Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we give Trent Murphy some props??

Playaction2Sanders

Talk about the most unspoken player on these boards. With Kerrigan, we have 2 of the top 10 sack leaders in the league right on our roster.. Murphy has been tearing it up this year since being ask to bulk up, train for a new role, scratch that go and do what you did last year. Can we get some Murphy talk in here, or should I just call it " Michael Jackson/Trent Murphy is sitting on top of the world, just as long as he doesn't stay and Beverly Palms hotel, cause there's no ****** ALLOWED IN THERE!!!"

OK anyway, with him, Kerrigan, and where has Preston Smith been? Have defenses figured him out or just slide O-lines to his side, opening things up for Murphy? Anyway lets talk pressure..

We can't. Some fans were disappointed in him a couple years ago, so he's automatically a bust forever. It's not fair that a 22-year old needs a couple years in the league before producing at a high level. If he isn't an instant starter and immediately worthy of his draft status, ship him out for a conditional 7th round pick. 

2 hours ago, campfodder said:

Honestly he should've been playing like this a year ago.  We drafted him after a 15 sack season in college he was expected to produce.

C'mon man.  It takes time for some players.  Some guys in the same draft year are still trying to figure it out.

Kyle Van Noy is on his 2nd team already.

Marcus Smith didn't even record a tackle in his first season and has 10 tackles in his first 2+ years. 

They were both drafted before Murphy and have a combined 2.5 sacks in their stellar careers.

Let the negativity go!

I dont know what got into him, but I like it.  I definitely was not a fan before this season.  

43 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

He wasn't given the chance, he was mainly used on run downs.... he split time with Preston Smith who was excelling last year

He split time because Smith was excelling (late in the year at least) and he wasnt. It wasn't due to lack of opportunities.  The job was there to be had when Orakpo left, he just didnt grab it.

25 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

He's big as hell (to me, he's the player that stands out the most when I'm at the games), can rush the passer, and is ok against inside runs. He is VERY weak against outside runs though. I hope we can get another OLB, bulk him up, and go back to the plan of playing him at 3-4 DE.

He's really good at setting an edge and forcing backs back inside. It's probably the best part of his game.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I dont know what got into him

Read his blog. It's the other Murphy thread.

6 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We can't. Some fans were disappointed in him a couple years ago, so he's automatically a bust forever. It's not fair that a 22-year old needs a couple years in the league before producing at a high level. If he isn't an instant starter and immediately worthy of his draft status, ship him out for a conditional 7th round pick. 

So true.  Hell we may have done exactly that with Amerson.  :)

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

He's showing some burst this year, but no, not a fast twitch guy. 

I mean lets not go overboard with the "he's not pure athlete" angle, the guy had a 36 inch vertical at the Combine, that is some strong twitch muscles there... especially for a guy who is in the 260 pound range.  He may not be a super elite level athleticism, but he is in the rung just below.

No doubt he is putting it all together this year though, his pass rush move and strategy has improved for sure.

7 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

So true.  Hell he may have done exactly that with Amerson.  :)

I never wanted Amerson to leave in the first place. I stilI wish we had Lache Seastrunk & Brandon Jenkins

I love all the picks (I'm a Homer).  I just think Murphy should've been doing better sooner.  We didn't have a 1st Rounder Scott Campbell & Bruce Allen knew that so I was hoping for good things out the 2nd Rounder. 

And Murphy had amazing highlights so I wanted to see that on this level.

58 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Not to stew too long, but I still wish we had gone with the Smith/Murphy/Kerrigan package at the end against Detroit.  Too many fat bodies when we knew they were going to pass.

I guarantee you the coaches looked back at the tape and realized what you are saying made the most sense.  I don't know what the hell they were doing dropping ziggy hood into coverage was something an idiot would do.  Oh well.. for the most part our game was called well, but you are 100% right.

Yes he has been quite a pleasant surprise.  With the emergence of Preston last season I thought Murphy's future looked bleak here but kudos to him for emerging as one of our best players so far this season.  I hope he continues to get better and better at producing sacks and making plays.  Preston on the other hand is a mystery to me this year...seemed like alot of folks expected him to dominate this year but he has been invisible in the pass rush.

http://nflspinzone.com/2016/10/20/washington-redskins-dont-focus-preston-smiths-sack-totals/

Don't sweat Preston Smith, he is contributing and doing great. The sack numbers are down sure but he's causing the other team to go away from him which is leading to more sacks on the other side of the ball. I predict that with the success that Kerrigan has been having teams will have no choice but to go Preston's way and those sack numbers will go up.

Trent on the other hand man what a surprise! He started out slowly in college too but he got real good, if he finally has allowed the game to slow down for him then he will beast in this league going forward.

We have a great pass rush and all our guys are young and up and comers and not one mention of Junior. HTTR!

Archived