Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 Roster Thread (Building a Champion Edition) - Doct to IR - Mo Harris Up

DC9

That intern who has been getting coffee and donuts and picking up dry cleaning, etc, for the last 4 or 5 months has one job to do today.... and I don't care what anyone says... he can't ****ing wait to look at some of these dudes and say "Yo, coach wants you and bring your mother ****ing playbook."

(side note:  I know that's not how it necessarily works for cuts to the 53... but you know he still feels that way).

firstblood.png

One of the Panthers Josh Norman replacements... :ols:

Panthers fifth-round pick Zack Sanchez waived, per source. Wow. Didn't see that coming for 1 of 3 rookie corners.

Redskins cuts will trickling in this a.m. Some they'd like to get through to practice squad, but for others, this is the end of the road.

58 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

While you're probably correct, we ran a ton of 3 TE heavy last year, before TEs started breaking into pieces left and right. 

I can absolutely see running a 4 TE set, with Reed wide and Paul in a FB set.

Was that because we liked 3 TE sets or Jackson was injured? It's hard to tell because the TEs dropping like flies coincided with Jackson coming back. Looking at the talent we have at WR, I just don't see us running a lot of 3 TE unless it's a goal line or short yardage situation. Keeping 3 or 4 TEs will be a decent indicator I would think.

48 minutes ago, Aireskoi said:

I hope we don't see Paul as a FB.  He was annihilated in his limited action in preseason at FB.

I hope we keep Paulsen over Paul, but I think I'm a lone wolf on this one.  I think we need 2 true TE's on the roster (Paulsen and Davis) more than another receiver.

You actually bring up a decent point about Paul. He was playing lights out last year before he got injured. He is a STs captain, so I doubt he goes anywhere. But to be honest I am not sure he has done that much since coming back from injury and there are now other guys who can lead STs. Spaight immediately comes to mind. It was actually one of our strengths last year. He could be one of those surprise cuts, a mildish surprise but a surprise just the same.

Outside the actual season this is my 2nd favorite day of the football season only after draft day. The surprise cuts, the screaming by fans of "XX released YYY, we have to sign him now!", all the second guessing, predictions of SB and the predictions of doom, and "how could they cut ZZZ???? I mean WTF????!" Good times for all!!

57 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Am I wrong to think if we can cut a 5th round pick in Ioannidis why would we not cut Sudfeld.  In such a sennario both obviously will endup on the practice squat.  We are on of the few teams insisting in keeping 3 QBs on the active roster.  Why?

three QBs is fa from a rare thing.

And a development QB is still more valuable than develop DT

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Am I wrong to think if we can cut a 5th round pick in Ioannidis why would we not cut Sudfeld.  In such a sennario both obviously will endup on the practice squat.  We are on of the few teams insisting in keeping 3 QBs on the active roster.  Why?

I don't think Jay likes keeping 3 QBs but the last few years they have had to. Not trying to start a Robert hijack, just responding to this particular question. But with Roberts injury history they had to keep a 3rd on the 53 and make one inactive. Then last year, they could not release Robert but they were not going to play him unless it was an absolute emergency due to the $16M for this year if he had gotten hurt. So they had to carry 3 and made him inactive every week.

I really see Sudfield being released and signed to the PS. Remember, if someone claims him, they have to put him on their 53 man roster (see DC9, I am trainable!). Same with Iaonnidis. Having said that, I have Iaonnidis making the 53. More than worrying about him getting claimed (which I doubt) hHe needs playing time and we are thin on the interior Dline.

2 minutes ago, Aireskoi said:

Here's a rookie that was cut by the Bucs.  TE/FB H-Back 6th Round pick.  

They're keeping 5 TE's, so it may be a numbers game.

I would rather someone like this than a WR that was converted to TE playing FB.

Except can he...

It looks like #Redskins cuts have begun, as OLB Lynden Trail tweet indicates that he's been released.

7 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Except can he...

No clue, but there should be some ST film on him with the Bucs at least.  I'll check him out if he's picked up by some chance.

It wouldn't have to be him, but we're small at TE 1, and we don't have a true FB at all.  

Niles can be a monster on teams though, and I know he's a match-up nightmare at TE.  I sure won't be mad if he stays.

I worry that we'll be pushed around on short yardage if we let Paulsen go and consider the FB position filled with Niles.

Just now, goskins10 said:

Was that because we liked 3 TE sets or Jackson was injured? It's hard to tell because the TEs dropping like flies coincided with Jackson coming back. Looking at the talent we have at WR, I just don't see us running a lot of 3 TE unless it's a goal line or short yardage situation. Keeping 3 or 4 TEs will be a decent indicator I would think.

DJax, Reed, Davis, Paul and Jones (just because) set. That's 5 very good pass catchers. It's also 2 good blockers for Jones, with two guys that demand safety help. It's a formation that's pretty undefendable. We can get in it quickly and run the same formation with endless possibilities.

This is the formation I'm most excited to see on offense. it's a fast hitting, physical formation, that can power small yards and also score from absolutely anywhere.

The second a safety drops to protect either the run, flat, screen or quick slant, either Reed is alone with a small corner or nobody is protecting DJax over the top. That's a TD every time.

Otherwise, we've got 7 in the box, with 7 blockers and defenders need to respect Davis and Paul as receivers, so shouldn't be able to run blitz, without going back to the previous senerio of leaving DJax or Reed one on one.

I would hope Cousins, Reed and DJax have been working on the deep post/go option timing, because the second a backer does blitz, it means one of those guys is going one on one or we've got Davis or Paul completely free.

This is the formation that makes me think our offense could potentially be historically good.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Ioannidis was cut?!...

He's expected to go to the PS

Rich Tandler Retweeted Stephen Czarda

Of course he will but Kelley has nothing to worry about. Mack Brown, on the other hand . . .

The Redskins have released OL Nila Kasitati.

Source: Deshazor Everett will make the 53-man roster. #redskins

OLB Mike Wakefield has been released, source says.

The Redskins have released OL Nila Kasitati.

This guy will be back & assigned to the PS. I watched him at ST & he looked very good. Actually, I thought it was Lauvao because his hair was covering his name. He did very well in the 1:1 blocking drills & he looked good in the preseason games I watched. 

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

They can cut either of them but they have to clear waivers before they can come back on the practice squad.  I think the fear was that someone might claim Sudfeld.

8 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Ok, I'm trying to figure out a new spin on TK's old "Hi there :) ". 

What do you guys think? 

May I recommend .....a  "Shark Party" theme? 

The 'Warning' stage could indicate how all the 'blood in the water' has drawn some unwanted attention.  ( ....Maybe gif with a Shark fin circling around?)

Then If you wind up having to "bite", maybe use something like that memorable pic from Jaws, or a maybe a humorous gif from  Anthony Jeselniks "Shark Party" .

[Sorry, I went off topic  ... But I couldn't resist dipping my toes into the water for this one.]

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Trail and Thorpe are disappointing, but not surprising. PS I assume.

I knew Everett was making it. He's a bad ass enforcer.

I think Wakefield makes PS over Trail and Maurice Harris and Kendall Thompson would go over Thorpe(and you really can't expect them to make it)

Archived