Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Team store is an embarassment

Tsailand

2 hours ago, zoony said:

I took the OP more as an indictment of craptastic merchandising by the Team, not of RGIII

But interesting to note the usual suspects still not moving on lol

Nah, when he said "there is no more money to be made from certain products", he meant the market for those products is no longer there....not that those products never had a market to begin with because they were so craptastic lol...

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Nah, when he said "there is no more money to be made from certain products", he meant the market for those products is no longer there....not that those products never had a market to begin with because they were so craptastic lol...

I've read your response a few times and I truly do not understand what it is you are trying to say. 

Regardless, let's define what merchandising means for purposes of this discussion, since I think your response centered around that part of my post

"display of products in such a way that stimulates interest and entices customers to make a purchase” that is at the heart of online merchandising."

I think the OP provided a clear example of what ineffective, awful, (embarrassing?) online merchandising looks like. I didn't see the OP as trashing that player directly, and I'm confused as to why some would. Actually I'm not confused. We all know exactly why. 

FTR, I remember several complaints on ES about the team trying to dump Champ Bailey and Lavar Arrington jerseys

7 minutes ago, zoony said:

I've read your response a few times and I truly do not understand what it is you are trying to say. 

Regardless, let's define what merchandising means for purposes of this discussion, since I think your response centered around that part of my post

"display of products in such a way that stimulates interest and entices customers to make a purchase” that is at the heart of online merchandising."

I think the OP provided a clear example of what ineffective, awful, (embarrassing?) online merchandising looks like. I didn't see the OP as trashing that player directly, and I'm confused as to why some would. Actually I'm not confused. We all know exactly why. 

FTR, I remember several complaints on ES about the team trying to dump Champ Bailey and Lavar Arrington jerseys

Again considering that the OP says directly "there is no more money to be made from certain products", he's saying 2 things:

1) There used to be money to be made from 'certain products'--which means, there used to be a market for those "certain products"

2) These same products won't make anymore money for the Redskins--which means, there is no longer a market for "certain products"

If this is not about Griffin, then we should be able to remove Griffin from the equation and have the OP still make sense. If we do that, then the OP is saying there is "no more money to be made" from:

• Redskins shot glasses
  • Redskins posters
  • Redskins pennants
  • Redskins decals
  • Redskins Fatheads

Anyone really believe that? lol...Is that what you're thinking the OP is saying?

Not to mention, if it was just a question of better "merchandising", then why on earth would he reach the conclusion that there was "no more money to be made" from these products? Wouldn't better merchandising lead to more money to be made from these items? lol...As well as, the "display of products" in the photo was based on the OP's filter choices. And lastly, what exactly was so ineffective, awful and embarrassing about the display of merchandising to purchase in that pic? If it's not about Griffin, then what is it based on?

3 hours ago, zoony said:

I took the OP more as an indictment of craptastic merchandising by the Team, not of RGIII

That is what I meant. 

I am not a fan of that player, but if the organization was (for example) somehow still moving his jerseys at 50% off, I wouldn't blame them for continuing to make money on that.  However, that is not what is going on here.  They have a bunch of garbage knickknacks discounted 75%, 90%, 97%, all down to a dollar or two.  Even at that price, they cannot be selling many (or any?).  The tiny amount of money they might be making on this is not worth the potential embarrassment.

Honestly, if the Redskins were 3-8 right now, someone would already have done a story about this.  This is the advantage of being good, the media have to give the "Redskins are inept and embarrassing" narrative a rest.

PS: feel free to buy your girlfriend 95 cent RG3 earrings for Christmas, see how far that gets you.

11 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

That is what I meant. 

I am not a fan of that player, but if the organization was (for example) somehow still moving his jerseys at 50% off, I wouldn't blame them for continuing to make money on that.  However, that is not what is going on here.  They have a bunch of garbage knickknacks discounted 75%, 90%, 97%, all down to a dollar or two.  Even at that price, they cannot be selling many (or any?).  The tiny amount of money they might be making on this is not worth the potential embarrassment.

Honestly, if the Redskins were 3-8 right now, someone would already have done a story about this.  This is the advantage of being good, the media have to give the "Redskins are inept and embarrassing" narrative a rest.

PS: feel free to buy your girlfriend 95 cent RG3 earrings for Christmas, see how far that gets you.

You act as though no one but the redskins do this....

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

If I met a girl in a bar wearing Redskins earrings, though, she would instantly gain a few extra points in my book lol...

I was going to write something about what you should expect if you meet a girl in a bar and she's wearing Cowboys earrings, but then I remembered this is a family site.  So I'll just say that you would want the bar to have an unlit area in the parking lot...

2 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I was going to write something about what you should expect if you meet a girl in a bar and she's wearing Cowboys earrings, but then I remembered this is a family site.  So I'll just say that you would want the bar to have an unlit area in the parking lot...

I would say "ya know Debbie did Dallas...what do you do?"

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'd imagine there is still a market for these items with both sides, as I can see the scorned folks throwing a 10 jersey on their shooting targets and the other side still proudly wearing them.

I still wear my 10 jersey.  They aren't cheap so once I get one I plan on wearing it for years to come.  The only one I won't wear anymore is my Aaron Hernandez one, for obvious reasons. :(

12 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't know what's up with our DB's.  Breeland really looked like a star in the making.  I thought we were going to have another Green/Bailey (or maybe 9/10 of that) when we signed Norman, but our secondary has just continuously disappointed outside of Norman.  Fuller was a first-rounder if not for his injury, so that's three really good corners we should have, but we just have one right now.

I hope, aside from Barry, we look at another DB's coach in the offseason.

Yeah, I've been high on Breeland from the get go, but he's having a strange year.

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This might have been asked already, I didn't read through all 4 pages.

Sit him for who?

The only option I saw mentioned was moving Norman or Breeland to the slot and bringing Toler or Dunbar in to play outside.  

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

Breeland blows my mind, as well. They say CB is one of the most "confidence"-based positions, and I think we're seeing that play out with him this season. 

Hopefully he works his way out of it. Seemed like he had going into the Dallas game as he strung a few solid performances together before that. 

That's a good call.  It was strange to see him with those 3 pass breakups vs Dallas because he didn't turn his head around for any of them - and all 3 looked on border of being penalties (at least one should have been IMO).  

The confidence thing is a big part part of my theory (guess really) as to why he looks off this year.  Confidence could have taken a hit when we signed Norman, could have overinflated this offseason (so many reports talking about how good the D was going to be), taken a hit vs Pittsburgh, and (again) when Norman started following receivers.

I think Breeland was our best receiver last year and I have to wonder if the addition of Norman has lead to him being targeted more than he was last year.  

Are we seeing less push up the middle this year (Hatcher had quite a few pressures/hurries last year) resulting in more time/comfort for qbs? 

Whatever the cause, I'm not as comfortable going forward with Breeland as a starter as I was this past offseason.  Hopefully he gets his mojo back and we get some help in other areas.  

23 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

The only option I saw mentioned was moving Norman or Breeland to the slot and bringing Toler or Dunbar in to play outside.

Yup, and like I've said, I don't think Norman going to the slot is truly an option. Breeland has shown he can do it well, so if anything it'd be him. But then, like you said, Dunbar/Toler go to the outside. 

So Barry either goes with Breeland to the slot with Dunbar/Toler on the outside (which he has this season, did so a bunch in the second half of the Vikings game), or he sticks with Fuller.

The former means more work in terms of personnel management during the game, which is exploitable via the no huddle and can lead to miscommunication, never mind how well Toler/Dunbar can play consistently. The latter means suffering through the development pangs of a rookie in the hopes that he improves and works through his issues.

I don't see a solution coming from the middle of our defense (ILBs and Safety play) to help out the slot. Personnel there is simply a problem and you just have to live with it for now. 

If we blitz, that means we're expecting our slot guy to cover on his own for the most part. If we don't and have the guys in the middle help out, they're not doing a good enough job and our line isn't getting to the QB consistently enough on their own. 

The defense has played its best against Olines that our Dline/OLBs could beat consistently (see Eagles game). Outside of that, they're going to have issues and I just don't see what exactly Barry can do. That's why I feel bad for the guy, personally.   

Wait, what thread are we in!? :ols: 

12 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Anyone else remember how Colt Brennan's stuff was still being sold over a year after we kicked him off the team?...Dude never threw a regular season pass for the Redskins, either. But the guy still had his fans, and they still bought his merchandise (drastically reduced, of course lol)...

This is what every NFL store around the league does.

Why must you pour salt on wounds of Cult of Colt fans. :(

Archived