Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: Dash cam video shows unarmed black man with hands in air before Tulsa police shoot him dead

No Excuses

5 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Exactly. But no one on the other side of this argument even knows what a knocker is. 

I do, and know why they use knockers.

perhaps if there was no need....perfect world and all that.

I think it would help if a lot of you folks start reading the facts about this case, instead of jumping to conclusions on what you think may have happened.

Anyway, here are Chief Putney's quotes from yesterday's news conference:

In a press release that included the videos and pictures, police said officers were at the apartment complex to serve a warrant unrelated to Scott. They said Scott pulled into the parking lot and parked beside the unmarked police vehicle officers were in, then began rolling what they believed to be a marijuana "blunt."

"Officers did not consider Mr. Scott’s drug activity to be a priority at the time and they resumed the warrant operation," the release states. "A short time later, Officer Vinson observed Mr. Scott hold a gun up."

"Due to the combination of illegal drugs and the gun Mr. Scott had in his possession, officers decided to take enforcement action for public safety concerns," the release continued. "Officers departed the immediate area to outfit themselves with marked duty vests and equipment that would clearly identify them as police officers."

When they returned, the report states, officers saw Scott in possession of a gun for the second time. The officers then identified themselves as police officers and "gave clear, loud and repeated verbal commands to drop the gun." They said Scott refused to follow those commands.

That's when an officer in uniform and in a marked vehicle arrived to assist, and "utilized his baton to attempt to breach the front passenger window in an effort to arrest" Scott. This is the vehicle police said the dash-cam video was recorded from.

The release states Scott then got out of the vehicle with the gun and "backed away from the vehicle while continuing to ignore officers' repeated loud verbal commands to drop the gun."

"Officer Vinson perceived Mr. Scott’s actions and movements as an imminent physical threat to himself and the other officers. Officer Vinson fired his issued service weapon, striking Mr. Scott," the release states. "Officers immediately rendered first aid and requested Medic to respond to the scene."

20 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

This goes back to training, or the lack thereof. It also highlights the tendency of law enforcement to consistent give one person with a certain background the benefit of the doubt, and consistently give none to others. 

When only 3% of precincts are reporting crime statistics, and you have a complete dumpster fire of a department in Baltimore, how some people consistently continue to never even admit these shootings could be bad is dumbfounding.  Nope, that stuff only happens on CSI. You can tell which members never go in the "More cops who should be fired" thread.

At what point in the video did you see an ankle holster? And when there is video evidence of half a dozen officers stomping out an unconscious suspect while they scream "Stop resisting!!", I'm capable of believing four officers will scream drop the gun when they don't(and we don't) see one. 

That was something I brought up to hubby...who says they don't just do that, to cover themselves "just in case"?  Seriously! 

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Maybe it's suicide by cop.

That seems logical, yes. Especially when you watch the video his wife posted of the incident where she repeatedly keeps yelling to him, "don't do it". 

To me, it sounds like 1. She knew of his hatred for cops, and didn't want him to do anything crazy, or 2. She possibly knew he was suicidal.

12 minutes ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

That seems logical, yes. Especially when you watch the video his wife posted of the incident where she repeatedly keeps yelling to him, "don't do it". 

To me, it sounds like 1. She knew of his hatred for cops, and didn't want him to do anything crazy, or 2. She possibly knew he was suicidal.

First of all, what I knew first was he was "waiting" for his kid to get dropped off.  And I'd be willing to bet that a person with a TBI <as his wife had verbally conveyed to the officers who were not in uniform and in the vicinity to perform a completely different task, ahem...>...if that person hadn't been yelled at, etc,...things might be different.

52 minutes ago, twa said:

Being told to put down your gun is bullying?

If bullying is boisterous intimidation of someone smaller or weaker, than yeah. Being screamed at to "drop the ****ing gun!" Fits that for me. I'd say 5 guys with guns drawn is intimidating, and put Scott in a far weaker position.

7 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

If bullying is boisterous intimidation of someone smaller or weaker, than yeah. Being screamed at to "drop the ****ing gun!" Fits that for me. I'd say 5 guys with guns drawn is intimidating, and put Scott in a far weaker position.

a good position for a convicted felon.

In all the videos I've watched, I have yet to see the victim with any sort of weapon, let alone a gun, while he was leaving the vehicle. Second, the statement from the police chief above STILL doesn't answer WHY the cops engaged Scott the way they did (so aggressively) considering NC is an open carry state. Plus, the cops had no idea Scott had any type of previous encounters with law enforcement or criminal record when they just happened to "pull up in the parking space beside him" because they DIDN'T know who the hell he was! The explanation by the police chief doesn't make any sense.

People keep pointing out that NC is an open carry state.  That does not mean you can just do anything with that gun.  I'm not an expert on NC gun laws but many states have it as a crime to remove your gun from the holster if there isn't a threat.  That is something worth researching and comparing the laws with what happened if you want that to be part of the discussion.  I'm not going to look it up because well.......there is a game on.

Also, if Scott was so dangerous, when the uniformed officer pulled up to beat on Scott's window with his baton while Scott was still in his car, you'd think Scott might have taken advantage of the opportunity and used his "loaded gun" at that moment (per the statement made by the police chief).  Sorry, but there's quite a few things that just don't add up.

displaying a gun in NC cannot be in a threatening manner, furthermore carrying one while under the influence is prohibited....that is state law, local jurisdictions can have more 

the bodycam vid does show his ankle holster when he got out of the truck...empty

testimony from officers and other witnesses as to seeing the gun and when would be helpful....but that is in due time.

5 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

First of all, what I knew first was he was "waiting" for his kid to get dropped off.  And I'd be willing to bet that a person with a TBI <as his wife had verbally conveyed to the officers who were not in uniform and in the vicinity to perform a completely different task, ahem...>...if that person hadn't been yelled at, etc,...things might be different.

Again, you're relying on information given from his wife, who has already been proven to be a liar. 

And no, the officers weren't initially in their regular uniform when Scott first parked next to them. But they were in police vests and clearly identified themselves when they later confronted him.

I have no idea what the bold task is supposed to mean. Chief Putney clearly explained why the cops confronted him in the article I posted above. Marijuana is illegal in NC. And they had witnessed him twice hold up the gun in his car. You act like they had no reason to investigate the matter. He was breaking the law, and possibly putting other citizens in harm's way. The cops had no idea what his intentions were.

Great read. Gives a great synopsis of the current state of Charlotte (and the country at large):

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-misplaced-rage-charlotte-17828

The Misplaced Rage in Charlotte

Violence and looting have erupted on the streets of Charlotte, N.C. Those involved have tried to justify this behavior by claiming it’s a natural response to white racism endemic to the city’s law enforcement and justice system.

But that claim ignores highly salient facts concerning the incident that set off this latest wave of unrest. For starters, the police maintain that the dead manwas armed. While angry protestors may choose not to believe that, there is no doubt that the police officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott is, himself, a black man. Moreover, the city’s police department is headed by a black police chief. How curious, then, that we see a man identified as Mr. Scott’s brother caught onvideo saying that “all white people are f****** devils; all white cops are f****** devils.”

And then there’s the sight of protesterschanting “Hands up, don’t shoot”—an obvious reference to the shooting death of Michael Brown two years ago in Ferguson, Mo. That’s curious too. We’ve learned quite a bit about that incident since the riots there. Most importantly, we now know—thanks to both a state grand jury investigation and a separate federal investigation by the U.S. Justice Department—that “Hands up, don’t shoot” never happened. It was a false claim made up by witnesses who wished to cover up the fact that Michael Brown had attacked Officer Darren Wilson after robbing a convenience store.

Unfortunately, perpetuating the fabricated myth spread by the Black Lives Matter movement and their willing (or unquestioning) accomplices in the media seems to be far more important to many activists than accepting the truth of what actually happened in Ferguson.

We don’t yet know what really happened in Charlotte. The investigation of that tragic incident has not been completed. But recent cases like the one in Ferguson and the Freddie Gray case in Baltimore, in which all of the police officers charged with intentional wrongdoing were eventually cleared, demonstrate initial reports on these types of violent confrontations are often inaccurate.    

We also should know that claims of systematic racism by law enforcement officers and chants such as “Why do you keep killing us?” are part of a false narrative: one that insists that law enforcement officers, specifically white officers, unfairly target and kill black Americans. These incendiary claims appear to be supported by many within the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department which must take some share of the responsibility for spurring this fabricated storyline and the results it engenders.<rest at link>

Archived