Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Disappointing Sequel/Prequel/Follow-Up Movie EVER?

elkabong82

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Predator 2

I think Predator 2 is underrated.  Like it actually.  Definitely not the most disappointing follow-up.  Not as ferocious and visceral as the original, but you'd need prime Arnie and a great supporting cast-performance to match it.  It wasn't even close to being there, and the movie was still good.  I can see it being terribly disappointing from a casting standpoint, but it's a pretty good movie.

6 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I think Predator 2 is underrated.  Like it actually.  Definitely not the most disappointing follow-up.  Not as ferocious and visceral as the original, but you'd need prime Arnie and a great supporting cast-performance to match it.  It wasn't even close to being there, and the movie was still good.  I can see it being terribly disappointing from a casting standpoint, but it's a pretty good movie.

In all honesty it's been like 20 years since I last saw it, but I just remember Predator killing people in the hood, and Gary Busey running around in aluminum foil. But I've seen Predator so many times that 2 just seems like a massive step down

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

In all honesty it's been like 20 years since I last saw it, but I just remember Predator killing people in the hood, and Gary Busey running around in aluminum foil. But I've seen Predator so many times that 2 just seems like a massive step down

It isn't, but it's a couple steps down.  That's not terrible.  Give it another chance.  Busey gets wrecked.  Fun times.  Tits at the beginning. 

6 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

Inspired by the Star Wars thread and one poster's question about the prequels vs. the Matrix sequels.

In your opinion, what is the absolute worst movie that is a sequel, prequel, or follow-up in a movie franchise?

Some qualifiers:

1. The original has to be legitimately very good. Otherwise, if the first was bad then everyone expects the 2nd to be bad.

2. People believed it could be good before it was released.

3. No re-makes.Those aren't sequels. A follow-up many years later, however, is acceptable.

IMO the bigger the fall off, the bigger the hype, the bigger the disappointment. 

Although I personally think it gets more hate than it deserves many would agree with this one...

Image result for die hard 2

Other honorable mentions:

Any of the Highlander sequels.

The Next Karate Kid

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The Matrix Reloaded

Prometheus

Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo

Prometheus was not without flaws but was pretty good. It expanded on some of the alien universe and also posed some interesting questions that weren't posed in the original alien movies. It was polished and had good acting. Don't think it belongs anywhere near this list. 

Post terminator 2 movies were pretty bad compared to the first two.

Anchorman 2 was terrible.

The Matrix movies were a big let down. 

I got first dibs on Blade Runner 2 (oh sorry 2049)... best sci-fi movie will easily be ruined by 70s grumpy era Harrison Ford and thanks for showing up and playing your Drive character Gosling.  With typical uninspired contemporary art direction using wide shots and "epic" views of stuff that didn't have to be showcased since it oozed off the screen worrying about the actual story the first time.   Why does Gosling walk up to giant statue head in a desert?  Didn't Charlton Heston already have the giant statue walk-up covered in Planet of the Apes 50 years ago?  Don't forget the color correction in post.  Post 2000 Hollywood will never fail to unimpress.

Other than that, American Psycho 2.

13 hours ago, Destino said:

In no particular order, I can't choose one:

Independence Day 2

Transformers Age of Extinction.  

Batman and Robin

Excorcist 2

Son of the Mask

Spider-Man 3

For me, there's a difference between a bad sequel and a disappointing one. To be disappointing, I had to think it was gonna be good to start with.  Basically the OP's #2 qualifier.  Can't say I or anybody else had expectations for a Jim Carrey-less Son of the Mask that the movie didn't reach.  I had NO expectations for it. It was DOA garbage the moment they decided to do it. lol  of those, I think Spider-Man 3 was the only one I expected to be good that wasnt and I ended up disappointed.

That said, Batman Returns was rather disappointing coming off the first one.  By the time Batman and Robin came out, I knew that one was gonna be garbage. And then the trailer and everything about it lowered expectations.  But I still had high hopes about the franchise when the 2nd one came out.

But the answer will always be The Phantom Menace. 

7 hours ago, Ron78 said:

Although I personally think it gets more hate than it deserves many would agree with this one...

Image result for die hard 2

I don't know where you get the idea people don't like Die Hard 2.  Die Hard 2 was awesome.  

13 hours ago, Bang said:

Godfather III.. really needed to not be made at all. The first two are masterpieces on their own, let alone as the entire story.

I knew someone would bring this one up. Sure it's not at the same level as the first two, but it is still a decent movie. 

One not mentioned...American Pie 2

No it isn't.

The thread was most disappointing to boot, so when those came out having to deal with a ****ty Terminator movie wasn't such a bummer. Salvation was barely even a Terminator movie to me but yeah I was cold leaving the theater for that one. It's impossible to take actor Arnold seriously now, which has been the case since he returned to movies. Genisys was a B type movie with some very satisfying fan service moments so I like it better than most.

10 minutes ago, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

No it isn't.

The thread was most disappointing to boot, so when those came out having to deal with a ****ty Terminator movie wasn't such a bummer. Salvation was barely even a Terminator movie to me but yeah I was cold leaving the theater for that one. It's impossible to take actor Arnold seriously now, which has been the case since he returned to movies. Genisys was a B type movie with some very satisfying fan service moments so I like it better than most.

Love the ending to T3.  The cemetery scene is money too.

8 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Yo......you need to step off son.  Highlander III was money.  It's II we die-hards forget happened........... :D

Highlander III was awful.  I think people were just relieved it wasn't Highlander II.

Archived