Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016/2017 Winter Weather Thread

ixcuincle

I decided to buy a tarp today for my camper. I thought I'd be in Austin by now so sold the camper cover last Spring before I had the stroke, which has pushed out my timeline for getting out of here. 

Not looking forward to winter here in Alexandria.  Bah, humbug, winter!

my wedding anniversary is June 15.   several (many) years ago June 14, San Francisco had its hottest day on record.. not the hottest June 14th, the hottest temperatures ever recorded in the city.   It was somehwhere around 104  F, and dozens of people died, because most people in SF don;t have AC  (why bother, right?)

anyway... my wife and i had planned an anniversary picnic on China beach.  dusted off our shorts (which are never worn in SF)... and headed out for a day of wine, cheese and figs in the sun.

high temperature:  50F

<<cue to Mark Twain quote about summers in San Francisco...>>  

11 minutes ago, Ellis said:

Surprised this thread isn't blowing up. 

Word is southern VA is gonna get hit hard Saturday. 

What do the resident ES weather guru's suspect this storm will do?

I bet the storm slides northward of where it's currently tracking.  That's gut feeling only.  Of all the times we have been predicted to get slammed, only to wind up in a snow hole with all the precipitation north of us... just makes sense to me.

As it stands right now, I think Richmond is in line for 6" or so.

Tonights storm shouldn't be a big deal.

6 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Atlanta + Sleet = Armageddon

OMG.  The roads have a gazillion cars trying to get everywhere.  We do U-ies in the middle of the road anyway, but damn...it's cray out dar.

I drove over 285, and it was backed up in both directions at 3.  Took me 20 minutes to get out of the grocery store with 5 items.  Liquor store shelves were stocked, tho.:cheers:

One of those backwards-ass storm totals for the region. Almost always higher north and west of the city. Must be deep in the cold for Southern MD to be getting hit hard. They're usually in the green!

I could use a good snowstorm.  Been so long that this dusting in Tulsa had me making hot chocolate with marshmallows like a foot of snow was falling.  I need a couple years at the North Pole to offset this.

On 1/5/2017 at 0:11 PM, Springfield said:

I bet the storm slides northward of where it's currently tracking.  That's gut feeling only.  Of all the times we have been predicted to get slammed, only to wind up in a snow hole with all the precipitation north of us... just makes sense to me.

As it stands right now, I think Richmond is in line for 6" or so.

Tonights storm shouldn't be a big deal.

And tomorrows storm has slid northward as I suspected.

Metro area with a chance at 3+ out of it?  Would be a nice surprise.  Timing looks to be tomorrow morning to early afternoon.

Well, the Snowmageddon of Atlanta is, well, not much.  Except for the ice everywhere, not much snow here...northern parts of the state got theirs, tho.

Porch kitties' water was frozen solid in the bowl.  Don't know if I mentioned it, but about a month ago, hubby sent me to get a warming pad for the doghouse for them, even had to saw a bigger opening in the front just to fit it in (it was rigid, we both thought it was a flexible one)...and he smiles when he sees them going in and out, knowing they use it.  He's such a softie, even when he grumbles about "the cats out back".:ols:

It's snowing here in Alexandria, it's sticking to the roads. I was planning on taking something back to the store, staying home.

Have a freezer full of food, bought necessary supplies yesterday. 

Dancer was out long enough to just take care of business and run back in, with a couple of barks to let the neighbors know that it's snowing.

Currently snowing here in Northern Nevada but that's expected to change to rain later today,(here in the Valley anyway).  Winter in the high desert. Winter weather advisory followed by severe river flood warnings. That'll probably give way to more winter weather stuff early next week. In the meantime,foot to 2 feet of snow up in the hills that supposed to change to rain up to 9000 feet by Sunday. Already been some flooding from intense rain just a few days ago in some areas. We pretty much sold out of sandbags a few days ago and one local volunteer Fire Department was giving out sand. Local ranchers are being told to get the livestock up high and prepare for very possible major agricultural flooding.  Locals tell me last time this happened,(nearly 20 years ago to the day),all bridges in the area were closed and there was major flooding everywhere. Reno was a complete mess. We live outside the flood plains but I can see the boundary simply by walking down the street. Cresting and such expected to happen Monday morning. This could be interesting. 

Of course,this means a lot of this weather we'll be sending East after it gets done here. ;) 

Archived