Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we give Trent Murphy some props??

Playaction2Sanders

24 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I am one who never doubted that Trent Murphy would become a very good football player.

It just took work for him and patience from us.

He did his part. Can't say the fans always did theirs. :) 

Not even through a position change and being asked to put 30 pounds jk? It's great seeing him produce, bottom line. 

28 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

I am one who never doubted that Trent Murphy would become a very good football player.

It just took work for him and patience from us.

He did his part. Can't say the fans always did theirs. :) 

This. I figured the kid would need some time to get into a rhythm. So many on this board were calling him garbage, and giving up on the kid so fast. He's coming along nicely though.

Always lovely to see a favorite ES targettm play well and do things so many claimed he couldn't do. 

Unfortunately, and as is often the case with a favorite ES targettm doing well, lessons are unlikely to be learned. 

:P;) 

He's at 6 sacks in 7 games. He should be on pace for the Pro Bowl if he continues at this rate. He showed some flashes last year and the year before, but I honestly wasn't expecting him to have so much production this season. Good job Bruce :)

5 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Always lovely to see a favorite ES targettm play well and do things so many claimed he couldn't do. 

Unfortunately, and as is often the case with a favorite ES targettm doing well, lessons are unlikely to be learned. 

:P;) 

You're a peach :P

And me, as one of his biggest defenders starts a great thread, with his blog, really explaining why he's doing so well and nobody cares. Now I get to see everyone asking questions that's were answered there, over and over. :ols:

Of course Murphy took a slightly different path. Watched his position be addressed high in the draft after only his first year, then slowly lost playing time to said rookie, then a position change, until an injury shifted him back and is now out playing everyone in both positions and earning his spot back.

I'd love to see other players earn a starting role, through performance, that may not have been showing enough so far this season.

7 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I am not saying I was wrong about Trent, but I will say that 2014 Trent is not the same guy as 2016 Trent and there was no way to guess that 2014 Trent would ever become 2016 Trent.  

It's not a guessing game, though. It is just a matter of hard work, dedication, and perseverance.

Murphy exuded all that.

The only problem was impatient fans that didn't want to give a young player time to get his pro legs under him.

However, these people better develop the patience. If they are serious about wanting the Redskins to be a "build through the draft" team, it will take patience for the time it takes for young draftees to get acclimated to the NFL.

Like Murphy did.

30 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

I am not saying I was wrong about Trent, but I will say that 2014 Trent is not the same guy as 2016 Trent and there was no way to guess that 2014 Trent would ever become 2016 Trent.  

But this is exactly what happens when you try to build your own talent instead of buying it in free agency.

Much like Jones right now, there will be growing pains, but if you truly want to build through the draft, those growing pains are part of the strategy.

19 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

But this is exactly what happens when you try to build your own talent instead of buying it in free agency.

Much like Jones right now, there will be growing pains, but if you truly want to build through the draft, those growing pains are part of the strategy.

I don't disagree.  But after 40 years as a Skins fan, I have seen many 2014 Trents that never become 2016 Trents.  What he has done is rare.  If Matt Jones is on the Skins in 3 years, it will be equally as rare.

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

I don't disagree.  But after 40 years as a Skins fan, I have seen many 2014 Trents that never become 2016 Trents.  What he has done is rare.  If Matt Jones is on the Skins in 3 years, it will be equally as rare.

Considering how big of a crapshoot the draft is, you're right that there are plenty of examples of guys never really stepping up/not making it.  OTOH, just in recent times, we've got Moses, Long, Murphy, Amerson and Paul outplaying expectations after some seasoning, so rare might be a bit strong.  Interesting to think that maybe organizational stability plays into this.

As TSO mentioned... we love to criticize and judge players before they've been given adequate time to prove themselves.

As is common for the 3-4, ends drop and add weight, significantly. 

Theory, we had him lose weight to be an OLB, and it just wasn't him. He was used to playing with more girth, which has presumed returned with the attempted switch back to end.

Of course, it could be those Murphy Dummies LLC

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

As is common for the 3-4, ends drop and add weight, significantly. 

Theory, we had him lose weight to be an OLB, and it just wasn't him. He was used to playing with more girth, which has presumed returned with the attempted switch back to end.

Of course, it could be those Murphy Dummies LLC

Hopefully this off season we can add some real depth on the outside and have him gain more weight to move inside again.  I really think he could make an even bigger impact there.

15 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Hopefully this off season we can add some real depth on the outside and have him gain more weight to move inside again.  I really think he could make an even bigger impact there.

I thought Scot would draft a DL early in the draft. Perhaps he didn't because he had an ace moving to the DL - Trent of course. 

I don't care where he plays as long as he is not in pass coverage.  I want him getting after the QB. 

3 hours ago, Area51 said:

Trent Murphy is playing/producing like how I expected Preston Smith to play.

Preston Smith is playing/producing like how I expected Trent Murphy to play.  

Crazy world, huh? ;) 

The thing is, Smith right now is probably where Murphy was last season. Doing a solid job, in general, but not quite yet the player the Redskins need him to be.

Smith will get there, I believe, but it is going to take some more time.

How about this. Preston too would be a better 4-3 end. The whole natural position thing. We make them lose weight, and then they are different rushers then the ones we became enamored with in the first place. 

It's probably not a coincidence Trent is playing better playing closer to his college weight. Is it that much a stretch to think its true? 

The 3-4 has to get those ends attacking at the snap. None of this dropping into coverage, faux lining up vs the slot. Even containment can get ugly early. It's just dumb to not have your best pass rushers you know, doing their thing.

7 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

No it won't be as rare. We have a legit GM. We have a coaching staff that has shown they'll prioritize the development of players. 

It's time fans recognized the past is in the past and stopped putting decades of organizational frustration on top of these people's heads. 

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Crazy world, huh? ;) 

The thing is, Smith right now is probably where Murphy was last season. Doing a solid job, in general, but not quite yet the player the Redskins need him to be.

Smith will get there, I believe, but it is going to take some more time.

I still believe Smith has the higher ceiling over Murphy. Which, to me, is extremely exciting to think about in terms of what it means for our defense moving forward with both of those guys. 

13 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

I still believe Smith has the higher ceiling over Murphy. Which, to me, is extremely exciting to think about in terms of what it means for our defense moving forward with both of those guys. 

I definitely agree that Smith has more upside than Murphy.

Smith knows how to get the QB, as his sack totals in 2015 show.

This season he is perfecting setting the edge, closing down running/escape lanes.

Once he is able to put both together and play by instinct, Smith should be an exciting, dynamic player. 

Archived