Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Combo Thread: Redskins Flex Scheduling Updates/Playoff Positioning Updates

kleese

34 minutes ago, BobGriffin said:

Ideally, they beat the Giants and then lose out, that way can end up with a better record than the Giants and Lions if we win out. 

I think I'm forgetting about the 5-seed for now (after last night). Therefore, I'm pulling for the Giants to win next week. I think it's very easy to look ahead to week 17 and hope that they might have the 5 locked up and would be benching players. 

I'm pulling for the Cowboys and Giants and focusing on the Bucs, Lions, Vikings, and Packers to lose some games. 

As of Week 14, here is the remainder of season strength of schedule for the teams in contention for a wild card berth from most to least difficult:

Lions (9-4): 2 away games, opponents 27-12 (0.692)

Giants (9-4): 2 away games, opponents 21-17-1 (0.551)

Bucs (8-5): 2 away games, opponents 21-18 (0.538)

Packers (7-6): 2 away games, opponents 19-20 (0.487)

Redskins (7-5-1): 1 away game, opponents 17-22 (0.436)

Minnesota (7-6): 1 away game, opponents 16-23 (0.410)

And of course teams within this group play each other a handful of times which will move the needle further in either direction. It's clear here that we are positioned well relative to the other teams to win out. And if the Giants or TB drop one of their next two games, we will be in control of our own destiny by winning out. Of course with the way the defense has been playing that is by no means a guarantee, but we can feel good about the fact that we get the Panthers and Giants at home, with our away game being against the Matt Barkley-led hapless Bears.

Hail.

2 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

If Tampa win out. To be honest they deserve to make the playoffs. I don't think they will though.

Yep, Tampa is doing what we've done a couple times (2005, 2007, 2012). They jumped us, so if they refuse to lose another game, we can't do too much about it. I will say though, if we go 10-5-1 and miss out because the other two wild card teams are 11-5 it'll be tough to be too down on our team. Sure, it'll be frustrating that we dropped some winnable games, but I'd be proud of the 2016 team. 

For anyone that might be wondering if it's possible for the Redskins to CLINCH a playoff berth BEFORE week 17....yes it is. Here is what would need to happen:

--Redskins beats Panthers and Bears

--Falcons lost to 49ers and Panthers OR Bucs lose to Cowboys and Saints

--Vikings and Packers both wind up with 7 losses after Week 16. They play each other week 16.... so at least one of them would need to lose in week 15 (Vikings play Colts, Packers play Bears) to make that a reality.

The above is the only way we OFFICIALLY CLINCH before Christmas Day.

But there is another way we could "virtually" clinch. The first part stays the same...

--We need to win two and one of the NFC South teams needs to lose two.

--Then in the North, it gets a little weird.... the Lions would need to lose both of their next games (at Giants, at Cowboys). The Vikings would need to lose one of their next two (Colts, at Packers). If those things happened, what GB did would actually be immaterial..... We would be 9-5-1 meaning 6 losses is our max. Vikings would have 7 already so they'd be out. The Lions and Packers would enter week 17 both with 6 losses... If this happened, we would basically be in already although not "official." The winner of that game would win the North and the loser would be second with 7 losses. The only way we'd miss out if the two teams tied-- in that case the Packers would win the division and we'd lose a tie-breaker to the Lions-- so we'd still have to win in week 17.

Just a little something else for you all to chew on....

I really think things will play out OK for us with the North teams-- so much so in fact that I think we could likely lose one more and still beat out the 2nd place North team. It's the south teams that are a bigger concern. This game for Tampa in Dallas is huge, huge, huge for us. And again, why Dallas losing last night wasn't such a bad thing.

Just now, Rattlesnake88 said:

Just took a looksey over at the cowboys forum and man did they turn on Dak fast.  About a third of them calling for romo if they come out flat vs Tampa. They are scared of losing the division now and also are terrorfied to sss the skins in the playoffs. I see the wheels falling off!

Are you sure of all the things they are doing over there, they are sitting around terrified about a hypothetical matchup with the Redskins in the playoffs?

I know the typical Cowboy fan is low on brain cells, but c'mon man...

4 hours ago, RedskinsMayne said:

Our defense is so bad, our special teams is suspect... how can anyone say we'd make a legit run... maybe win one game, but we aren't beating the cowboys or Seahawks... Atlanta or Detroit.

Because we have an offense that keeps us in every single game.  Games are not played on paper, my friend.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Are you sure of all the things they are doing over there, they are sitting around terrified about a hypothetical matchup with the Redskins in the playoffs?

I mean, I read it. Pinky promise ;)

I however think the Cowboys are in trouble, period. I don't think they are going to match up well with anyone really in the playoffs with an inexperienced and now struggling at the worst time, qb. 

They are panicking on so many different levels. I am guilty of enjoying all of it.

4 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I still think 10-5-1 winds up getting us there.

However, I'm far less confident now that we get in at 9-6-1.

And for whatever reason, I'm more afraid of Chicago than Carolina.

their defense isnt awful and they have a good running game. But we should kill them, it should be a show. But we'll see. a Pick six and a couple of bounces and we've seen crazier things. 

6 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

their defense isnt awful and they have a good running game. But we should kill them, it should be a show. But we'll see. a Pick six and a couple of bounces and we've seen crazier things. 

Thing is, with our Defense, we're not going to blow anyone out. Should we win? Yeah, probably. But we should have beat the Cards, too. Our "D" will not allow anything other than a close game, even if the Offense is on point.

6 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Isn't Chicago like 2-11? Their offense is being helmed by Gnarles Barkley's cousin, Matt. Our defense isn't very good, but I like the odds of our offense scoring more than Chicago's woeful unit. They are ranked 30th in PPG, at 17.

3-10 actually, but no, they are not good. However Barkley has given them a shot in the arm. And, once again, with our defense, it's not going to be a blowout.

19 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I still think 10-5-1 winds up getting us there.

However, I'm far less confident now that we get in at 9-6-1.

And for whatever reason, I'm more afraid of Chicago than Carolina.

I believe we'll be in the playoffs if we win out, but I'm not overly confident that will happen. As our QB likes to say, each game is its own entity and we can pretty easily lose any of these games with the defense we have. 

But, in the event of winning out (which includes a win over NY and giving them at least a 5th loss), I have to imagine it would be nearly impossible for us not to overtake Tampa, Detroit (who also plays NY), Atlanta, or New York. 

21 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I believe we'll be in the playoffs if we win out, but I'm not overly confident that will happen. As our QB likes to say, each game is its own entity and we can pretty easily lose any of these games with the defense we have. 

But, in the event of winning out (which includes a win over NY and giving them at least a 5th loss), I have to imagine it would be nearly impossible for us not to overtake Tampa, Detroit (who also plays NY), Atlanta, or New York. 

In the event we win out, the North teams are irrelevant to us really. We automatically finish ahead of whoever finishes second in the North, regardless of who it is. So, what we'd need is for the Giants, Bucs, and Falcons to NOT combine to go 8-0 in their other games. We would need one of them to lose one game.

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

9 wins isn't getting us in, that dream is dead.

We have to win out.

I disagree. Gun to my head....I would say, no, we don't make it at 9-6-1; but it isn't some sort of far-off fantasy either. It's not like a billion things need to go our way in order for it to happen.... as a matter of fact, I believe what we need to happen in the North WILL happen in order to enable us to make it in at 9-6-1. The "stretch" would be Tampa or Atlanta losing two out of three..... but I'd hardly say the Bucs two out three (at Cowboys, at Saints, Panthers) is some sort near impossibility. As a matter of fact, they are 7.5 point underdogs this week and the spread vs the Saints will likely be close to even.

I'd say I'm thinking we have right about a 50/50 shot to make it if we finish 2-1.

And along those lines....if you are focused on us finishing 3-0, then definitely root for the Lions to beat the Giants this week. If you are focused on trying to get in finishing 2-1, then root for the Giants to beat the Lions this week.

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

9 wins isn't getting us in, that dream is dead.

We have to win out.

Not even close to being true.  It's a league of parity and December football annually sees upsets with lots of intra-division games.  Our competition will lose games they aren't supposed to lose.

Skins may well win out but I'm still confident 9 wins will be enough.

Bucs are playing too well to lose 2/3. They might lose this week to the Cowboys, but I don't see them losing to the Saints and Panthers(playing at the Saints really isn't that big of a deal anymore, they lose at home regularly nowadays).

Falcons schedule down the stretch is absolute cake and they are rounding into form. They will win out.

Giants aren't gonna lose to both the Lions at home AND the lousy Eagles, but I think its a safe bet they lose one of them.

10 wins will get us in, I just don't see 9 happening. But hey, you never know.

I've learned a lot over the years being a huge sports fan and avid gambler.  Especially in the NFL.  One of those things I've learned is that whatever games you feel are a lock to have a certain outcome actually never comes to fruition.  

So I think TB will lose 2 of their next 3.  You know why?  Because it doesn't make any sense, that's why.  

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:40 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Are they talking about using Romo for their playoff run?  I know that was a thought at one point...because he's so clutch in the playoffs.

I guess you have to watch you ask for, but I would love for them to sour on Dak.

Archived