrible. 

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Would you prefer awful? The fight scene at the end was like the never ending runway scene in fast n furious 6. Superman finally decides to kill Zod only when he is about to kill the humans in the building after already killing millions in the city. Yeah, that was terrible. 

I feel like you're understating the horridness of that movie.

Major League 2. 

I liked the movie, but 1 was the first rated R adult type of movie I was allowed to see and it stuck with me. So a few years later they came back with the sequel, which was PG-13, kinda cheesy and formulaic. Too many obnoxious set piece gags, too much Charlie Sheen love interest dreck and it didn't have Wesley Snipes. 

It it was still decent (Randy Quaid!) but I remember being bitterly disappointed. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Damn movie broke my heart. I had been clamoring for Gambit, Colossus, and Juggernaut, and they just toss them into a meh blender with all the other first timers like Jubilee, Beast, Angel, and Multiple Man

Oh snap...is your moniker based on Mister Sinister ? 

Never considered that as a reason until you brought up Multiple Man. 

2 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Major League 2. 

I liked the movie, but 1 was the first rated R adult type of movie I was allowed to see and it stuck with me. So a few years later they came back with the sequel, which was PG-13, kinda cheesy and formulaic. Too many obnoxious set piece gags, too much Charlie Sheen love interest dreck and it didn't have Wesley Snipes. 

It it was still decent (Randy Quaid!) but I remember being bitterly disappointed. 

Yeah, it was bad. The only thing I liked about it was it was filmed in Bowie and Baltimore. So I knew a couple of guys who were extras on the teams. I also had a few friends that were able to go to the filming to play crowd members. They told me how they made it look like more people were there and how they moved them around for different shots, etc. But as far as the movie itself, you are right about everything. The only thing worse was Major League 3, which aside from the crappy story used computer generated hits and throws which were just awful. 

Archived