Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Golf

tshile

Morals aside, I do worry about how many powerful (rich, famous, access to politicians) athletes and I guess other people tangentially connected the sport we have to worry about from a national security perspective. I haven't looked into it yet, but I guess the Saudis basically bought golf outright, right? I would worry about them have any major influence in any vector of American power. We idolize athletes and they have access. That, imo, makes they a concern at the least. Trump is the obvious example but its way more than just him. 

The China NBA thing I guess is different in that regard a little? Im not sure. I know some athletes do adds for the Chinese and stuff like that so maybe im just not aware of it. But thats what I worry about. 

Rory McIlroy hopes LIV 'goes away,' has confidence in commish

Rory McIlroy hopes LIV 'goes away,' has confidence in commish - ESPN

"There still has to be consequences to actions," McIlroy said. "The people that left the PGA Tour irreparably harmed this tour, started litigation against it. Like, we can't just welcome them back in. That's not going to happen."

This sounds like it's going to play out like The Office during the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Llevron said:

haven't looked into it yet, but I guess the Saudis basically bought golf outright, right?

Yup. They run it now.

they did the same to F1, and they’re trying to do the same in soccer. 

and the other USA sports are hardly off the table. 

If you think then China/nba thing is different, I’ll point out the mess Lebron wound up in not too long ago. The guy some people try to pitch as a great role model for kids. 

i agree with your concerns. 

money often rules all and the PIF has a lot of money. And they’re clearly very interested in sportswashing their country. 

people may hate Norman still, but listening to one insider talk this afternoon… he delivered on everything he promised:

- play for more money

- play in majors

- play back in the pga

- these two things would merge

him and Phil took tons of backlash. But when being right means putting a ton of money in peoples pockets… it’ll be interesting to see how they handle it going forward. 

So long as Western democracy doesn’t make an effort to shut them out, people are going to be willing to do business with them, and so long as the money is there, criticism via select morals is going to fall on deaf ears. 

Before all this PGA Tour was owned by the players. So, tax exempt makes sense. 

also people seem to misunderstand what that typically means. They think it’s means no taxes are being paid. Usually it means the entity doesn’t pay taxes because the money just moves through the entity, but the people that receive it do indeed pay taxes. It’s a pass through. It doesn’t make sense to tax it at the PGA Tours level. It’s taxed as the individuals’ level. I believe?

but now it’s not owned by the players. It’s owned by a foreign entity. So. That should stop happening. I believe?

🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by tshile
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2023 at 5:00 PM, Long n Left said:

Was wondering how you’re doing? 

Right pinky, if you’re a right handed golfer, is probably the easiest finger to do without. Light overlap grip, and it shouldn’t change your swing much, if at all.

Now, about 4 years back, I busted up my left thumb on the 5th tee (don’t ask). Tried to continue playing, but gave up after tee shot on 7.

Some good did come from this though. In the 2+ months it took to recover, I found George Gankas online, and began incorporating his teachings into my golf swing. Once I got it going (about a 3-4 month timeframe) I was hitting the ball as well as I had in many years, and gained at least 10 yards on my iron shots. 

Better I guess.  Because of kids sports I'm not playing a ton.  It doesn't hurt much unless I ground my club, and it does get sore after awhile at the range.

For awhile, I was doing a Speith thing and just keeping my finger extended throughout the entire swing, but I realized overlapping and laying it on top worked about the same.  I can't interlock at all, too much pressure applied.

• Thumb up 1

There some interesting bulletpoints in this.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/jimmy-dunne-the-architect-of-the-pga-tour-liv-golf-deal-lays-out-the-details

• The PGA Tour will still be called the PGA Tour, but now commissioner Jay Monahan also oversees LIV Golf, and the PGA Tour remains a partner of the DP World Golf Tour. Monahan has told Al-Rumayyan they will evaluate LIV at the end of the year.
  • If Monahan wants to disband LIV, he can. If LIV golfers want to play on the Tour, Monahan and the current PGA Tour leaders have to approve the terms. Monahan has banned them; it is presumed that penalties to return to the Tour will be significant.

I'm telling y'all, this is the Michael Scott Paper Company. Except Greg Norman is Michael and he's going to get blackballed. All they had to do was sell their souls to the Saudis in exchange, oh and apparently lose tax exemption. Not sure why the hell PGA tour would be exempt from taxes other than the obvious.

Sorry Bryson..roids have destroyed whatever you had left of a brain. 

As an aside it's looking more and more like this merger is the Saudis just dumping LIV for the PGA (the bigger sportswashing opportunity). 

If the PGA does kill LIV after a year, that would be ****ing hilarious. Even more so if the LIV guys are given 2nd class status on the tour (assuming PGA lets them back in) as being talked about. 

Edited by The Evil Genius