Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016/2017 Winter Weather Thread

ixcuincle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This comes from a questionable looking site, so take it with a grain of salt:

Record cold coming to ‘almost entire USA’ – Low temperature records set to be SHATTERED

Cold Records are going to be SHATTERED! - “By the end of NEXT week, some states will be running 36 F BELOW NORMAL."

Meteorologist Paul Dorian of Vencore, Inc.: WIDESPREAD BLAST OF COLD AIR PLUNGES FROM ALASKA TO THE WESTERN US EARLY NEXT WEEK AND THEN EXPANDS INTO THE EASTERN US**

European-Model-28Nov16.png

While we end November on a warm note here in the eastern US, there are changes unfolding across the Northern Hemisphere that will likely bring a widespread very cold air mass into the US next week. This cold air mass is first going to arrive in Alaska this upcoming weekend with some spots in that state plunging to 40 degrees below zero and way below normal for early December. After that, the cold air dives into the western US during the first half of next week and then it’ll likely blast into the eastern US late next week.  In fact, by the time Saturday, December 10th rolls around, there may be colder-than-normal conditions all the way from Alaska to the southeastern US.  Beyond that, it looks like this colder pattern will indeed have some staying power as we move deeper into the month of December.

Click on the link for the full article

^

I love Frankie!  If you haven't heard his pronunciation of the state "Maryland" yet Mark, then I highly recommend you seek it out.

I haven't heard about anything long term except for that it's going to be cold.  I haven't really started paying attention yet though.  This area hasn't seen a valid December snow threat in years.

This was posted by Jason Samenow (chief meteorologist) in the "Opinion" section of the Capital Weather Gang.  He says the "record cold" is a flawed story that was "trumped up" by the Drudge Report. :)

In other words, "colder than normal" means it's not going be 70 degrees outside, like it was last week in northern Virginia.

... nationwide record cold not coming

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/12/01/earths-temperature-has-not-plunged-at-record-clip-and-nation-wide-record-cold-not-coming/?utm_term=.92e65dbd4e7d

Meteorologists and climatologists frequently confront bad information about their science on the Internet and elsewhere. It’s nothing new.

But in the past week, particularly egregious claims emerged that have been perpetuated by outlets with large audiences.

These two dubious and deceptive assertions must be dismantled:

1) The global land temperature has just experienced its biggest drop on record.

2) Record cold is predicted for most of the U.S. next week.

at least we're above zero this morning after -5 yesterday.  It's warmed up to 6.  :headbang:

32 minutes ago, justice98 said:

There used to be a certain charm that came with winter when I was young.  As I got older, that all went away.  Snow doesnt keep me from working, the energy bill to keep my house warm comes outta my own pocket, I just got no use for winter weather.

Truth!  

Archived