Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS RE-SIGN TE LOGAN PAULSEN

TK

For Immediate Release

March 11, 2016

REDSKINS RE-SIGN TE LOGAN PAULSEN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed unrestricted free agent tight end Logan Paulsen. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Paulsen (6-5, 261) has played in 75 career regular season games with 42 starts since joining the Redskins as a college free agent prior to the 2010 season. He has recorded 79 career receptions for 801 yards (10.1 avg.) with six receiving touchdowns.

Paulsen played collegiately at UCLA from 2005-09, appearing in 46 career games and catching 71 passes for 888 yards (12.5 avg.) with one touchdown. He served as a team captain for the Bruins as a senior in 2009.

A native of Northridge, Calif., Paulsen, 29, attended Chaminade College Preparatory School and earned first-team All-Mission League honors as both a junior and senior. He was born Feb. 26, 1987.

I may be alone, but I like this signing. Paulsen is an overachiever. He gives you everything he has. Somehow, he's made some big catches and has been a good team mate.

For a guy with no hands, poor speed, and terrible measurables... he's been a good contributor. I don't know if he makes the final roster, but I do know that if the guy is on the field he will give it all he can. Every team needs a few Thrashes, Doughtys, Alexanders, etc. Having a couple lunch pail over achievers is important.

Feel the same way about this re-signing as I do about Kedric's. I won't be upset if they are beaten out and cut, but I'm also glad to have them on the squad.

Agreed, he was a solid run and pass blocker, think of him as a Don Warren, think about it, Donny wasn't known for his pass catching skills yet he stayed a skin and played in 3 different decades... Not all TE's are made like Gronk or J.Reed, and there are plenty of pass catching TE who are total detriments to their team because they can't pass or run block when called upon too. He was a quiet guy who did his job...

I like the signing. Even if most skins fans who care more about his stats on yahoosports and their fantasy teams..

I'm glad to see him back. He's taken lots of flak, but he's another nice story we've had for years (including that 2012 playoff run where he was clutch with Reed out).

With all those TE we've signed last year, I feared that he would not be resigned. Happy to have him back. 53? That will be tough, but he seems to be made of the Kedric Golston mold. Guys that you think will get cut year in, year out, but always managed to find a way on the field...

We really should have a "Kedric Golston Award" for those guys we all expect to not make the 53 and still makes it despise all logic.

My tune has changed on this and I'm not going to flop the complete opposite way, as when I first heard the news and be happily excited that he's back.

With Young and the FB position gone, does anyone think we carry 4 TEs, due to ours all being hurt so often last year.

My tune has changed on this and I'm not going to flop the complete opposite way, as when I first heard the news and be happily excited that he's back.

With Young and the FB position gone, does anyone think we carry 4 TEs, due to ours all being hurt so often last year.

I think we may keep 4. It will be interesting to see what happens with the FB position. I think we will carry 4 RB's or 4 TE's, maybe both. We could carry 4 RB's AND 4 TE's and only carry 5 WR's which would result in the same number of skill position players. Especially considering Reed and Carrier are glorified WR's. Paul can fill in as FB and our 4th RB can do the same.

Yeah, but it's good to have unsung players. Can you be less sung then a guy whose name no one can get right?

All hail... Logyn Polsun.

You mean like Kurt Cousins?

I think we may keep 4. It will be interesting to see what happens with the FB position. I think we will carry 4 RB's or 4 TE's, maybe both. We could carry 4 RB's AND 4 TE's and only carry 5 WR's which would result in the same number of skill position players. Especially considering Reed and Carrier are glorified WR's. Paul can fill in as FB and our 4th RB can do the same.

Well, that would only leave 12 places for other offensive spots if you try to have 25 players on O, and 25 on D, with 3 ST (P, K, LS).

So 9 or 10 OL if you go with 3 or 2 QBs. I like to double the OL guys. Thus, 5 makes 10. which leaves only room for 2 QBs.

So I'd rather go with 3 RB, 4 TEs and 5 WRs. Our TE can line up wide anyway. Maybe even line wide someone like Chris Thompson for the fun of it at times.

doubt we go with 5 wides.

Think we'll draft someone.

Yeah going with 2 QB is a possibility, but I still haven't completly ruled out the fact we may draft a QB at some point so we can clear Colt next year.

My personal hope is that we do just that, and draft a guy in the later rounds. QB is the most valuable position in the sport, why not carry 3? IMO, it maximizes the "value" of our team. There seems to be a trend league wide to carry fewer QB's, but I have no idea if the statistics back that up.

Edit:

I really like the Paulsen re-sign. Its dirt cheap with no risk and if he can get back to old form, he's a decent blocking TE with decent hands. 

Since we may only go with 2 QB's instead of 3 this year we may have an extra space for the 4 RB's 4 TE's AND 6 WR's.

I think we draft a QB and the round wouldn't surprise me. I think there's a chance of stashing an UDFA on the PS.

Strange, but I think WR is the only position where there is a definite cut if we draft one. (Ross, because AR is already getting cut)

I think we draft a QB and the round wouldn't surprise me. I think there's a chance of stashing an UDFA on the PS.

Strange, but I think WR is the only position where there is a definite cut if we draft one. (Ross, because AR is already getting cut)

Maybe.  

I think there is a chance that we would carry 4 TEs on the roster, or an extra WR.  Because with the departure of DY, they are not going to sign another FB, so that roster spot will go to somebody.

If they only carry 2 QBs, that's another roster spot that they would pick up, but I would be really shocked if Scot didn't draft a QB to develop.

But there's definitely one spot open for an additional TE or WR.  

Looking at the WRs from last year, assuming DJax, Garcon and Crowder are back, I think everybody else is competing for a roster spot.  Grant is physically limited, but apparently runs great routs.  Ross has tons of speed.  Roberts is hurt, and probably will be cut, or they'll reach an injury settlement.

I almost expect Scot to spend a high-round draft pick on a WR, because if I'm not mistaken, both Garcon and DJax are FAs at the end of next year. And they'll want to stockpile guys so they don't have to go out into the FA market and spend big money on a halfway decent WR.

It's going to be interesting to see what they do at TE and WR, because they're probably looking a couple years down the road as well as for this year.  

Yeah he needs to learn when to give up on a play sometimes. A lot of cases where he fumbled trying to do too much.

It's a decent re-signing though. Paulsen offers something that bit different with his superior blocking ability to the likes of Paul, Reed and Carrier.

Isn't Carrier likely to miss the start of the season? Will be interesting to see how things shake up when he's ready. Was decent last year for us imo.

Maybe.

I think there is a chance that we would carry 4 TEs on the roster, or an extra WR. Because with the departure of DY, they are not going to sign another FB, so that roster spot will go to somebody.

If they only carry 2 QBs, that's another roster spot that they would pick up, but I would be really shocked if Scot didn't draft a QB to develop.

But there's definitely one spot open for an additional TE or WR.

Looking at the WRs from last year, assuming DJax, Garcon and Crowder are back, I think everybody else is competing for a roster spot. Grant is physically limited, but apparently runs great routs. Ross has tons of speed. Roberts is hurt, and probably will be cut, or they'll reach an injury settlement.

I almost expect Scot to spend a high-round draft pick on a WR, because if I'm not mistaken, both Garcon and DJax are FAs at the end of next year. And they'll want to stockpile guys so they don't have to go out into the FA market and spend big money on a halfway decent WR.

It's going to be interesting to see what they do at TE and WR, because they're probably looking a couple years down the road as well as for this year.

yeah, I have no idea. We're poised to lose DJax, Garcon and Reed next year, with nothing behind them. Jamo maybe, but that's it. No running game as of now either. I know we want to address defense in this defense heavy draft, but its a heck of a lot easier to plug some FAs into a defense and have it hold together, than to build a dynamic offense off the wire.

I still think we might have an offense heavy draft.

Archived