Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Its about money, he turned down playing football because he wanted a 20 mil contract.

even it’s about more than the money, what if he lost his case? This is a guaranteed win. Don’t undersell the value above a win.

If it was just about money, he'd never have done any of this in the first place.  

I agree that he won in every practical respect.  I'm just saying that there is real upside to continuing to push it in court.  Without the terms of the settlement being public, we don't know that the NFL did everything they could to avoid that, but I suspect it's the case.  

19 hours ago, Springfield said:

Arrested?  Do they not do detention any more?

I dont recall anyone getting detention for not standing for the anthem...

From my own experience, I dont recall a rule (and there were many rules) where you were required to stand for the anthem. And any teacher enforcing that rule of their own accord would've been in trouble.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, grego said:

Yep. This is where we are today. Click bait / rage bait. It's poisoning and dividing us. But we eat it up. 

It's really ashame and it would be nice if folks were held accountable for this.  While the meat of the information is legitimate within the article itself, click bait titles with 100% misleading information is why so many jump out and scream #fakenews.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I dont recall anyone getting detention for not standing for the anthem...

From my own experience, I dont recall a rule (and there were many rules) where you were required to stand for the anthem. And any teacher enforcing that rule of their own accord would've been in trouble.

Not standing is, in fact, constitutionally protected speech.  It is illegal to give detention for not standing.

4 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Not standing is, in fact, constitutionally protected speech.  It is illegal to give detention for not standing.

Maybe in the case of public schools, since I believe they are a part of the gov't  (someone else well versed in this may have a better answer as to how it all works)

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Maybe in the case of public schools, since I believe they are a part of the gov't  (someone else well versed in this may have a better answer as to how it all works)

No.  Tinker V. Des Moines School District established that students do not shed their right to free speech at the school-house steps.

• Like 3

A friend of mine and former co-worker posted on Facebook about an article stating Kaep would fit in perfect with the Panthers.  Of course, her and other friends of hers that are Panther fans were bashing the idea, calling him a traitor, etc.  Saying that if the Panthers signed him they would no longer put any money in the team or NFL and refuse to pull for them, etc. etc.

So, I responded to them telling them they should find another team since the Panthers signed Eric Reid last season and he took a knee and then was signed to a 3 year contract earlier this month.  Called them hypocrites.  It's been a couple of hours since I posted that, ****ing crickets, no responses, etc.  

Image result for mic drop animated gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

More power to 'em.  It's actually pretty ironic how much power the Ole Miss players have in this situation.  Ole Miss I suppose could discipline them, but they'd never be able to recruit a black athlete again.  Of course, we're talking about their exercise of their constitutional rights, so it's sad that it's even an issue.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

More power to 'em.  It's actually pretty ironic how much power the Ole Miss players have in this situation.  Ole Miss I suppose could discipline them, but they'd never be able to recruit a black athlete again.  Of course, we're talking about their exercise of their constitutional rights, so it's sad that it's even an issue.  

Since Ole Miss is a state school, could disciplining the students fall under the 1st amendment protections?  I know the big thing with the NFL was that they were a private company so they could restrict employee speech.

4 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Since Ole Miss is a state school, could disciplining the students fall under the 1st amendment protections?  I know the big thing with the NFL was that they were a private company so they could restrict employee speech.

I think the team/coach can discipline if they want to, or at least try to. Players get in trouble all the time for saying dumb **** that is probably technically protected speech. . I think it’d be a career ender for a coach in this circumstance. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...