Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we give Trent Murphy some props??

Playaction2Sanders

22 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

Hopefully this off season we can add some real depth on the outside and have him gain more weight to move inside again.  I really think he could make an even bigger impact there.

Leave it to ES to say, "This guy is doing so well, we should make him change positions in the off-season."

I'll just continue to shake my head and never understand.

One less problem to deal with in the offseason.  I agree with leaving him on the line.  The production is there, and there's no doubt he's helped the D-line being in the rotation.  I wasn't high on him as OLB, but it looks like this where we should've left him all along (nothing wrong with admitting that).

5 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I definitely agree that Smith has more upside than Murphy.

Smith knows how to get the QB, as his sack totals in 2015 show.

This season he is perfecting setting the edge, closing down running/escape lanes.

Once he is able to put both together and play by instinct, Smith should be an exciting, dynamic player. 

Smith certainly seems the more athletic of the two. Interesting how the position (or view of the position) has changed in a year.

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nothing says props, like talking about how good his replacement will be. Lol

Lol, good point!  Even though it's his 3rd year, I feel that Murphy still has a lot of room to grow - he's split time quite a bit, had 2 or 3 different position coaches already, and his extracurricular work should pay off even more.

29 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

I'll be honest, I never saw this coming. The guy has basically been terrible up until this outstanding season he's having. That whole draft class is really starting to shine. Congrats to big Trent for becoming a stud. 

I agree about not seeing this coming, however I'd argue that while he was a below average pass rusher, he was a plus run stopper.  So I'd say maybe he was average (or below average if one were to, understandably, give more weight to the pass rushing aspect) rather than horrible.  

A perfect illustration of why we ought to give guys some time before passing any sort of final judgement, and why work ethic and character (and organizational stability) are important indicators/factors of potential improvement.  

Funny to me how much Murphy seems to align with Scot's vision of a 'football player', even though he was drafted BSM* (Before Scot McGlouhan).  

*[registered trademark]

35 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

The guy has basically been terrible up until this outstanding season he's having.

No he hadn't.

He had actually shown flashes in the pass rushing department, but one thing he consistently did well was set the edge and play physical against the run. 

That wasn't hard to see, but we have a terrible habit here of ignoring the qualities of players who aren't dominant, are struggling in one way or another, or aren't flashy in anything. 

He was never a bad player or a guy without potential. With how well he's playing right now, it's fair to be a bit surprised... but it's really not something that came out of nowhere. 

17 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

He had actually shown flashes in the pass rushing department, but one thing he consistently did well was set the edge and play physical against the run. 

They don't have sexy stats for setting the edge.  This is why I thought, like most, that adding some weight and moving inside would take advantage of what he does best.

I'm happy that Trent has found his footing, but I don't think it's fair to characterize this is as a product of regime change/player development.  The coaching staff was not impressed with his play at OLB, so they had him put on weight to try him out at a new position.  They only moved him back out of necessity.

I think most of the 'props' here should go to Trent.  He kept working and proved a lot of people wrong, and that includes the coaching staff.  

Let's hope he can keep it going.  We really need a win Sunday. :)  

44 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

No he hadn't.

That wasn't hard to see, but we have a terrible habit here of ignoring the qualities of players who aren't dominant, are struggling in one way or another, or aren't flashy in anything. 

He was never a bad player or a guy without potential. With how well he's playing right now, it's fair to be a bit surprised... but it's really not something that came out of nowhere. 

You just enjoy arguing with me about everything TSO lol. 

From what I saw, he was bad. He overpursued on run plays, got washed out quite a bit and basically had no pass rush moves whatsoever. Obviously this was from watching the game and not checking the all-22 so I could be wrong. 

With that said he's been a completely different player this year. Maybe that's because teams are putting more of an effort into stopping Preston Smith or maybe Trent just became a more explosive player. Whatever it is he's developed into what appears to be a stud and hopefully that's something the two of us can agree on...

51 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I agree about not seeing this coming, however I'd argue that while he was a below average pass rusher, he was a plus run stopper.  So I'd say maybe he was average (or below average if one were to, understandably, give more weight to the pass rushing aspect) rather than horrible.  

A perfect illustration of why we ought to give guys some time before passing any sort of final judgement, and why work ethic and character (and organizational stability) are important indicators/factors of potential improvement.  

Funny to me how much Murphy seems to align with Scot's vision of a 'football player', even though he was drafted BSM* (Before Scot McGlouhan).  

*[registered trademark]

They did use Scots scouting services for that draft so maybe he was the reason they picked him...

1 hour ago, Taylor703 said:

You just enjoy arguing with me about everything TSO lol. 

You keep giving me things to argue about with you. :ols: 

Believe me, I'm not seeking you out. But I still will stick to my assessment of you having a bad habit of writing people off and assuming you've got their career down. You're outspoken about it, not my fault. ;) 

And we definitely both agree about your last statement there. I guess my main emphasis here is for Skins fans to get more into the habit of enjoying the process of development for these players by honing in on possible improvements instead of constantly looking for their faults and posting about them while writing them off. 

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I'm happy that Trent has found his footing, but I don't think it's fair to characterize this is as a product of regime change/player development.  The coaching staff was not impressed with his play at OLB, so they had him put on weight to try him out at a new position.  They only moved him back out of necessity.

I don't know, brother, that seems contradictory. I think a part of player development is coaches seeing what they excel at and trying to put them in a position to do more of that thing. 

Joe Barry said this past offseason, regarding his position change, that Trent is best moving forward and that's what they're trying to do with him. Him going back to OLB didn't really change that, considering how we have him playing the position. 

20 hours ago, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

I think the reason he is excelling is because he is no longer being put in terrible situations by the scheme.

"Hey, Trent, you're our least athletic player, go cover the flat in case their shiftiest player catches it out of the backfield. That will work!!!." - Joe Barry

I can understand that argument, but at the same time, as a coach I would like to have players that can play anything on the field. Not saying they have to play like HoF status whatever they are asked, but at least look decent and give effort even if you're not supposed to do what you're the best at for a play or two.

Not being surprised by Trent Murphy seemingly coming together this year, always liked the kid and really proud of him. Really pleased to see him makes so many around saying that they wrongly wrote him off years ago.

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

They don't have sexy stats for setting the edge.  This is why I thought, like most, that adding some weight and moving inside would take advantage of what he does best.

I think most of the 'props' here should go to Trent.  He kept working and proved a lot of people wrong, and that includes the coaching staff.  

Let's hope he can keep it going.  We really need a win Sunday. :)  

This is an oversimplification and ignores the fact that they moved him up because they felt that between RK, Smith's strong finish last season, and JR Galette coming back they had OLB covered but they liked Murphy in terms of potential and they needed help on the line. When JR went down again, that's when they moved him back out of necessity. Also, what we do not know is he may have excelled at Dline. So saying they were not impressed with him at OLB is much different (an IMO not accurate) than they had a lot of talent there and they needed him more on the DLine, which is what I saw.

The point TSO is making (at least I think...) is that unlike many fans the team was willing to be patient with a guy and took some time to develop him as a player. That patience is paying off.

Let me get this right. Trent was asked to put on weight and change positions? Only then was he asked to lose weight and change back to his old position before he even got acclimated with his new position? Couple that with the fact that he's going to end up with double digit sacks? 

What's not to like? Why dissect what it was and not appreciate what it is?

Some of you are so farking ridiculous. I swear you are so used to failure when it comes to the 'skins that you're afraid of success.

If "you people" would just read his ****ing blog, that's extremely well written, informational and interesting you'd understand the position changes.

But nooooooooo. That thread wasn't good enough. It's better to just say "he do good" and then guess at **** so you can make up strong opinions from your guessing.

Yes I'm bitter. :ols: I was the self appointed leader of his ES fan club and wanted that thread to take off.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

But miss me with the "I ALWAYZ KNEW HE WAZ GONNA B A STUD" crap. His play came out of no where and anyone thinking he wasn't gonna cut it before this season had ample examples to support their views. The patting on the back in this thread is laughable lol

I don't know who you're directing this at, but I'm going to assume I'm among those you mean it towards. Otherwise, just say who next time. 

As for your point, I'm not patting anyone on the back, let alone claiming I knew he was going to be a stud. 

My point is simple. It was actually easy to recognize his skills and easy to recognize his potential. It was, furthermore, easy to understand he was going into his third year and so assuming he hit his ceiling or couldn't develop any further was overly judgmental at best and straight up foolish at worst. 

Like I said, it's fair to be surprised at just how good he's looked (I know I am), but there's nothing special about having recognized Trent in that aforementioned way. There really isn't. No one should think they were a genius for it. It's not about "knowing" anything, no one should've assumed he would've become what he has become... just that they shouldn't have assumed he never would or could. 

The only thing done right by any fans who did so was afford him the patience necessary for a developing draft pick going into his third year and simply not write him off as a bust or a JAG. 

That really wasn't ever hard to do. It didn't take some impeccably accurate eye for talent. The lesson here should be applied to quite a few of our young players right now often getting the same level of impatience, judgment and general harsh treatment in attitude from the fans. 

For me, this isn't about Trent Murphy.  This is about Redskin fans progressing at the same rate the organization seems to be progressing at. We still seem stuck in Vinny Cerrato/Dan Snyder "assume the worst" mode where guys are busts immediately and remain so, all the while our scouting department, GM and coaching staff have proven already to be far above that in terms of selecting players and developing them. 

Is that ok, or is that something I need to miss you with? ;) 

3 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

He's killing it. I'm glad he's finally developed.

But miss me with the "I ALWAYZ KNEW HE WAZ GONNA B A STUD" crap. His play came out of no where and anyone thinking he wasn't gonna cut it before this season had ample examples to support their views. The patting on the back in this thread is laughable lol

OK, I was pretty sure your screaming quote (were caps really necessary?) was inaccurate but just to make sure I went back and read every single comment in this thread. I did not see a single person say anything about they knew he would be a stud. The very closest is one person said they always though he would be a "very good football player" - that's a long way from saying they knew he would be a "stud".

They only point many made was that some of us saw he had potential and the team had enough patience to let him get there. Again, that hardly sounds like a prediction of him being a stud.

The bigger issue, and the reason there is a thread, is because so many are very quick to declare players busts and/or wasted draft picks. If the guy doesn't come in and straight dominate he is a POS and we should get him out of here! If we want to be consistently competitive, the team has to develop some guys. That means having some patience. The team had some patience with Murphy and that patience is being rewarded.

8 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Well, for one, I doubt he would get cut, because I always liked the kid as a player. Not the best, but always good in run support, and having some potential. But around here, for whatever reasons, people tends to judge OLB by sacks only.

Obviously, coaches tried to get him on the field on whatever position he would be best. Just like Kyshoen Jarrett (Damn our D is missing him badly), they worked something to get him on the field.

Archived