Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SWFL's Summer Camp: The official Twitter thread, RVA style, slip and slide included, boogers extra, Cheerleader=counselors

SWFLSkins

As one of the 70% plus STHs from VA, it's our turn, brother :lol:

I just hope its accessible and there is some fun stuff around it.  Two things that are not necessarily synonymous with our area in general. 

Just get it right, ya know.  You've had 20 years of complaints with Fed Ex.

Never mind that. There's far more important news at hand ..... Like, we're in camp already? Huh, who knew? Apparently not moi anyways. Shrugs. I guess that surprise comes with barely glancing at anything football related since the draft. Some crazy, funny ass German fella' has been courting all my attention. I shall endeavour to try get into gridiron mode again sometime next week after I'm back from Mainz. Might need a dossier from yers lil' bro' to get me back upto speed. 

*Shakes head chuckling. Redskins back in camp. Never missed that before in 33 years. Ain't that something?

Hail. 

Chad Ryan @ChadwikoRCC 20m20 minutes ago

Chad Ryan Retweeted ES RWJ

He has been alright. He hasn't jumped out with any big plays, to my eye.

Chad Ryan added,

ES RWJ @rwj64
@ChadwikoRCC How is Willie Jefferson's performance in TC thus far?

Mike Jones @MikeJonesWaPo 9m9 minutes ago

Redskins have the day off. But here's what went on yesterday: Observations from Day 3 at Redskins training camp  read it in BRBN

Pro Football Focus @PFF 25m25 minutes ago

The PFF Training Camp Tour will be at #SteelersCamp today. Here's our 2016 team preview: http://bit.ly/2awHFsa 

Cosa8XjWEAAZokN.jpg

David Bruton remains humble while vying for starting safety spot read it in BRBN WP

Redskins Report @redskins_fanly 9m9 minutes ago

Redskins teammates terrorize Chris Baker during interview #BurgundyandGold http://app.fanly.me/article/YTB4qvOH1B 

Cosgw8gW8AAqOu0.jpg

Anthony Raposa @AnthonyRaposa 1m1 minute ago

Yesterday at #SkinsCamp, "I got the keys" was being played over loudspeaker during warm ups. Everyone got a kick out of the Norman shoutout.

Anthony Raposa @AnthonyRaposa 12m12 minutes ago

Su'a Cravens has been solid thus far during #SkinsCamp. Showing great form in tackling and getting square with his body. *during 1 on 1's

Paul Conner @P_ConnerJr 6m6 minutes ago

#Redskins have the day off today so I'll be at Kings Dominion from open to close because I'm a child.

The MMQB @theMMQB 4m4 minutes ago

Coslw3dWEAELw7v.jpg
0 retweets 0 likes

Pretty disappointed the announcement was about Beathard. I don't care about that.

Was hoping for stadium or uniform news

I didn't say he didn't deserve it. I just don't care.

Okay, I'll bite, Camp day off and all. First and foremost if you truly don't care, why say anything? Because what you just said there speaks volumes of disrespect for the franchises glorious history and to today's developing team.

Let's consider if Bobby never comes to the Redskins organization.

Does Cooke wreck the team as a Young Snyder did? Does he try running the team himself? Do the Redskins find any success at all? George Allen when here, was certainly capable, but he was also ego driven and had turned into a Chip Kelly GM Coach.. His loyalty to the Skins waned, and enter Jack Pardee....then he got fired.....But why? and by who? and.....

Here is a little history on the two coaches.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/history/allart/81pardee.htm

I face the hard task of choosing between the two philosophies," Cooke said. "After careful consideration, I have decided to endorse Mr. Beathard's program of a winning future for the Redskins."

Pardee was determined to go with his veteran players in an attempt to salvage the past season, while Beathard wanted to rebuild by using his younger, inexperienced players.

Pardee's firing came 15 days after the Redskins finished the season with a 6-10 record, the team's worst in 17 years. Pardee was 24-24 in three years as the Redskin head coach.

1.  George Allen saw the writing on the wall.  The Skins were aging, had 

no draft picks, other teams in the NFC East were surging.

2.  The Rams were interested in Allen.  They were a team that had picks, 

lots of talent, were basically loaded.

3.  Cooke had moved East at that point.  EB Williams (who had picked 

Allen) was on his way out (too many egos in the Skins front office at 

that point).

4.  What Allen did was force the Skins to let him go.  He simply made it 

impossible to re-sign him.  He delayed, raised unreasonable demands, 

shifted positions.  It was a pretty transparent way to get out of the 

Skin's contract.  The reality is that he felt it was the time to leave 

and LA was a better situation.  Cooke would have given him another 2 

years but didn't have any ties to him like Williams did.

-----------------------------------------------

Bobby was the Scot of his day, Blonde fresh face, Cali surfer demeanor....If you say you don't care about Bobby being honored, than you don't really care about the nature of the set up today. It's the same, Great GM, overbearing owner, Great offensive minded coach. And you simply don't care about Gibbs, because if not for Beathard, Gibbs doesn't happen. It also means you don't care how many HOF players never would have played here, numero uno is my favorite of all time, Darrell Green.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/73012/bobby-beathard-upset-redskins-owner-jack-kent-cooke-by-hiring-joe-gibbs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/gibbs/gibbs.htm 

--------------“I said, ‘You probably haven’t heard of him. It’s a guy named Joe Gibbs,’” Beathard said.

To which Cooke replied, “Joe Gibbs? Who the hell is Joe Gibbs? When we announce a guy named Joe Gibbs, they’ll crucify me.”

Beathard said after the Redskins lost their first five games under Gibbs, Cooke called him.

“He said, 'I want to speak with you,'” Beathard said. “I said, ‘I can’t, I’m leaving on a trip.’ He said, ‘Do you own the team?’ I said, ‘No, sir.’ ‘You get out to my house right now and bring your coach out here.’ He said, ‘I should fire you both.’ Anyway, we started winning and he’d bring Joe out once in a while and he’d say, ‘Joe, you’re the coach I always wanted! I told Bobby to get Joe Gibbs – ‘I don’t want you to screw this up. We’ve got to have Joe Gibbs here.’ That was a story I always liked from him.”

--------nd then there was Green, whom the Redskins drafted in 1983 with the 28th pick in the first round. Beathard told defensive coordinator Richie Petitbon, also the secondary coach, he was going to draft someone on defense. But he wouldn’t tell Petitbon who, fearing it might leak. Green, at 5-foot-8, didn’t fit the mold of what most defensive coaches wanted, which is size.

“We finally get to that part of the draft and I want to take Darrell Green,” Beathard said. “And I said, ‘Rich, we’re going to take Darrell Green.’ He said, ‘Who in the hell is Darrell Green?’ I said, ‘He’s a corner at Texas A&I.’ … He said, ‘Bobby, there’s nobody -- nobody -- that little that can play in this league.’ And we got Darrell Green and he was even smaller than he thought. … It worked out pretty good.”

If none of this matters to you, you could have simply kept quiet on the topic. For you to not understand the history and the impact of Bobby on this franchise is naive. Snyder doesn't root for this team IMO, if no Bobby, Snyder doesn't finally figure out you need a quality GM like Scot if there is no Bobby, Snyder would essentially own a BandG version of the Eagles if there was no Bobby. I suffered as a fan before he came, and plenty afterward. I am sorry you didn't get to feel how great it was to be a fan of this team while the chemistry developed right in front of us. I have that feeling again, it is a similar as the smell of bacon cooking right now on a Sunday morning. 

Next time before you decide you don't care about a legend, a true living legend, maybe consider keeping it to yourself. I hope that I enlightened you as to the impact this man has had on us Fans who witnessed his greatness. 

His impact on this team is written in Lombardis.........

Some other articles that might make you care, or at the least be aware of exactly who you didn't care about, uniforms, stadium locations matter little if not for this guy....

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/24/sports/redskins-molded-by-a-master-scout.html

The opportunity to hire Gibbs came in 1981, and the new coach's start with the Redskins was abysmal. The team lost its first five games. ''Joe was great,'' said Beathard. ''He never wavered. He was patient.''

The Redskins have won 19 of 23 games since that losing streak, including three victories in the playoffs this season. Beathard describes himself as ''a football person.'' He says, ''That's all I know.'' Madden Was His Roommate

He grew up in El Segundo, Calif., near Los Angeles, and he played high school football there as a single-wing tailback. At Cal Poly he was the quarterback and a defensive back on teams that won 18 of 20 games. His college roommate was John Madden, the former coach of the Oakland (now Los Angeles) Raiders.

His brother, Pete, was a standout quarterback at Southern California and later played for the Kansas City and Houston teams in the American Football League.

Bobby Beathard tried and failed to become a defensive back with the Redskins, the Minnesota Vikings and the San Diego Chargers between 1959 and 1961.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Redskins-Legacy-Bobby-Beathard/e7ce3516-8318-49a1-9a27-a123dd1e3f41

According to former Redskins star receiver Gary Clark, “He’s the standard of GMs.  If every other GM could have the type of illustrious career Bobby Beathard had, you’d be talking about them.”

Clark, who played for a Division I-AA college football program and was not picked in the primary NFL draft in 1984, was one of the overlooked players unearthed by Beathard. 

I don't care all that much about a new stadium.  Definitely care nothing about any laundry changes.

I do, I care that some fans dismiss where we've been to understand where we are, and where were about to go. 

CosrT_QWgAA8q0X.jpg

Chad Ryan Retweeted Chad Ryan

In this video: Breeland working at KR. Kendall Fuller vs Garcon Morgan Moses lightning round And more!

Chad Ryan added,

Chad Ryan @ChadwikoRCC

Ryan Kerrigan is another guy who has looked good so far at #SkinsCamp. Technique looks solid and getting a consistent good rush on the QB.

Darrell Green Retweeted JP Finlay

That's really true and really funny, but I love me some Richie Petitbon and some Bobby Beathard.

Darrell Green added,

JP Finlay @JPFinlayCSN
Beathard says Petitbon's reaction to drafting Darrell Green: 'Bobby, there's nobody that little can last in the NFL'

Washington adding former G.M. Bobby Beathard to Ring of Fame

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/30/washington-to-put-bobby-beathard-in-ring-of-fame/

At a time when Washington hopes it has found its next Bobby Beathard in Scot McCloughan, the original Bobby Beathard will join the ranks of the team’s all-time greats.

BTW, The HOGs? that never happens without Bobby............

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/blog/article-1/Bobby-Beathard-Describes-The-Thought-Process-Over-Trading-First-Round-Draft-Picks/4647430c-2372-49e5-9273-afa83df989c0

Back then, Beathard explained, his draft philosophy wasn’t dependent on the talent level of the offensive linemen he was drafting once he hired Joe Bugel, the team’s offensive line coach.

“When we got Joe Bugel, we knew whatever offensive lineman we drafted, whether it was a 12th rounder or a first rounder, he would work with him just as hard, and that’s when we had the Hogs,” he said. “We had Joe Jacoby who was drafted late, Russ Grimm and all those guys, they weren’t drafted high and he just made them into a great unit, great players.”

I never knew this....perty cool....

Yep, I believe at one time in the 1960s, at San Diego State University, you had a coaching staff that consisted of Don Coryell, Joe Gibbs, and John Madden.

Talk about a dream team coaching staff. :)

Though I think Gibbs was more of an assistant than a coach, though he went on to become a coach at SDSU.

Archived