Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For the Record: Who Would You Have Drafted?

Going Commando

1 (22) Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
2 (53) Su’a Cravens, S, USC
3 (84) Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
5 (152) Matt Ioannidis, DT, Temple
6 (187) Nate Sudfeld, QB, Indiana
7 (232) Steven Daniels, ILB, Boston College
7 (242) Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia

I made an overlong post in the draft thread for the 1st three rounds.  I'll try to be quicker here.

1st. A'Shawn Robinson, DT.

2nd. Mackenzie Alexander, CB.

3rd. Pharoh Cooper, WR.

5th. Jeremy Cash, S.  Knowing how this one ends, I'd prefer it not be, but 6'0", 212 lbs, lots of tackles.  In the 5th, he's feels like a steal to be a developmental in the box SS.  But hey, we'll see what happens with him at the Panthers.  He's highest on my board by a bit so it feels dishonest to not take him.

6th. Sebastian Tretola, OG.

7th. Kenny Lawler, WR.

7th. Tyler Matakevich, ILB.

1 (22) Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

2 (53) Su’a Cravens, S, USC

3 (84) Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

5 (152) Matt Ioannidis, DT, Temple

6 (187) Nate Sudfeld, QB, Indiana

7 (232) Steven Daniels, ILB, Boston College

7 (242) Keith Marshall, RB, Georgia

De ja vu again ... eh Probus?

1- Doctson

2- Cravens/Bell - Cravens was BPA on my board...but i may have talked myself into believing he would be available in the 3rd. Credit to Scot for just sticking to his board.

3- Day

5- Kevin Hogan/Ionnidis/Anthony Zettel...SiP, & i had mentioned Ionnidis moments before the pick. He was tied for BPA on my board at that time with Zettel, Hogan, & Mike Thomas. I would have gone with another big guy though.

6- Mike Thomas/Moritz Boehringer

7- Matakevic/Daniel Lasco

7- Tyvis Powell/Matakevic

Round One: Josh Doctson, WR TCU

Round Two: Vonn Bell, FS Ohio State

Round Three: Javon Hargrave, DT South Carolina State

*Round Four: Evan Boehm, C Missouri (if we’d kept the pick)

Round Five: Christian Westerman, G Arizona State

Round Six: Scooby Wright, ILB Arizona

Round Seven: Jeremy Cash, S Duke

Round Seven: Charone Peake, WR Clemson

1, Josh Doctson WR

2. Vonn Bell S

3. Javon Hargrave DT

5. Matt Ioannidis DE

6. Brandon Allen QB

7. Charone Peake WR

7. Tyler Matakevich ILB

Would have been trying to deal back into the 6th to get Harlan Miller.

if it was Treadwell, instead of Doc, that could have been my perfect board.

• 2 weeks later...

I like our draft overall (except for the trade of our 4th round pick)...I would have kept the 4th rounder and drafted C/G C.Westerman...

If drafting w/o the benefit of seeing our picks, and playing by the rules above, I probably would have gone:

1. LB M.Jack

2. DT M.Collins

3. CB K.Fuller

5. C C.Westerman

6. QB N.Sudfield

7. SS/LB J.Cash

7. LB T.Matakevich

I won't go through the whole thing as I'm not well versed in college players enough to have an opinion, but I will say I would've picked Treadwell over Doctson. As I mentioned in the draft thread, it's the second year in a row the guy I wanted from the start was available at our pick (Leonard Williams last year), and the second year in a row we passed and the next team jumped on that guy. At least the position was right. It was smart to get a WR early. Its going to be a need position soon and I'm all for filling it through the draft instead of in free agency.

Beyond that, I worry that McCloughan focuses too much on getting good value instead of making what sometimes appears to be an obvious choice. Clearly time will tell whether we should've grabbed Treadwell and Williams over Sherff and Doctson. It did make me uneasy to think we could've probably plugged a guard into the right side later in the draft last year and would not have had such an obvious need for 5tech this year had we gone with Williams in 15'. For now I'm going to assume I was wrong and he was right.

Treadwell is also 20 years old. a young pup along with billings. these guys can still develop.

I won't go through the whole thing as I'm not well versed in college players enough to have an opinion, but I will say I would've picked Treadwell over Doctson. As I mentioned in the draft thread, it's the second year in a row the guy I wanted from the start was available at our pick (Leonard Williams last year), and the second year in a row we passed and the next team jumped on that guy. 

Beyond that, I worry that McCloughan focuses too much on getting good value instead of making what sometimes appears to be an obvious choice. Clearly time will tell whether we should've grabbed Treadwell and Williams over Sherff and Doctson

I don't think the Scherff to L. Williams is apples to apples.  I grant that L. Williams was more highly regarded by the draft geeks than Scherff.   However, there were some who did have Doctson higher in mocks than Treadwell.  Heck Todd McShay had Doctson in the top 10 in his last mock on draft day and yes higher than Treadwell.  Doctson has much better speed, vertical leaping ability, better hands, is a better deep threat, better red zone target.  Those are a lot of things to be better at.  I liked Treadwell but I thought Doctson was clearly a peg above.  There was a great article posted on the draft thread which showed that on just about every key metric Doctson beat Treadwell.  Treadwell wasn't the obvious choice IMO not by a long shot.

Shows here how much they liked Doctson over the other Wrs.  From Keim.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/25024/wr-josh-doctsons-hands-leaping-ability-highlights-redskins-rookie-minicamp

Josh Doctson’s talent: The Redskins weren’t going to draft a receiver in the first round until Doctson fell to them. They would have passed up every other first-round wideout. This weekend won’t answer the question of whether or not he could end up starting this year, but we’ll get the first glimpse of his ability and perhaps how much he’ll be able to help. The real answers will come in training camp, when the pads are on and they’re in live situations.

Considering there was little/to no thoughts posted of Doctson when he was picked, I'm amazed (maybe even calling BS) with the number of people saying Doctson on these posts.

edit: On second thought, I'm the only one that said he would have taken Billings in the 2nd.  A few 3rd (Wilco, Long n Left, Emsworth, Chump) and 1 4th (veleno45).  After the days of meltdowns from some, some still on going, I think some are not being honest with themselves.

I would have taken Jayron Kearse in the 7th and had him play free safety. The combo of him at free safety and Cravens at Strong safety would be pretty awesome on paper and Kearse could spend a season getting up to speed behind DHall and Blackmon while still being an immediate contributor on special teams.

Sucks he got picked by the Vikings 2 spots after us would have loved for him to have been available as an undrafted pickup. Almost made it lol. Who knows though maybe his passion level wasn't high enough to justify taking the chance on his insane potential.

Also with that being said I am still a fan of both our 7th round picks just wondering if one of them could have been picked up as an Undrafted addition so the draft pick could have been used on Kearse.

Considering there was little/to no thoughts posted of Doctson when he was picked, I'm amazed (maybe even calling BS) with the number of people saying Doctson on these posts.

Go to the comprehensive draft thread and check it out for yourself, we asked each other to pick our top guys for #21 the day before the draft.  I picked Doctson. And I recall at least one other person did the same.  And I made many of the same pro Doctson arguments there before the draft that I did here.

Doctson wasn't some obscure off the radar guy.  Especially after Treadwell's poor 40 time and verticals times -- it was actually a hot topic here about whether he now has surpassed Treadwell.  It had some good debate.   Actually that thread had plenty of good debate about plenty of players.   But yeah Doctson was in the mix, a lot of players were.

OK after think about the post I had above I wouldn't not have know how the draft fell. So what I would have really done is

#1; A'Shawn (DT)

#2 Billings (DT)

#3 Fuller (CB

#4 Cash (FS)

#5 Westerman (G)

#6 Allen ©

#7 A RB, WR or QB

For the most part, I am pleased with the first 3 and last pick of our draft. 

I would have picked up Andrew Billings in the 4th(instead of trading it) and maybe Jack Allen or Austin Blythe with one of our #7s.

But the draft is nothing more than a roll of the dice.

Still trust in Scott!!!!!!!!

This for me.  Still don't understand what value we got with our 4th round trade, 2 5th one in 2017 makes little sense to me.  I will trust Scott that he didn't want Billings because of specific issues none of us know about (football related or otherwise) but having him there with our pick in the 4th and taking him would have made the perfect draft for me.

One note: IMO Dockson was by far the best WR in this draft, I still can't believe he fell to us, especially with us trading back a spot while another WR gets picked.  Totally blows me away the more I think about it and its something I bet you talking heads will be saying in years to come.

My contention on Doctson was always: "there's NO WAY he makes it to 21....& if by some miracle he does...you run to the podium."

Cravens was high on my board...had him as a late 1st round grade, but was willing to sede that many others may not see it that way. So Bell, as i stated, might have been my pick, hoping that Cravens fell to the 3rd.

1. Doctson

2. Sua Cravens

3. Andrew Billings

4. Willie Henry

5. Christian Westerman

6. Brandon Allen

7. Scooby

7. Matakevich

I still can't believe Scooby fell all the way until the 7th round (nearly undrafted!)... IRL I would have gotten him way, way, way, higher lol. Just like our mock where I got him in the 3rd and got killed for it (along with a bunch of other guys like Jack Allen... (seriously?))

So not gonna participate in it, it would be too painful to do it pick by pick until Scooby got placed right :P

My contention on Doctson was always: "there's NO WAY he makes it to 21....& if by some miracle he does...you run to the podium."

Cravens was high on my board...had him as a late 1st round grade, but was willing to sede that many others may not see it that way. So Bell, as i stated, might have been my pick, hoping that Cravens fell to the 3rd.

I was higher on Bell than Cravens and wanted Treadwell over Doctson, which makes me believe we picked the right guys.

I still can't believe Scooby fell all the way until the 7th round (nearly undrafted!)... IRL I would have gotten him way, way, way, higher lol. Just like our mock where I got him in the 3rd and got killed for it (along with a bunch of other guys like Jack Allen... (seriously?))

So not gonna participate in it, it would be too painful to do it pick by pick until Scooby got placed right :P

Wasn't Bell th e one who said he didn't like to tackle or something?? I may have took Scooby in the 6th but seeing that QB there......

Now...Billings i was high on, & i still like, but my view on him & why i think my consideration on him would have waned similarly to our F/O is pretty simple really. I feel that my view on him had to do more with perceived need...& it came to pass that our staff just didn't agree with the common perception that we needed to abandon all prudent planning in order to take a 2-down, less than 30% useful player. I think that if he was a guy that would be all-pro for every playable down for such little usage, then i would have disagreed with our F/O...but as much as i liked Billings, i still had him as a rotational NT who could play the odd passing down.

I think it has become elementary to assume that Baker is looking like he will share NT duties with Golston, & Ioannidis, & that the idea was to have swappable parts along the 3-man base. That extends to most parts of the defense, to where we will see Murphy, & Smith, & i would bet that Kerrigan will even share passing down duty as a DE. Knowing this is the PLAN, & not born out of reactionary planning, then i think that it's really hard to argue that Billings would have been the right pick for us at any point. I just don't think he was a scheme fit at all. Ioannidis seems to have been exactly the type of DL we had on our shopping list.

The Skins clearly weren't ecstatic about doctson or they wouldn't have traded back one pick and risked Houston taking him. I think we really wanted Kelly or Joseph. When they weren't available and we failed making the trade back with Denver and Dallas, we settled for doctson. I would've taken Vernon butler or Nkemdiche.

Archived