Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rawstory: Dash cam video shows unarmed black man with hands in air before Tulsa police shoot him dead

No Excuses

1 hour ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

. I've probably been stopped 30 times in my life, either for speeding, checkpoints, etc Not once did I ever fail to do what I was I told. I mean, really, how hard is it?..

Did they point a gun at you any of those times?

Last time I had a cop point a gun at me was a traffic stop for speeding and they were in on the side of the road pointing me to the side as well. I froze in middle of the street in my car because I knew my license was going to be suspended and just grabbed the steering wheel as hard as I could with my foot on the break.  Once they realized I wasn't just moving to the side, all two of them pointed their gun at me, and I just refused to move because I had no idea what action might set them off.  I just waited for them to come to the car and get me out.

After it was over and they were letting me drive off, I asked them why they drew their guns on me.  The black officer said because they thought I was going to run. My experience, their focus isn't on protecting me, its protecting themselves and others, but not protecting me.

Nah, they never pointed a gun at me. Like I said, each and every time I was stopped, I followed instructions. A few of the stops I felt were unwarranted. And with a few of them I felt the cop was being a dick. Still, NOT ONCE did I smart off or fail to do what they said.

Even with your story,  it's not hard to understand why you had a gun pulled on you. You didn't follow instructions. They had no idea that you were scared, or what your intentions were. Was their reaction to the situation a bit much? Possibly. Was it totally unreasonable? I would say, no.

Nah, they never pointed a gun at me. Like I said, each and every time I was stopped, I followed instructions. A few of the stops I felt were unwarranted. And with a few of them I felt the cop was being a dick. Still, NOT ONCE did I smart off or fail to do what they said.

Even with your story,  it's not hard to understand why you had a gun pulled on you. You didn't follow instructions. They had no idea that you were scared, or what your intentions were. Was their reaction to the situation a bit much? Possibly. Was it totally unreasonable? I would say, no.

I don't think it even registered to them that I was scared.  The guns were pointed at me, not the tires or anything like that, no attempt to de-escalate, just I wasn't following instructions the first time, so I guess that means I deserved to die.  I didn't make the right decision, but it bothered the hell out of me that they went so quickly to killing me as an option.  Telling me to pull over with guns drawn, I didn't know what they were thinking, so I just stopped, I didn't want to move in a way that might set them off.  The point is it was fast as hell and saving my life was not a priority at all.

6 hours ago, LD0506 said:

This remarkable young man is Ken Nwadike, heads the Free Hugs Campaign here: http://freehugsproject.com/

Deserves more acknowledgement for his efforts to lead us all out of the hateful, fearful morass we are in in these kind of situations. Simply cannot give him enough credit for making such a passionate attempt to break through the hatred. He has earned some hugs in return.

Yeah that dude is awesome. I first saw him doing this at Trump rallies a couple months ago. 

24 minutes ago, s0crates said:

I'm not 100% sure what Killer Mike was getting at in that video, but it sounds to me like he was admonishing advocates of active resistance for their imprudence. 

Agreed. Judging by the switch in conversation later on,I think he was doing just that.  

20 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

No point needed. Just a powerful message that Renada Romain on hip-hop Sirius radio station shared with everyone. 

It was that. 

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't think it even registered to them that I was scared.  The guns were pointed at me, not the tires or anything like that, no attempt to de-escalate, just I wasn't following instructions the first time, so I guess that means I deserved to die.  I didn't make the right decision, but it bothered the hell out of me that they went so quickly to killing me as an option.  Telling me to pull over with guns drawn, I didn't know what they were thinking, so I just stopped, I didn't want to move in a way that might set them off.  The point is it was fast as hell and saving my life was not a priority at all.

But you're not understanding that they don't know who the hell you are. They don't know if you have a gun. They don't know if you intend to use it. They don't know if your high on something. They don't know if your wife just left you or your mother just died or you just got fired from your job. 

Yet, they're somehow supposed to know that you don't mean them any harm. 

I don't think they thought you deserved to die based on the fact that they didn't shoot you. 

I've had guns drawn on me. I've been put in handcuffs several times. Last time was just over a year ago when I was - of all things- driving on a suspended license, which I didn't know was suspended. Not kidding. I asked why I was in handcuffs after he put them on, and he just said "standard procedure" . I've been incarcerated, too.   I've never resisted arrest or done anything to make the cops think I was intending to harm them, yet all of that has happened to me. Because I know I'm not going to hurt the cop, but they don't. 

Going back to putting your hands on a cop - ideally, they are all trained in Brazilian jiu jitsu. But that's not realistic. However, higher standards of physical fitness aren't, or shouldn't be. More  training overall should be done. On that we agree.

Point is, they don't know that when someone puts their hands on them that they aren't going for the gun. 

Just now, Ray-Ban Dan said:

Neither did I.  I'm always polite and respectful when pulled over.  My dad taught me how to deal with police when i got my license at16.

Still had my car searched 6 times and had guns pointed at me 3 times from 2001 - 2008

13 minutes ago, grego said:

But you're not understanding that they don't know who the hell you are. They don't know if you have a gun. They don't know if you intend to use it. They don't know if your high on something. They don't know if your wife just left you or your mother just died or you just got fired from your job. 

Yet, they're somehow supposed to know that you don't mean them any harm. 

I don't think they thought you deserved to die based on the fact that they didn't shoot you. 

I've had guns drawn on me. I've been put in handcuffs several times. Last time was just over a year ago when I was - of all things- driving on a suspended license, which I didn't know was suspended. Not kidding. I asked why I was in handcuffs after he put them on, and he just said "standard procedure" . I've been incarcerated, too.   I've never resisted arrest or done anything to make the cops think I was intending to harm them, yet all of that has happened to me. Because I know I'm not going to hurt the cop, but they don't. 

Going back to putting your hands on a cop - ideally, they are all trained in Brazilian jiu jitsu. But that's not realistic. However, higher standards of physical fitness aren't, or shouldn't be. More  training overall should be done. On that we agree.

Point is, they don't know that when someone puts their hands on them that they aren't going for the gun. 

Idk, man, US police kill more citizens in periods of months then some other counties police kill in a year.  

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/09/the-counted-police-killings-us-vs-other-countries

I don't expect mind reading, but we really need to look ourselves in the mirror when it comes to this lethal force training.  To say "they obviously believe I didn't deserve to die", I'm not feeling that, because two of the drew guns on and its maybe a different conversation if I move in a way they think I'm reaching for something instead of freezing like I did.  We probably aren't having this conversation at all.

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Hard to judge for me.

Yeah it's definitely borderline.  I'd like to see a non dash cam view if they have one.   I don't see him raise his hands with the gun but all happened so fast and they did give a number of warnings.  Guess it's one of those split seconds where anything could happen

21 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Yeah it's definitely borderline.  I'd like to see a non dash cam view if they have one.   I don't see him raise his hands with the gun but all happened so fast and they did give a number of warnings.  Guess it's one of those split seconds where anything could happen

It isn't borderline for me.  It looks like they shot a man with his back to them.  To me, he didn't look like a threat.  Gun or no gun.

On the bright side it looks like the officers did attempt to immediately treat his wounds.

Again, I wish that shooting wasn't the first option.

Archived